LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 12:33 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No leaks from the EGR valve(there's no fluorescence around the hoses). I took off the manifold and I can definitely see where it's leaking from. I didn't seal the top part of the water pump well enough. I'm going to have to take everything apart to get to it.

If you look at the picture below, it's behind the thermostat housing that's part of the water pump. I circled the connection. Sucks but at least I'm good at tearing it apart now.

Hopefully my compressor will have pressure to use it. I don't want to remove all those bolts by hand.
Attached Thumbnails Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-hose.jpg   Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-hose2.jpg   Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-hose3.jpg   Found where my coolant is leaking to but need more help-hose4.jpg  
Old 07-03-09, 12:35 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Dang it! I just read your comment and lexls tutorial and I didn't replace the o-ring as well as lubing it up with soapy water.
Old 07-03-09, 07:39 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, that's what were here for, as we all make mistakes. Now that you have to take it apart again, you surely this time you will know a little more about the build. Any case, about the o-ring, some used soapy water, I used silicone to help it slide, and they it seats in place, either way it doesn't matter how you lube it, just make sure it is.
Old 07-04-09, 03:26 PM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Apparently finding an o-ring for cars coolant systems is very hard to find. I just used the Black RTV and put a thick bead around the pipe and sealed it up. I put everything back together and let it dry overnight.

So far no leaks and I guess I'll see if that fixes it. Hopefully it does or else I'll have to order that o-ring from a Lexus dealership.

Thanks again and hoping not to have to tear it down again. On another note, the timing belt install was so much easier now!
Old 07-04-09, 03:48 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rx7guy
Apparently finding an o-ring for cars coolant systems is very hard to find. I just used the Black RTV and put a thick bead around the pipe and sealed it up. I put everything back together and let it dry overnight.

So far no leaks and I guess I'll see if that fixes it. Hopefully it does or else I'll have to order that o-ring from a Lexus dealership.

Thanks again and hoping not to have to tear it down again. On another note, the timing belt install was so much easier now!
As you mentioned, you might have to order it from Lexus, it is less than $5 last time I checked. I'm thinking that the RTV will hold, however... long term, if it were me, I'd order the o-ring and do it again. But that's my 2 cents. Hey Rx7, I bet your a lot smarter because of this whole experience, now that you've done it a few times, next time someone asks you a question, you'll hopefully have some educated answer with your first have experiences.
Old 07-05-09, 04:59 PM
KMinAF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a suggestion, when no paper gasket is used, use Toyota's FIPK it works better than your basic Pep Boy stuff. Use Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket when a paper gasket is called for. Either way, use any sealant sparingly to avoid "squish out" which can lead to bits of sealant getting into places it doesn't belong and causing extreme engine damage
Old 07-06-09, 12:44 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
As you mentioned, you might have to order it from Lexus, it is less than $5 last time I checked. I'm thinking that the RTV will hold, however... long term, if it were me, I'd order the o-ring and do it again. But that's my 2 cents. Hey Rx7, I bet your a lot smarter because of this whole experience, now that you've done it a few times, next time someone asks you a question, you'll hopefully have some educated answer with your first have experiences.
I might be a lot more experienced now but the wife isn't very happy with me spending so much time with the car. Good thing she's busy with school and work.

:0)
Old 07-06-09, 12:45 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Now I can go back to my original project, single turbo project on the RX-7!
Old 07-10-09, 11:00 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

No leaks! After burping the coolant system and putting in water for 2 days it's gone! Now I guess there's the coolant light coming on for the first 5 minutes of starting the car in the mornings but goes away after that. Doesn't leak any more though.

Any ideas?