LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

knock sensor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 01:57 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the knock sensors are new and the wiring pigtail is new.....So it might be something from the primary wiring to the ecm.....or something is causing them to pull timing back
I have read these sensors are really sensitive....I will check the computer this weekend
the computer is under the passenger side dash????????

give me a few weeks and i will tear it apart again if i need too.It bothers me and i have to fix it lol...... it just cost allot buying new gaskets each time

that is great it only cost you 200 dollars.it is a hard job getting to them so you got a good deal
Old 08-10-09, 04:04 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, the gaskets are about 40 bucks at the local auto parts store from here
and the mechanic included it in the actual work but i provided the sensors and wiring.

Keep us all updated. I know knock sensors aren't good times for any LS owners.
Old 08-10-09, 04:25 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

well i have been replacing my throttle body gasket, egr gasket, egr pipe gasket each time plus intake gaskets

ok i get no reading when checking my original sensors. which i think this is how it is supposed to be

my original wiring i get a ohm reading on one side.and nothing on the other...

at first i had only 1 sensor code...after putting the new sensors in, i ended up with 2 codes.

I am going to install my old sensors with the new wiring. I will also check the wiring from computer.... the plastic covering had a section broke and i could see the wires.so i will check them
Old 08-10-09, 04:32 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my main thing is checking continuity throughout the wiring.
Somewhere along the way is the problem. And if all else fails, maybe the new sensors are bad also.
Old 08-15-09, 10:14 AM
vaughn37
Pole Position

Good News.....I put the old knock sensors back..and now i have no codes.
Oreilys auto gave me a full refund for the bwd knock sensors.

I can not tell any difference in the way the car drives...some of the squeeling is still there but not as bad....im not sure if it is the alternator,power steering pump or transmission.

bottle line..for something like the knock sensors.only buy toyota.
also if anyone does any type of work around the intake.....make sure you buy a magnetic antenna......best tool i have ever bought .
Old 09-09-12, 09:41 PM
Easymkay
Driver School Candidate

Default Experience with this problem

I replaced knock sensors for a gentleman, put it all back together, and the motor threw the sensor code of the opposite bank of cylinders. We put our heads together and solved it . The problem was the fuel injector seals. Faulty fuel injection seal could/did produce THE SAME ORIGINAL combustion/misfire conditions that throw knock sensor codes in the first place, very misleadingly. The same passage of time that causes encased metal knock sensors to go bad did certainly cause decay of both the rubber FI seals, as well as rubber hoses under the hood. CONCLUSION: plan on replacing at least the intake gaskets (x2); intake to main TB (x4); throttle body (x1) gaskets. Steel EGR gaskets at the battery and firewall sides of intake assembly were replaceable. Plan for replacing FI seals on at least a few cylinders, if not all. The seal that directly abuts the intake manifold is the worst/most cracked/hardened. Otherwise, on this project, planning to replace or engineer a pigtail solution for the two knock sensors (especially), as well as possibly the 8 FI electrical connectors, is a must. Might as well replace the PCV, spark plugs, and some small vacuum hoses as well.