LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My LS is DONE (well, for now)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-09, 08:34 PM
Mugen_1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My LS is DONE (well, for now)

This project has been two months in the making, and I've had tons of headaches along the way. Here's the story (apologies for length...if you don't want to read it, skip it):

I bought 20" x 8.5" MRR GT1s for all four corners. I didn't want to run staggered for the sake of getting more life out of being able to rotate the tires. I take my car to have them installed at a tire shop, only to be informed that I'll need 1/8" spacers to clear the front calipers. The shop says they can't order them anymore, so I start calling around. A local Advance Auto Parts says they have them for $10 a piece, and I order two. I'm told they'll be here in two days. Three days later and no word from Advance, I drop by to see if they might have come in. Turns out, the employee "forgot" to order them (even as I read him my credit cart #, etc over the phone). This happens on a Thursday, so it would be Monday before they came in...and they finally do.

I take my car back to the shop, only to have them tell me that Advance ordered the WRONG size spacers...they had ordered 1/4" units. So, I go back to Advance, and explain the situation. They said someone else returned some smaller ones, and to try those. I take the smaller ones back to the tire shop, only to find out that those are also too large. So finally the tire shop custom orders them, and I get them two days later. It's been nearly two weeks at this point, and my GT1s are just collecting dust. Finally the spacers come in late on a Friday, and my wheels are mounted and ready to go the following Saturday morning.

*whew*

Next up are the Megans I ordered from Nigel. I have trouble locating anyone around my location who either has or rents and Eastwood fender roller. After a week and a half of searching, I post a bulletin on MySpace (lame, right?) asking if anyone knows somebody who has one. A guy in the next town over says he knows a guy who has/does/rents one, and I get in contact with him. One Wednesday night I take the car to his house to have them rolled. His legion of 240SX owners is present, and the guy himself owns a '97 240SX with an LS1 swap. A job that was supposed to take three hours ended up taking nearly five, and I had minimal paint cracking. The passenger side front fender came out the worst, only because I learned at that point that the fender had been repainted.

Rolling done, I find a shop in my town that says they'll install the coils for $125 since I'm supplying the parts. The guy who rolled my fenders also said he could install them. I end up getting the real story from the shop's (Ace's Automotive) owner, Jay. Jay tell me the cheapest he can do the install is $400, and that's if a I pay cash. After a bit of debating, I tell him I'll let him have the job.

August 12 I drop my car off at Ace's, and I figure all is well. The backs get done first, and then that Friday, I see him while I'm at work. He says that
he's having major problems with the front, and that the car is undriveable, and that I should take a look the next day. So I go down to take a look, and the fronts fenders are sitting on the tires. Long story short, he was adjusting the wrong part of the coil, but managed to get everything squared away just fine.

I pick the car up last Satruday (15th) and take it home to be washed. This is when I notice a bolt laying underneath my car...and later hear sounds like someone beating a triangle underneath my car. I drive a little longer, and the sound stops. I take it back to Ace's, and get it up on a lift, only to realize that I'm shedding parts going down the road: three bolts fell out of the passenger side rear axle, and three more were almost threaded out. I also learn that the axle was apparently rebuilt in early 2006, as the drivers side bolts are rusted into place. Jay finds it best to keep my car until I can get another bolt (I found the other bolt and "C" washer in the street, so I had 5 out of 6).

I call the closest Toyota dealership the 17th and order the bolt. They tell me that I'd have to get it at a Lexus dealer, I told them to double check because the same bolt is used on the Supra, Tundra, Sequoia...any Toyota using the A340E (30-40LE) transmission. He says he doesn't stock it, but can have it Wed. So not having heard from them by Wed at 3:00 p.m., I call. They inform me that they "forgot" to call me and let me know the part is a day behind. I pick the bolt up Thursday morning at 9:30 a.m., and have it back to Aces at ten, assuming that surely they can install one bolt over the course of several hours. But no, I don't get the car back until Friday around 3:00 p.m.

Anyway, I have her back now, and though I'm sure most of you will cry "lower moar!!!1!!shift+1!!", the car is staying at this height for a good long while. I'm running 16 in front and 24 in back, but I'm sure I'll tweak that more in time. I'll be tinting the windows soon enough I hope, and exhaust will follow...maybe within the next three months or so.

Anyway, here are some pics during and after install. You can see the problem with the fronts being too low at first:

Old 08-22-09, 08:35 PM
royaltyrsp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good, nice stance.
Old 08-22-09, 08:37 PM
Mugen_1
Instructor

Thanks man

Ha, that was almost an instantaneous response...I barely hit the "submit thread" button and already had a reply.
Old 08-22-09, 08:45 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

3rd pic looks sick .
Old 08-22-09, 09:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

congrats on FINALLY getting the car rolling lol, i'm glad it was just ur mech adjusting the spring preload and not something wrong with the coilover itself.

now if you could get it to drive at the height in the 3rd pic i'd be completely (kinda) satisfied with it
Old 08-22-09, 09:55 PM
Mugen_1
Instructor

Haha, and at that height (or lack thereof) she would have been a trailer queen

At the current height, I'm rubbing the plastic fender liner at 3/4+ lock, and though I don't think I'm rubbing the metal at turning + going over bumps, I've "bottomed out" twice, and can hear the tires hitting the top of the plastic liner. However, both of those times were on the same piece of road, so I'm not too worried.
Old 08-22-09, 10:04 PM
Lexscme
Pole Position

Looks ****!!! what suspension are u rollin on? I hope to get a LS 400 soon after i sell my car.
Old 08-22-09, 11:01 PM
kimanh
Rookie

nice, u should lower to a one finger gap will look better . how the ride quilaty on the megans with the 20's?
Old 08-22-09, 11:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

what tire size are you on? 245/35 rubs, 225/35 on the fronts is perfect without rubbing at lock.
Old 08-23-09, 05:08 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great! Glad everything got worked out.
Old 08-23-09, 07:33 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

lower moar!!!1!!shift+1!!"

seriously, looked dope in the slammed pic. looks good in the rest too.
Old 08-23-09, 10:43 AM
Mugen_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexscme
Looks ****!!! what suspension are u rollin on? I hope to get a LS 400 soon after i sell my car.
Like the wall of text says, I'm on Megans

Originally Posted by kimanh
nice, u should lower to a one finger gap will look better . how the ride quilaty on the megans with the 20's?
The 20s without Megans was marginally stiffer than the stock 16s. Ride quality is noticeably stiffer with the coils, but hardly unbearable. The fronts are halfway between stiffest and softest at 16, the rears are closer to soft at 24. I do feel every little bump in the road, and I'm "re-learning" what sharp inclines and more hardcore bumps I can take without jarring myself ha.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
what tire size are you on? 245/35 rubs, 225/35 on the fronts is perfect without rubbing at lock.
Yeah I'm on 245/35 all the way around. I'm putting the stockers back on for the winter, so I'm just getting cheap snow or all-season tires for that. When the 245s wear out, I may go to 225...just depends on how much rubbing I'm willing to tolerate.

Thanks for all the comments guys
Old 08-24-09, 07:18 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet - love the wheels and stance - one of the better ones on CL
Old 08-24-09, 01:43 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple and clean, looking good!
Old 08-24-09, 04:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

hey Suneet man long time no forum!

Quick Reply: My LS is DONE (well, for now)