LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

BCR coilovers on ls400

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 01:28 PM
1Bentley
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
Thanks. I have Bilstein HD with H&R Springs. Springs are set on lower perch as Bilstein HD's have (2) settings. It gives about 2" drop all around.

I would buy coilovers definitely - you get lowered stance and adjust-ability. I have decent stance but for me to stiffen the spring rate I have to get creative and use progressive polymer foam bumpers and coil rubber inserts. It is fine for most people but I built my LS to be responsive (sway bars, strut tower bars, poly bushings, etc.).

Coilovers are the way to go. Based on many members here Megan's are the real deal for under $900.
To "stiffen the spring rate", couldn't you just get bilstein springs like hypercoils with a higher spring rate?
Old 08-21-09, 02:03 PM
g3t0ut
Rookie

D2 and Ksport are the same company, atleast as far as i know. i have had both brand coilovers and the both come with the exact same manuals ect. just with their own label on the front and they both share the same parent company. Also i never noticed much difference between them ride wise.
I am currently running megans, and they ride much softer then d2/ksport.
Old 08-21-09, 08:35 PM
Mugen_1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ What settings are you running your Megans on?

I'm running 16 in front and 24 in the back. Only had them for a day so I haven't had time to really play with them yet.
Old 08-21-09, 10:12 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bentley
To "stiffen the spring rate", couldn't you just get bilstein springs like hypercoils with a higher spring rate?
I haven't heard of those. Cool option though if they could work. I thought of buying custom coils from Summit, JC Whitney, etc. to use in the past to use with my Bilstein HD's but it just isn't the way to go. The Bilstein HD's are not designed for lowering more than 2" - causes them to bottom out. I am basically keeping my setup since I have so many miles and I will replace it soon with a 430.

What I have works well but coilovers are definitely the best option tho.
Old 08-21-09, 10:25 PM
1Bentley
Rookie

Originally Posted by steveski
I haven't heard of those. Cool option though if they could work. I thought of buying custom coils from Summit, JC Whitney, etc. to use in the past to use with my Bilstein HD's but it just isn't the way to go. The Bilstein HD's are not designed for lowering more than 2" - causes them to bottom out. I am basically keeping my setup since I have so many miles and I will replace it soon with a 430.

What I have works well but coilovers are definitely the best option tho.
What I meant to say was Hypercoils for Bilstein shocks. Hypercoil is a brand many consider to be one of the best springs available.
Old 08-24-09, 07:28 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool - I understand. I will look at them - curious now.
Old 08-26-09, 02:48 PM
g3t0ut
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
^^ What settings are you running your Megans on?

I'm running 16 in front and 24 in the back. Only had them for a day so I haven't had time to really play with them yet.
im set at 8/16 mainly because my car is really low and when i had it set softer it was rubbing alot, also i have not relocated my wiring harness that goes through the front wheel wells yet and i dont want to rub through it. so until i can afford skinnier tires then im gonna have to keep it where it is it is still rides pretty nice. how are you liking them?
Old 08-26-09, 04:14 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

megan FTW

mine are set at 16/21 with the rims on and with the stockies and lowered another inch and a half theyr set at 19/21

love em
Old 08-26-09, 06:56 PM
g3t0ut
Rookie

nice, i need to get my rims on.. here is my stance on stockies..

and lowest i had them.. and still had thread to go lower
Old 08-26-09, 07:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

......you adjusted the top locknuts didnt you, changing the preload on the springs...?
Old 08-26-09, 07:29 PM
g3t0ut
Rookie

sorry for getting off topic 1Bentley. but from my experience it is much better to spend the extra $$ and get coil overs, not only will you get a little better ride quality, they are much more versitile. if at anytime in the future you want to change your stance you wont be spending more for a different set of springs or having to worry about anything else. From my experience D2s/ksports are well built, i had mine D2s on my mr2 for about a year and they took a good beating during that time i did quiet a few auto cross events and i never had any problems and they never leaked or anything. Megans are much softer and the ride on street is more forgiving then D2s but they are still sporty and make a huge difference compared to stock. For a luxury car like the ls i prefer the megans over D2s or ksports.
In the end it comes down to what your willing to spend
Old 08-26-09, 07:37 PM
g3t0ut
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
......you adjusted the top locknuts didnt you, changing the preload on the springs...?
actually i didnt, correct me if i am wrong but i believe that adjusting preload viods warrantee, and im not prepared to do that.. just yet..
Old 08-27-09, 03:20 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by g3t0ut
actually i didnt, correct me if i am wrong but i believe that adjusting preload viods warrantee, and im not prepared to do that.. just yet..
AFAIK it doesnt void warranty, but from the angle of ur last picture it looked a lot lower down than the perches will allow you to go. there's only so much room in the bottom mount to thread the sleeve into. there is a point where the strut will stop threading into the bottom mount and you'll still have thread left.
Old 08-27-09, 05:36 AM
g3t0ut
Rookie

i see what you are saying. When the bottom mount has been lowered as far as it will go there is still thread left on the strut, and to go any lower you would actually have to decrease preload by moving the spring further down towards the bottom mount. This will allow you to lower static ride hieght but decrease shock travel which makes it more prone to damage. i would be surprised to find that doing so wouldnt void your waranty.

I haven't messed with the preload. and in the picture you are talking about the car was not even drivable, the exhaust was scrapping the ground and the wheels rubbing the inside of the wheel wells. im not sure how much more the bottom mount would have gone i didnt really check. i am wondering though if you can put bags on megans, and if so what type.
Old 08-27-09, 07:03 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

"preload" only applies in the opposite direction (compressing springs under no load).

dropping the spring perch is still "no preload" but, as mentioned, reduces travel and increases the chance of bottoming out the damper and releasing the magic juice.

Quick Reply: BCR coilovers on ls400