LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking to buy '98 LS400, should I be worried about it's high mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 07:02 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy '98 LS400, should I be worried about it's high mileage?

I am totally in love with this car, it's everything I'm looking for minus navigation but I can live without that. I can't really check it out since I'm about 1,800 miles away from it, but the asking price is under $5,000 and I can't figure out it that's because of the miles or if there's something else I should know about the car...

What do you guys think? I know these cars/motors can handle the mileage but when people mention that, are they just speaking of the anomalies? 222,XXX on a '98 is a lot of miles no matter how you cut it, right?

I just found it last night, I'll be calling the seller today to ask (PLEASE feel free to add to my list, that's kind of the point of the thread...)

Why the high miles?
Have the timing belt/water pump been changed recently?
What kind of MPG are you seeing (since I'm assuming those are highway miles...)?
How much tread left on the tires?

IN GREAT CONDITION 1998 LEXUS LS 400 WITH 220K MILES COMES WITH POWER EVRYTHING POWER WINDOW POWER DOOR LOCKS POWER MIRROR ALLOY WHEELS SUNROOF ICE COLD A/C LEATHER WITH POWER SEATS CRUISE CONTROL AND MUCH MORE THE CAR LOOKS AND DRIVES VERY GOOD. THANK YOU

Last edited by I'mStock; 07-31-09 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 07:27 AM
RonV
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the car it would be perfect except the miles, I love the blk on blk and they already mono color the car so its ready for wheels and suspension. again the only thing about that car is the miles, if you can handle that then and the drive to Florida then its a go.
Old 07-31-09, 07:30 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RonV
I like the car it would be perfect except the miles, I love the blk on blk and they already mono color the car so its ready for wheels and suspension. again the only thing about that car is the miles, if you can handle that then and the drive to Florida then its a go.
I love black on black, and I've been looking forever for a clean example with air suspension so I'm trying not to let my judgment be clouded here.

As long as the service on the car has been kept up, the miles aren't a big deal, right?
Old 07-31-09, 07:33 AM
RonV
Rookie

Originally Posted by I'mStock
I love black on black, and I've been looking forever for a clean example with air suspension so I'm trying not to let my judgment be clouded here.

As long as the service on the car has been kept up, the miles aren't a big deal, right?
Well it depends, it could be great then you get it and it will need things. I can tell you just by looking at the pics you need hood struts and on a car like this if mine hood struts were bad its only $150 to fix and if they could fix that then what else to they not fix?
Old 07-31-09, 07:35 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RonV
I can tell you just by looking at the pics you need hood struts and on a car like this if mine hood struts were bad its only $150 to fix and if they could fix that then what else to they not fix?
Excellent point.
Old 07-31-09, 07:44 AM
mpatrizio
Driver School Candidate

I got a pair of hood struts for my '98 on Ebay for $40.
Old 07-31-09, 07:46 AM
RonV
Rookie

I picked mine up in Orlando with 128K but when I got it back it needed a wheel bearing and a O2 Sensor a brake job and the hood struts but im very picky so I did everything needed now I took apart the interior and Sueded all the grey pieces black
Old 07-31-09, 07:46 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mpatrizio
I got a pair of hood struts for my '98 on Ebay for $40.
I appreciate the help, but that's beside the point.
Old 07-31-09, 07:53 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I would also take note that this particular car has the air suspension. If you look closely at the under hood picture you will see the top of the air struts as well as the button to inside the car next to the shift lever.

You'll want to make sure that they have either been replaced or don't leak.

Also, at 220k miles you are probably looking at replacement of oxygen sensors, plugs, and fuel filter. See if that has already been done.

Then again, it may be a perfect car and the price is right.
Old 07-31-09, 07:55 AM
RonV
Rookie

agreed the price is cool but I only paid $6200 for mine with 128K on it. There out there you just have to look for them
Old 07-31-09, 08:06 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

If you mant navigation you would have to get a newer model because i dont think they had navi for the '98 LS400's. that LS looks what ive been looking for.. but to many miles to buy the car. look for something to buy for less money.
Old 07-31-09, 08:11 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lamar411
that LS looks what ive been looking for.. but to many miles to buy the car. look for something to buy for less money.
That doesn't make sense... You telling me the car has too many miles to purchase, but that I should look for a cheaper one? One with less miles would be more expensive, obviously...

I can only assume you're telling me to look for a more affordable car, like I can't afford an LS.
Old 07-31-09, 08:31 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't let the mileage deter you from purchase. But do ensure things have been maintained. Ask to see service record showing timing belt replacement, and so on. If the owner doesn't have them.. it is going to be a tough call.

These cars can go 350-450k without batting an eye IF maintained. If they aren't, then of course like anything else they will turn into a piece of junk.

I have 240,xxxx on my 1994 LS400 and it runs fantastic. Though I went through a month inspection with the master mechanic who sold it to me, and actually showed me the work he had done. (He had the car on the rack doing various things to it before he sold it to me) -- He was a bit obsessive about getting all the small details fixed before I could buy it.

I ended up paying 4k'ish for it, and it couldn't have been a better value.

The car looks sharp, Black on black is a favorite, and you do have the 'year' of the car in your favor price wise.

Look up the blue book (www.kbb.com) And use that to negotiate a little if need be.

Again, this is all going to depend on true maintenance. If it is up to date and has been taken care of (which likely is the truth due to the great care of the rest of the care) then I would say go for it.
Old 07-31-09, 08:40 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neofate
Don't let the mileage deter you from purchase. But do ensure things have been maintained. Ask to see service record showing timing belt replacement, and so on. If the owner doesn't have them.. it is going to be a tough call.

These cars can go 350-450k without batting an eye IF maintained. If they aren't, then of course like anything else they will turn into a piece of junk.

I have 240,xxxx on my 1994 LS400 and it runs fantastic. Though I went through a month inspection with the master mechanic who sold it to me, and actually showed me the work he had done. (He had the car on the rack doing various things to it before he sold it to me) -- He was a bit obsessive about getting all the small details fixed before I could buy it.

I ended up paying 4k'ish for it, and it couldn't have been a better value.

The car looks sharp, Black on black is a favorite, and you do have the 'year' of the car in your favor price wise.

Look up the blue book (www.kbb.com) And use that to negotiate a little if need be.

Again, this is all going to depend on true maintenance. If it is up to date and has been taken care of (which likely is the truth due to the great care of the rest of the care) then I would say go for it.
I plan on asking about service records for sure, thanks.

I already KBB'd it and even with 220,000 entered in, it booked at around 6k, I believe. Kinda surprised me.
Old 07-31-09, 08:42 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Yeah:

Excellent $6,600

Good $5,950

Fair $5,125

Quick Reply: Looking to buy '98 LS400, should I be worried about it's high mileage?