LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

wheel styles

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 05:15 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey man, welcome to CL. i agree, the stock 15" wheels are awful for such a nice car.
look around on here a lot at the different styles of wheels and what really works on the LS.
there's more to putting wheels on a car than just whether or not they fit and if your friends think they look good. my friends have basically no idea about vip until i explained it over and over, they thought my wheel choices were weird. "why ddidn't you just get some 20's?" was the usual question. my response is that i didnt' want 20's. 20's are not an automatic status symbol like people would have you believe, cheap 20's are simply cheap wheels. high end 18's get more respect from the people who know than cheap 20's.

for a good deal on some high end wheels, look for imported used JDM wheels on ebay.
your bolt pattern is 5x114.3. you should look for a set of staggered 18's.
Old 07-24-09, 07:10 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughn37
Could I join the VIP club with a set of these

if by vip you mean my "vehicle is a pickup". those are truck wheels.
Old 07-24-09, 07:24 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
hey man, welcome to CL. i agree, the stock 15" wheels are awful for such a nice car.
look around on here a lot at the different styles of wheels and what really works on the LS.
there's more to putting wheels on a car than just whether or not they fit and if your friends think they look good. my friends have basically no idea about vip until i explained it over and over, they thought my wheel choices were weird. "why ddidn't you just get some 20's?" was the usual question. my response is that i didnt' want 20's. 20's are not an automatic status symbol like people would have you believe, cheap 20's are simply cheap wheels. high end 18's get more respect from the people who know than cheap 20's.

for a good deal on some high end wheels, look for imported used JDM wheels on ebay.
your bolt pattern is 5x114.3. you should look for a set of staggered 18's.
Amen - I can't tell you how many cars in Houston have 20+ wheels and the look is terrible. Big, nasty chrome behemoths that make the car look terrible IMO. Some with 20+ 's look fantastic when work is done to the other parts of the car - uh like suspension
Old 07-24-09, 01:49 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

VIP Pronounced VIP, or bippu (not vee-eye-pee as many Americans might assume), it has been the hottest trend to come out of Japan since the JDM craze of the late 1990's. VIP, from its first inception within Japan's society, has been labeled and scrutinized as Yakuza-influenced vehicles. The Toyota Celsior, Nissan President and Laurel are among Japan's most popular vehicles in the fast growing world of bippu. VIP fanatics take these large, more affordable luxury sedans, and add custom rims or even an air bag suspension, transforming these average street commuters into sleek, more glamorous vehicles. While today's VIP has evolved into more of a glitzy, show-stopping genre, the history behind the evolution of VIP started off in a completely different path. It is often rumored that the VIP trend off sprung from Japan's more notable crime syndicate. The relationship between the Yakuza and VIP-type vehicles began with numerous stories of Japan's most powerful gangster at the time Yamaguchi-gumi, Oyabun, Yoshinori Watanabe was rumored to be driven around town in a Celsior (LS 400). High class vehicles such as the Mercedes SL and BMW M-class are symbolic of high society status but often come with a deadly price. Driving in expensive European cars makes easy targets for rival gangs and police, which only endangered the high ranking Oyabun's of the Yakuza. Modified with dark limo tint and retractable curtains for privacy, Yakuza members have made themselves an invisible target among society and law enforcement as the high powered organization once known for the glitzy lifestyle has settled into a world of underground society.
Old 07-24-09, 01:57 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

the Wheel's I posted. they are for a truck? I really like the design.
Whatever rim's I get they will be 18 inch.
I really do not care about the VIP thing,I just wanted you guy's to post some rim styles.
thanks again for all the welcome's

btw if any of you need the factory manual.I have it on pdf...just send me a message with your email
Old 07-24-09, 02:18 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

For 200$ get some nice used 18's from a 350Z or Supra wheels etc. Lots to choose from since the LS uses the +40mm ish offset and 114.3x5 of most of the japanese sports cars. And it can pack quite enormous rubber in the wheel wells, VIP chrome rims are not my taste, get something performancy and some clear lenses for the front (I know it sounds civicy, but it actually makes it look much more modern)
Old 07-24-09, 04:28 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by steveski
Amen - I can't tell you how many cars in Houston have 20+ wheels and the look is terrible. Big, nasty chrome behemoths that make the car look terrible IMO. Some with 20+ 's look fantastic when work is done to the other parts of the car - uh like suspension
you're from houston eh?

you'll probably laugh when you see what i bought for my ls then.