LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear axel 91 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 05:41 PM
Reedearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axel 91 LS400

Hello, Does anyone know of a tutorial for replacing the rear axle Driver side? or entire rear end? Mine is making the "Clunk..." and axle slides freely into and out of the differential. I have a post for a "Clunk/pop" coming from my driver side rear wheel. I took the wheel off to inspect the brakes again, (looks fine), and found that the axle can slide quite a bit. The other side (good side) when pulled or pushed does slide but just a bit. The side in question moves several inches and if pushed hard makes the very same "Clunk" sound when it hit the wheel assembly. Logic tells me this is the problem, and it makes sense now, the sound only happens when you give the car the gas (torque) and does not do it going down a hill (coasting), but only if you romp on it. I tried to do some research on rear axle problems but come up with nothing. I have reviewed the tutorial on "How to replace the rear axle carrier arm bushing" but that is not this. I am looking for some more information if possible.
Reedearl

Last edited by Reedearl; 06-10-09 at 10:14 AM. Reason: more
Old 06-09-09, 06:03 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you that what you describe isn't normal. I just replaced my two axle's and they didn't have that kind of play in them. I didn't try to rebuild them because I've heard it a pretty messy job. New OEM's online will run you around $350 per side, or you can find reman's online (Cardone) for around $65 each plus $60 each core charge. Did you check to see if the axle bolts out by the wheels are tight. Tourque is 212 ft/lb I believe.
Old 06-09-09, 07:31 PM
Reedearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JimsGx, no I haven't looked. Did you have a picture or manual when you did your work? I was trying to find something online but couldn't see any. The "Sticky" posting for online manuals (at the top of the listings) is not there (the automotive ones). Why did you replace your axles? What were your problems?
Old 06-10-09, 06:11 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedearl
JimsGx, no I haven't looked. Did you have a picture or manual when you did your work? I was trying to find something online but couldn't see any. The "Sticky" posting for online manuals (at the top of the listings) is not there (the automotive ones). Why did you replace your axles? What were your problems?
Up until last year in MA they required older cars to be run up on a dyno to check the emissions every other year. When the garage doing the inspection chained my car down to the dyno, they ran the chain over the top of the right rear axle instead of under it and locked the axle down with the chain binder. They then proceeded to run the car up on the dyno, which blew my differential and bent my right rear axle. I didn't have a repair manual. Just winged it.