LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Curious....swap no not the 2jz

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 09:53 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
personally i'd have to say built, bored and stroked 2UZ,5.2-5.5L displacement, massive positive displacement supercharger or bigger twin turbochargers with a V160 6spd would take my motor and trans cake in the LS.
Ok, this is basically the only relivent thing that has been said in the last few posts. I know everyone would love to just drop an LS(x) motor in, but you think rewiring the VVT-i system is harder than "dropping" an LS(x) in your bay? I am sorry, but having actually put some time and research in to this I would be shocked if you would want to even consider this, because who knows what pan and sump you have to use to clear the steering gear? How are you going to make the motor mounts work? How far back does the shifter sit on the T56? Which one do you use, the Mustang, Camaro, or Viper? What about the sizes of the motors? Considering a new LSx motor, most are all drive-by wire. I think you would easily spend far more time creating a new wiring harness for that car and trying to laying out the ecus, or running 2 sets of harnesses? I think some research should be had, otherwise dream away.
Meanwhile... the setup that PD has mentioned would not only be a massive increase in displacement, and would be with 1 Liter of an LS motor, but with the addition of a blower and a 6-speed that will BOLT IN, the shift will be a little off, but nothing a little trimming can do. And who says there's not much to gain from the VVT-i.... I call bull. More horsepower, lower torque curve, better emissions, gas mileage and coil on plugs are nice.... But maybe I don't know what I am talking about...
Old 06-02-09, 09:58 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexozz
VVT-i swap is very involed. I have a friend in the SC forum that had to rewire the entire car to get everything working to factory specs. Not an easy task.
I would argue that it less involved than an LSx swap. When you say factory specs, I assume you mean in order to use his factory accessories, (gauge cluster, etc.). I am thinking the reason why is because your friend's car is Pre-96, and is OBD1. Where as VVT-i came out in 98, and are all OBD2.
Old 06-02-09, 10:08 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It would be cheaper and easier and better to sell your LS and buy a 98+ than to do an engine swap. Almost everything is better on the newer vehicles.

That said the 1st gen 1UZ has the strongest rods, pistons and crankshaft of the series. For power I would strongly consider looking a Harrup's supercharger system using the new Eaton TVS blower. What a great combo.
Not sure what mods (hood?, accesories?) would be required on an LS but love the potential.

Here is a link:
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11383

Old 06-02-09, 10:37 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Ok, this is basically the only relivent thing that has been said in the last few posts. I know everyone would love to just drop an LS(x) motor in, but you think rewiring the VVT-i system is harder than "dropping" an LS(x) in your bay? I am sorry, but having actually put some time and research in to this I would be shocked if you would want to even consider this, because who knows what pan and sump you have to use to clear the steering gear? How are you going to make the motor mounts work? How far back does the shifter sit on the T56? Which one do you use, the Mustang, Camaro, or Viper? What about the sizes of the motors? Considering a new LSx motor, most are all drive-by wire. I think you would easily spend far more time creating a new wiring harness for that car and trying to laying out the ecus, or running 2 sets of harnesses? I think some research should be had, otherwise dream away.
Meanwhile... the setup that PD has mentioned would not only be a massive increase in displacement, and would be with 1 Liter of an LS motor, but with the addition of a blower and a 6-speed that will BOLT IN, the shift will be a little off, but nothing a little trimming can do. And who says there's not much to gain from the VVT-i.... I call bull. More horsepower, lower torque curve, better emissions, gas mileage and coil on plugs are nice.... But maybe I don't know what I am talking about...
you do realize that there is nothing bolt-on about putting a V160 into the LS right? also, the 2uz requires engine mounts as well but Lextreme already sells them.
Old 06-02-09, 11:46 AM
el maestro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this is basically the only relivent thing that has been said in the last few posts. I know everyone would love to just drop an LS(x) motor in, but you think rewiring the VVT-i system is harder than "dropping" an LS(x) in your bay? I am sorry, but having actually put some time and research in to this I would be shocked if you would want to even consider this, because who knows what pan and sump you have to use to clear the steering gear? How are you going to make the motor mounts work? How far back does the shifter sit on the T56? Which one do you use, the Mustang, Camaro, or Viper? What about the sizes of the motors? Considering a new LS1 motor, most are all drive-by wire. I think you would easily spend far more time creating a new wiring harness for that car and trying to laying out the ecus, or running 2 sets of harnesses? I think some research should be had, otherwise dream away.
Believe me man I am no where near considering this.
Im trying to get my stock engine running right as it is. This is just throwing ideas out there so that people that are knowledgeable could put some input.

But like he said any swap is going to require fabbing parts being that everything is custom. As far as the T56 tranny goes I know adapters are sold to shorten where the shifter would go. I remember seeing it on a LSx swapped s13. n/a 400 hp with intake and headers on a Ls1 is plenty of power. Wiring would be the hardest thing but I dont see why it would be something crazy to do.

I dont believe Ls1's are drive by wire... These motors have been swapped into almost anything possible. Im sure all the 240 guys/rx7/miata etc. had a hard time with the wiring but theres plenty of them out there. Now dont be a negative nancy.

Feline aids is the number one cat killer haha

Last edited by el maestro; 06-02-09 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-02-09, 04:28 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Ok, again, I'm sorry for not being understood. I do understand the V16x will not just bolt up, as you need to by the adapter plate, clutch to use stock flywheel, and stuff from a MKIV, like clutch pedal, master/slave etc. I am not saying this is impossible, all I was stating is that it would be easier to just spend the money on existing equipment that has been made to fit. Unlike the LSx motors, I have yet to see another Lexus, besides this one, and a MK4 Supra.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...lexus-ls1.html

If it's been done in a IS, I'm sure an LS would be similar. I searched and found a few sites that everyone seems to be discussing it. I was at a car show a few weeks ago, and there is a guy running a IS3 NA-T that is going LSx at the end of the year.
If you think wiring is going to be the hardest part, I'd advice a little research as no one makes the motor/tranny mounts, a custom driveshaft, firewall will have to be modified, gauge cluster would mostly not be useful, not to mention you'd NEED an LSD, which is probably the cheapest part. After doing a little searching I have found a base number of $10k for a swap in a RX7, that has been done before, many of times. I would agree it could be done for cheaper, but I would like to really see the cost break down, as a 5.3 can be had for less than an LSx, but it takes time and money to break the engine down, or mod. I think I have said everything I needed to, as I have actually done the research and kinda understand what it takes. Best of luck.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 06-02-09 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 04:35 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Many LSx engines are cable throttled. The aftermarket is so abundant not to mention the swap kits available.

All swaps are going to be time consuming, why not put something in with serious aftermarket, tuning and swap support in the first place.

Lets also not forget about the numerous combinations available in GM land. 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, 7.0, etc... Pick up a 5.3 liter truck engine with a 4L60e for little to nothing and go at it.
Old 06-04-09, 07:35 AM
s_ribs
Driver School Candidate

I have thought about how cool an LSx motor would be in an LS400! Coming from the BMW world, it was interesting to see how quickly an aftermarket developed for BMW specific LSx swaps. Crazy to see other cars like Honda Civic's being converted to rear wheel drive with the LSx swap.

Since there's a lot of fitment and wiring work involved with any swap, why not go with the cheapest power available? Killer aftermarket for that engine too.

If you can't afford the cost of a swap or think it's not worth the time... buy a newer car if you want the newer motor - simple enough. Even increasing the displacement and adding a blower to the stock LS400 motor isn't going to be cheap or easy.
Old 06-04-09, 07:47 AM
s_ribs
Driver School Candidate

http://www.speartech.com/

Custom LSx harnesses.

And as long as we're talking about cool swaps... All Lexus on this one!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~bedellracing/v8swap/

Last edited by s_ribs; 06-04-09 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 08:04 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would argue that it less involved than an LSx swap. When you say factory specs, I assume you mean in order to use his factory accessories, (gauge cluster, etc.). I am thinking the reason why is because your friend's car is Pre-96, and is OBD1. Where as VVT-i came out in 98, and are all OBD2.
It's actually a '95, ECU, wire harnesses were all swapped but at the moment VSC/Trac not functioning. No trouble codes popping up, WTF. After market Traction control is supposed to be added with LSD diff.