LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Frankensteining LS400's

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 05:36 PM
SoldOnLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankensteining LS400's

Hello Everyone! It's very good to be a new member of the site and a proud new owner of an LS400. It is, without a doubt, the sweetest car I've ever owned and driven. Now on to the thread...

I recently purchased a 1994 LS400 with high mileage. It starts like a Ferrari and runs and drives beautifully. The body however is wasted. When I got it I thought the big issue was the driver 1/4 panel and some paint. When I later add the frame damage up front AND in the rear I'm a bit less enthused about the car; except that it's the best thing ever to drive. I was looking around CL and found a 240K brown interior very dark green 1991 LS400. He said it ran normal but had transmission issues. I went to look at it and it sounded like an old trucks starter and engine when starting and revved like it too. I handed him my key and told him to go start mine...saying first that I was about to seriously devalue his car. Well he started it and it wasn't long until the $1000 pricetag became $300. Now we're talking!

So here's the deal. I want, very badly, to swap my engine/trans and COMPLETE interior to the new body. I am quite mechanically inclined and have friends galore that are also. I have access to a lift and all the tools. What I am wondering about are pitfalls and ANY/ALL advice.

ENGINE: Is there ANYTHING different between the 1991 LS and 1994 LS as far as the drivetrain is concerned? Will this really be just a simple swap that connects unilaterally? Also...the donor car has TRAC and I can't remember if the 1991 did also or not. IF NOT...will this be a problem?

INTERIOR: OK this actually intimidates me more than the motor swap. The fit and finish and all of the gizmos make it clear that they spent WAY more time designing this place than I have thinking about how to take it apart. I can't have that brown interior (no offense brown interior guys) in my car when I have a complete sweet gray one in my donor car. That being said... HELP!

CLUSTER: I would really like to have the digital dash/odometer if possible also. Does anyone know if the clusters connect/mount the same leaving the only changes to the physicality of the cluster itself? This would be cool but not crucial but hey...I have to tear it all apart anyway.

Please let me know anything you can to help. If there are any kind of exploded-view manuals out there I would love to see those also.

Thanks!

Matt
Old 06-06-09, 06:04 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This should help you alot. www.lexls.com

As far as engine/interior swap. You should be able to swap everything over without any problem at all; it is still a girst gen LS. All digital dash cluster, never seen one in an LS; din't know if one was ever offered in Japan. I know for a fact that they were not offered here in the states.
Old 06-06-09, 06:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you'll have to swap ALL of the wiring: engine harness, ECU, Dash, and possibly some of the interior.

89-92 and 93-94 have different wiring configurations.
Old 06-06-09, 06:42 PM
SoldOnLS
Driver School Candidate

PureDrifter...that's what I'm talkin about! Thank you! ?'s...

Will the engine harness connect to the main harness with the same connector? Will I have to swap the WHOLE cars harnesses over? When you say some of the interior what did you mean? I want the 94 gray to replace the 91 brown. If the whole interiors of both are removed what all will need to be swapped wiring-wise? All of it...even out to the lights?

The frame work is about $1200 and the 1/4 panel is about $500 (once I have the panel) If I buy this guys car for a whopping $300 I will have the 1/4, front bumper and fender I will need and a lot of a car worth of spares. I was getting psyched about a darker color and no herendous crash repairs but...seriously...is this NOT worth it?
Old 06-06-09, 06:52 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you want to look into a newer/better running LS to just replace the current one and if you're fine with putting in the time it will probably be worth it. Sounds like your body is beat pretty hard. Sorry I cant offer any technical advice, but if you're going to have both interiors out you might consider other color combo options. Alot of the SC guys have been going with two tone black/tan or black/gray interiors. SEMS dye will work wonders on dash/trim pieces. Now back to the LS guru's for the real answers.
Old 06-06-09, 06:59 PM
SoldOnLS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Matador. That's good to consider. I would be cool with the gray but if they're both out black would be awesome. With seat control button hardware and EVERYTHING that is in that car changing color to black sounds like a showcar builders or methheads ambition. I'd do that to a newer LS but this is my first one... I'm still getting my feat wet. :P

PureDrifter and trukn1 contradict ea. other and that's a bummer since they both seem to be knowledgeable.

Please keep em coming! I don't want to sleep and have this guy sell it to someone else. Thanks again!
Old 06-06-09, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You would have to pretty much rip everything apart to the bare chassis, and swap it all out. A lot of little things were changed in 93-94 from 90-92, most harnesses are different, etc. Different ecu, different gauges, different seats, different headlights, and tons of other little things.

The suspension should be the same, but the steering system I believe is different as well.

Also, I think in 93-94 the passenger airbag was standard, and was not available in 90-92, so dashboard is different... Different steering wheel as well, slightly different center console, different shifter.

Just be prepared to rip everything apart if you want to go ahead with this swap.

Last edited by Och; 06-06-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-06-09, 07:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Courtesy of lexls.com

Evolution of the LS Series

- Introduction of the First Generation LS400 Series I.
- Top speed = 149.1 mph; 0-60 = 8.2 seconds; 0-400m = 15.8 seconds.

- Improved emissions.
- Front brake calipers were upgraded from single to twin piston for better performance.
- Key-off operation function was added to the power windows and moon roof.
- Daytime running light system was added for all Canadian models.
- Larger switch on the key for increased keyless entry ease of use.
- Conventional flat horn was replaced by a spiral horn to improve sound.
- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 8.2 seconds; 0-400m = 15.8 seconds.

- Basically there were no changes. 1992 LS400's are virtually the same as 1991 LS400's.
- The daytime running light system for Canadian models was slightly changed so that they illuminate at 80-85% of capacity instead of full.
- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 8.2 seconds; 0-400m = 15.8 seconds.

- The LS400 Series II debuts with more than 50 changes, many as a direct response to dealer and customer requests.
- Slightly refined front grille. The vertical bars are less prominent so the horizontal lines show more.
- Headlight beam pattern improved.
- Front lower spoiler and rear undercover colors now matched with vehicle body color.
- Side body molding thickness was increased and larger rocker moldings with body matching color.
- Outside rear view mirror visors were slightly elongated and mirror adjustability increased.
- Larger 16" wheels with a new design.
- Leather door trim inserts became standard.
- Front roof headliner, sun visors, and center visor were changed to fabric.
- Steering wheel was slightly changed and the overdrive switch on the shifter was moved to the side.
- Minor stereo improvements.
- Aluminum radiator.
- EGR and EVAP systems now controlled by the engine ECU.
- A secondary air injection system was added to the emission control system on California spec models.
- Fluid temperature sensor was added to the transmission.
- Revised differential mounts.
- Bigger brakes and electronic brake-pad wear warning system added.
- Front and rear suspension improvements for better ride comfort.
- Steering shaft increased and steering characteristics were revised.
- Automatic light control system added.
- Illuminated entry system revised.
- Instrument cluster revised. Illumination adjusting system, electronic odometer, and exterior temperature gauge added. Warning lights were added and relocated.
- R134a became standard in the air conditioning system. A clean-air filter with odor-removing function was added.
- Keyless entry system revised.
- Lumbar support and vertical adjustments were added to the front passenger seat.
- Front passenger SRS air bag added.
- Seat belt pretensioner functions were added to the front belts.
- Cruise control system revised.
- Trunk lock improved.
- A few other minor improvements....
- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 7.9 seconds; 0-400m = 15.8 seconds.

- Basically there were no changes. 1994 LS400's are virtually the same as 1993 LS400's.
- An EGR gas temperature sensor was now used on all models to conform to OBD-I requirements.
- The daytime running light system for Canadian models was slightly changed so that it now only operated the low-beam headlights.
- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 7.9 seconds; 0-400m = 15.8 seconds.
Old 06-06-09, 07:34 PM
SoldOnLS
Driver School Candidate

F THAT! I will buy it for body parts and sell the rest. Thanks guys!
Old 06-07-09, 12:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by SoldOnLS
F THAT! I will buy it for body parts and sell the rest. Thanks guys!
don't plan to part it out here on CL without first PMing one of the mods (DaveGS4 would be a good guy to start with ) since it's against site policy to buy a car with the intent to part out here on the forums.
Old 06-07-09, 05:06 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

PureDrifter and trukn1 contradict ea. other and that's a bummer since they both seem to be knowledgeable.
between the 2 of us, Pure is more the tech savy than I. Pretty mch what he tells is dead on.
Old 06-07-09, 09:21 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoldOnLS
I recently purchased a 1994 LS400 with high mileage. It starts like a Ferrari and runs and drives beautifully.
You UCF11 guys are either nuts or the mid-model change is something I need to test out...
Old 06-07-09, 10:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

hahah, don't discount yourself that much Trukn1!! you're the resident 1st gen guru
Old 06-15-09, 05:55 PM
DoktorYes
Rookie

The 1st thing you should do is get the 94LS400 Service Manuals Vol.1 & Vol.2. I would not tackle engine or transmission work with out them.Why waste your time guessing if what your doing is correct. They will probably save the cost, on the 1st job you do yourself.Just a thought.I think you can get a used set on EBAY.