LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replace Fuel Injectors how often?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-09, 07:44 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

cel's just dont fix themselves,also....do u have a napa auto parts close by? if so go and ask the guys there for a reputible shop that knows lexus cars
Old 05-23-09, 05:31 PM
goku2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by python
cel's just dont fix themselves,also....do u have a napa auto parts close by? if so go and ask the guys there for a reputible shop that knows lexus cars
we have autozone, napa, etc. etc. but those people don't know **** about anything really. The most "knowledgable" were at napa auto parts coincidentally. Anyways I thought I made it clear that giving the car an Italian tuneup made the CEL go away......

There isn't one thing that I did that made the car magically better, everything I did incrementally made things better, but not good enough. All leading me to believe it's the injectors because things like I did would not fix an issue such that is spark related.

Last edited by goku2; 05-23-09 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-25-09, 09:05 PM
bnk999
Driver School Candidate

If it sat for 2 years, the gas that was in it was varnish. Did you drain the fuel before you ran it? If not I bet that's your ultimate problem. I had a car that sat for a year and the gas was old. That is exactly how it acted. Misfiring, no power, running rough. I changed the fuel filter, and ran fuel injctor cleaner thru it every tankful for about 6 tanks and it slowly got better, then went away altogether. If you take the gas cap off and it smells funky then you're gas has turned to varnish.
Old 05-25-09, 09:51 PM
python
Lexus Champion

its not coincidence that the people at napa were the most knowledgable, and i was suggesting u ask them for a good shop, not to have them diagnose ur car, and the only thing u have made clear is ur ability to keep asking questions but come across as u know what u r doing....u have argued every point people have made and yet here you are with a car that runs like crap....so u just keep being arguementative and see where it gets you...owning a car that runs like crap
Old 05-26-09, 09:23 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Python: I know what you mean but just relax and give him the benefit of the doubt, as maybe he is just trying to learn as much as possible. If you have said all you can constructively, then you don't need to add anything more as your car runs fine. I understand your trying to help with it, but just don't answer his questions if you don't have anything more to add

However Goku2, as Python stated, many people have answered your questions. The problem isn't going to fix itself, but instead you will need to put some time and effort, and definitely money, if that is what you don't want to hear, then I'd suggest not owning a Lexus. Sorry but as a Toy/Lex tech, it is impossible to diagnose a car over the net, let alone see if your injectors are all pulsing, I have given you my 2 cents as a technician. Good luck with your car.
Old 05-26-09, 10:29 AM
goku2
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I know the problem isn't going to fix itself, I'm just trying to run through all the possible scenarios and trying to be critical about each point. I talked to one of the lexus techs and asked them how they would determine which cylinder was misfiring, they said by matching up with the exhaust note, and attaching what I think is basically an oscilloscope to each of the injectors, they could tell which one was misfiring or something. Do you guys know of anything about such procedures? He said he would attach the probes to the wiring harness but when I looked at the wiring harness, I saw that most of the electrical connections are inaccessible unless I ripout the intake manifold. He mentioned maybe probing the connectors near the ECU. Either way, I was hoping you guys would be aware of some diagnostic procedures. Also is anyone able to confirm 100% that you need to take out the intake manifold in order to get to the injectors?
Old 05-26-09, 10:51 AM
python
Lexus Champion

look at ur fuel rails, the manifold does not need to come off. u can remove all the injectors but leave them hooked into the fuel rails and see if they have an even spray pattern...if u r so intent on having ur injectors checked u might as well send em off to witchhunter...http://www.witchhunter.com/
Old 05-26-09, 02:05 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goku2
Yeah I know the problem isn't going to fix itself, I'm just trying to run through all the possible scenarios and trying to be critical about each point. I talked to one of the lexus techs and asked them how they would determine which cylinder was misfiring, they said by matching up with the exhaust note, and attaching what I think is basically an oscilloscope to each of the injectors, they could tell which one was misfiring or something. Do you guys know of anything about such procedures? He said he would attach the probes to the wiring harness but when I looked at the wiring harness, I saw that most of the electrical connections are inaccessible unless I ripout the intake manifold. He mentioned maybe probing the connectors near the ECU. Either way, I was hoping you guys would be aware of some diagnostic procedures. Also is anyone able to confirm 100% that you need to take out the intake manifold in order to get to the injectors?
Well that seems like he is on the right track. There are things that you can plug into the injector clips called noid lights that are basically a light, and when the injectors pulse is lights up. Those are a nice tool, but can be a little pricey from Snap-on or whomever. You can def. pin the ecu and hook up an o-scope to see the firing pattern, but again not everyone has these tools to do this, I don't think a DVOM is going to be quick enough to adjust to the firing. I just rebuilt my engine, I can re-affirm that the injector rails can come out without having to remove the intakes, however if you unbolt the upper intake, it will be removed easier. I mean you can rip it apart, but the trick it to have it running while your diagnosing it so you can identify everything. Those are all good ideas, but it seems like they are just that, and someone with the correct tools will make short work of it, where as we could sit here and guess all day long. An easy test is to remove the injectors, give them a visual test as well as hook them up to 12v, and see if they flow the amount of fluid that is stated per amount of time given, (i.e. 1 liter, per 60 seconds) or whatever Toyota states the flow rate should be, however that can be a little messy. Good luck with your repair.