LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New to the forum. checkout my ride!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 08:14 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP92Ls400
I smell haters!! Its all good though, like i said, everyone has their own opinions. The fact is, the car looks and rides great, and definatly emits a VIP ora. I have been following the scene and "trends" for quite some time now. I could have chosen many different wheels, including the typical choices, but these came along and they were for me, money was not an issue. I have just begun the transformation of my ls400 and i will keep you updated on the progress. All i know is, I get lots of love wherever I go!!!
just out of curiosity: why do you want the "vip" label so bad? is every car mildly dropped on some wheels vip? cause that's what you got. ftr, i feel most people in the u.s. have a vip vision rather than a vip car. a vip car is a complete build, until then you're just "in progress".

you really think you have the same presence as something like this:

now all that was general but feel free to take this personal: if you are really so into vip (not super street's "how to build a vip car for $5k" article) then you know cheap ****** doesn't fly.

your build - cheap parts = stock

take it how you want to take it. fix it, forget your fascination with labels, and/or continue to contribute to the degradation of vip style in the u.s. doesn't matter to me...
Old 08-08-09, 09:20 AM
VIP92Ls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ls400 in the picture is definatly a clean VIP car, but not something I want my ls400 to be. I think maybe some people here are a little too diehard, just like any "trend followers". I like the VIP look, but I will not follow it to a tee, just to be labled as VIP. I want to mix classic lexus, sport, and VIP to create a car for me. No "dinner plate" wheels for me. VIP is about more that parts on a car.....
Old 08-08-09, 10:20 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok guys, this thread is geting a little out of hand. Bottom line is the car is yours to mod as you see fit. While it may not be to the concensus of most of those who have previously posted ,since you are passing it off as a VIP build, it is still your money and your build. I personally like what you have done with the car so far, however as I stated b4, the wheels were just not to my personal taste but look ok. I think you have found out, quickly, that there are some really "die hard" VIP enthusiasts here in this forum as well; so when you speak of being such be prepared for some HEAVY criticism. When you use the VIP title, your mods pretty much need to follow this train of thought; GO WIDE, GO LOW, THINK FLUSH, OR GO HOME. Lol!! The LS is a VIP true platform, and one can have an incredibly sic build with he right mods. I know you stated that your car is a work in progress, but if you plan to "be a little different" as you stated, then you would fall more into the category of VIP INSPIRED. Nothing wrong with that at all, as you combine some elements of the VIP style with those of your own vision. Don't take anything personal here, as we are all helpful with one another. You're pretty new to these forums, so yeah, they gonna make ya pay your dues first.
Old 08-08-09, 11:08 AM
VIP92Ls400
Driver School Candidate

I competely agree!!! A "VIP Inspired" title is absolutly correct! I see all your points, and I am just trying to go a slightly different route, thats all. I truely appreciate a "true" VIP build and give them the utmost respect, its just not for me. I have only begun the build, so the package is not complete, and will definatly be a "VIP Inspired" build. No hard feelings......
Old 08-08-09, 11:12 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

The ls400 in the picture is definatly a clean VIP car, but not something I want my ls400 to be. I think maybe some people here are a little too diehard, just like any "trend followers". I like the VIP look, but I will not follow it to a tee, just to be labled as VIP. I want to mix classic lexus, sport, and VIP to create a car for me. No "dinner plate" wheels for me. VIP is about more that parts on a car.....
i find it humorous you lash out ("trend folllowers") yet are labeling your under that "trend" without even following it.

if you think the style of your wheels is what's keeping you from even a "vip style/inspired/in progress" then you're wrong. your constant references to "typical" "dinner plate" wheels shows your lack of exposure to what's really going on in vip. yes, they are common but there is no standard. you're effort to be different is not different at all as far as style goes...

where it is different is quality. cheap, cast, faux-multipiece wheels are not up to par. i won't even speak on the orange hotness of k-sport.

so yeah, i'm a die-hard in reference to my views (which are different than other die-hards). you want to take a style and water it down. i'm not going to apaologize, show mercy, or bite my tongue.

you say "here's my ls" and that's cool. you like cheap ****. so what? doesn't bother me one bit. you say "here's my vip style ls" and you're gonna get checked.

and just to make it clear, i do my own thing. being informed and being a follower isn't the same thing at all. i have gained the wisdom to realize when my **** doesn't fall into a category just stop calling it that.

even if i was a follower, building a car in a certain style to fit within a label isn't half as bad as building a car however i felt like it and trying to force a square peg in a round hole.
Old 08-08-09, 11:15 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 08-08-09, 11:33 AM
VIP92Ls400
Driver School Candidate

man, I really struck a nerve here!!! This is good stuff! Once again, just cause a part is affordable, doesnt mean its cheap. I researced all options before purchasing any parts, for 2 years! I dont see the point in spending huge amounts of money on parts when there are other quality options. Style can be affordable. Its not like I put 20 inch chrome wheels with cut springs and now Im calling it a VIP ride. No matter what you say, the setup is clean, and definatly gives a nod to VIP. And it will go lower when I roll the fenders and the wheels WILL be flush = the proper stance. remember.. affordable and cheap are not the same.
Old 08-08-09, 11:33 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey blkonblk whered you find that pic of the 10? I love it, the fender work is to die for haha!
Old 08-08-09, 12:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

I competely agree!!! A "VIP Inspired" title is absolutly correct! I see all your points, and I am just trying to go a slightly different route, thats all. I truely appreciate a "true" VIP build and give them the utmost respect, its just not for me. I have only begun the build, so the package is not complete, and will definatly be a "VIP Inspired" build. No hard feelings......
problem resolved
Old 08-08-09, 02:08 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

man, I really struck a nerve here!!! This is good stuff! Once again, just cause a part is affordable, doesnt mean its cheap. I researced all options before purchasing any parts, for 2 years! I dont see the point in spending huge amounts of money on parts when there are other quality options. Style can be affordable. Its not like I put 20 inch chrome wheels with cut springs and now Im calling it a VIP ride. No matter what you say, the setup is clean, and definatly gives a nod to VIP. And it will go lower when I roll the fenders and the wheels WILL be flush = the proper stance. remember.. affordable and cheap are not the same.
affordable and cheap are not always the same thing but k-sport and cheap sure as hell are.

anyways, i feel the debate has run it's course. enjoy your car!

Originally Posted by Brandicus
hey blkonblk whered you find that pic of the 10? I love it, the fender work is to die for haha!
from the sessions event thread on ljc.
Old 08-08-09, 02:47 PM
VIP92Ls400
Driver School Candidate

i dont know if you have heard, but Ksport has re-designed their coilovers. I did hear some bad comments about them, but when I talked to them before purchasing them, they assured me that they took previous problems and addressed them. I have the latest design and they are very high quality. The housings are all black with the only orange being the perches and the top mount. The strut body is fully threaded so when you adjust them, you never limit your shock travel. They are 32 way adjustable, and you can adjust spring tension as well. Some higher priced units dont offer the same features. And they also come with a 1 year warranty. The ride is very controlled, without being too harsh. Just thought I would let people know that they are improved from previous models in case people didnt know.
Old 08-08-09, 02:54 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

i've heard. takes a long time to recover from the kind of damage they did to their reputation though. personally, taiwanese off-the-shelf rebadges don't appeal to me regardless of whether they're "good enough" or not.
Old 08-08-09, 06:36 PM
VIP92Ls400
Driver School Candidate

what a d-bag. i will make sure I check with you to make sure what parts are ok.
Old 08-08-09, 07:21 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

car looks nice....I don't care about the VIP theme....I will do to my car what I can afford. I like the stance of the VIP cars.but I think it is unpractical.
Old 08-08-09, 07:50 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

what a d-bag. i will make sure I check with you to make sure what parts are ok.
LOL

I'm a "d-bag" because I have higher standards for what I put on my car? Or am I a "d-bag" because I know about what I'm talking about?

I could give a damn what you do to your car and I could give a damn if you come on a public forum looking for praise but get put in your place instead. You get out what you put in.

Quick Reply: New to the forum. checkout my ride!