LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Valve Adjustment Shortcut?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 10:50 AM
edred
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The symptom is a loud ticking ...intake spec is .006-.010 clearance and it measured .014
Old 03-19-21, 12:35 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by edred
Hello I have a 92 sc400 1uzfe engine that I am attempting to replace an out of spec shim that is noisy...the problem I am experiencing is that it is the no7 cylinder intake valve that is closest to the firewall...

after I position the cams at tdc is there any way of removing the timing belt off just the intake cam sprocket and keeping the belt tight with a ziptie to something (I am guessing by removing the tensioner from underneath to provide some slack) or is that just wishfull thinking...thanks for your time
In the eleven years since I battled that clacky engine discussed above, I came to realize that the #7 intake valves do indeed suffer a potential lubrication problem *brought upon by deferred oil changes*. The minute that the oil gets loaded up with sludge/moisture, you lose splash between the bucket and the valve stem. Then it is just a matter of time for the stem to drill into the underside of the bucket, and your valve adjustment may or may not quiet the tapping, but as importantly, you need to get in there to clean the gunk (see photographs). After that procedure in Austin, I got another 50,000 miles of trouble-free quiet driving until I gave the car to my brother, who has subsequently destroyed it in every possible way. Fortunately, I have a new LS400 one year-older, and it is fine.

I recommend that you not torment yourself, nor torment the delicate aluminum engineering, and dive in, replace idlers, water pump, belt as necessary, but get the camshafts off cleanly so you can inspect and address. Do a current valve clearance check, be precise! and you can do the bucket shim replacements then.
Colin
Old 03-19-21, 02:18 PM
edred
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you..I will definitely take the bucket out and check underneath as you advise due to the fact that the clearance is way out of spec and all the other intake valves were within...cheers