LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thick smoke on startup - faulty PS pump - do I have these blocked correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 01:05 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks.

I dont know, now someone else says they dont think its the idle up valve. I am so confused. I am either going to let someone else do it, or sell it for parts.
Old 09-23-09, 01:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Thanks.

I dont know, now someone else says they dont think its the idle up valve. I am so confused. I am either going to let someone else do it, or sell it for parts.
Well, if it is not the idle up valve, then its NOT ONLY the idle up valve. You could definitely see the valve is leaking from the pics, but your pump and pressure hose might be leaking as well.

I'd start by blocking off the valve, its fairly easy and doesn't cost anything if you manage to do it yourself.
Old 09-23-09, 06:00 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
I'd start by blocking off the valve, its fairly easy and doesn't cost anything if you manage to do it yourself.
Gonna give it a try tomorrow....

With that said, my dad said he WOULD help me tackle this tomorrow if I could email him some info, a diagram or something on how to remove and plug this idle up valve.

Can ANYONE please tell me, or give me a link with step by step instructions and tools needed to remove and plug the idle up valve on a gen 1 LS400? I searched google and found two, but neither have anything to do with the idle up valve. All I could find in the "PS bible" here is something that says use a 17mm wrench. Seems like what I thought was what needed to be removed isnt what I thought at all. If I even know what needed to come off, it would help.

Thanks so much!

fwiw, this is what I thought had to be removed and plugged (circled in red)

as you can see though, its messy above that too... unless the air has blown it up???

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 09-23-09 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 08:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Remove the intake, drain radiator and disconnect the radiator hoses, remove accessory belt, remove fan and fan clutch.

Then you'll be able to access the PS pump. I recommend you loosen up the alternator and move it to the side, this way you have more space. Now you can easily disconnect the high pressure steering hose and remove the valve behind it. Once you have the valve removed you can either use a bolt with with rubber washer instead of the valve, or you can reuse the valve after you either weld it shut, or just fill it up with JB weld. Put everything back together and pray that it doesnt leak anymore.
Old 09-23-09, 08:27 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

I was really looking for someone that has done it the other way (from underneath) without having to remove all of that other crap. After your other posts, I am not even sure if what I think is ICV valve is actually that part. I thought what I have circled in red is what has to come out.

Its driving me totally insane!

Honestly, I dont have the tools or knowledge to do all of that other stuff. If thats the only way, I will have to pay someone to do it.

Thanks for that info though.

Originally Posted by Och
Remove the intake, drain radiator and disconnect the radiator hoses, remove accessory belt, remove fan and fan clutch.

Then you'll be able to access the PS pump. I recommend you loosen up the alternator and move it to the side, this way you have more space. Now you can easily disconnect the high pressure steering hose and remove the valve behind it. Once you have the valve removed you can either use a bolt with with rubber washer instead of the valve, or you can reuse the valve after you either weld it shut, or just fill it up with JB weld. Put everything back together and pray that it doesnt leak anymore.
Old 09-24-09, 03:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I was really looking for someone that has done it the other way (from underneath) without having to remove all of that other crap. After your other posts, I am not even sure if what I think is ICV valve is actually that part. I thought what I have circled in red is what has to come out.

Its driving me totally insane!

Honestly, I dont have the tools or knowledge to do all of that other stuff. If thats the only way, I will have to pay someone to do it.

Thanks for that info though.
What you've circled in red is the plastic cover on the valve, just pull that with your hand and it will come off and expose the actual valve.
Old 09-24-09, 07:56 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks.

Well, he was gonna take it off today, but I had not confirmed with him that was the idle-up valve. I sent him the photo (his reply was "its gonna be a sob to get off of there") lol, but he is gonna try tomorrow. Well see. I hope that also stop my leak. I cant imagine what else could be leaking.

So... does the idle-up valve not cause external leaks or does it? Someone told me that the idle-up valve will only cause fluid to be sucked up in the intake (I knew that it did and mine is definitely doing that), but someone else said that it will also will cause it to cause drips under the car. As you can see in the pics, it looks like fluid is coming out of this one. I think its "blowing up" which is why the fluid is higher up than the valve in the engine bay.
Old 09-25-09, 05:35 AM
Max Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the highpressure line too.
Old 09-27-09, 12:59 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks.

Well, he (my dad) finally got it out and plugged this morning. I had hurt my back and couldnt do it. It rained heavily all day on Friday and Saturday. He said, it was a BIG PAIN to get to and get out from underneath, but it can be done, because he did it. He said that plastic cover thing moreless fell apart and that o-ring I saw mentioned as in POOR shape. Probably why it was leaking there.

I have not had time to go out and check it yet... he said it wasnt leaking. I will need to drive it a few days though to be sure. Also got the broken nipple on the intake tube fixed and rerouted to the front of the throttle body as I have been told to do. I still want to try to clean the screens on the pump and rack soon... will have to look into how to do that. Hopefully that will not be as big of an ordeal as this other thing has been.

We will see. Updates later.
Old 09-27-09, 08:52 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

I didnt see anything about steering "shudder" in the main thread.

However, even before this idle-up valve issue was addressed, about three weeks ago, I started getting this occasional "shudder" type feel from the steering wheel and a strange sound on sharp turns at low speeds. I thought it was when the fluid was getting low, but it did it today after it was refilled with fluid. It does NOT do it when the car is in park or neutral when I turn the wheel all the way to one side, then the other... only when in gear, either stopped or at low speeds under 10mph.

Is it possible its air in the lines, or?

Thanks.
Old 09-28-09, 05:02 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

I dont guess it matters in the slightest now... its got a big puddle of fluid under it again and its almost out of fluid and I have not even driven it yet. I guess something else is leaking.

I honestly dont know what else to do. My other car that I am driving to work now gets 10 mpg.

I took some new photos and the plugged hole is not leaking now. I think its a hose leaking. I will post the pics soon!

I didnt see anything about steering "shudder" in the main thread.

However, even before this idle-up valve issue was addressed, about three weeks ago, I started getting this occasional "shudder" type feel from the steering wheel and a strange sound on sharp turns at low speeds. I thought it was when the fluid was getting low, but it did it today after it was refilled with fluid. It does NOT do it when the car is in park or neutral when I turn the wheel all the way to one side, then the other... only when in gear, either stopped or at low speeds under 10mph.

Is it possible its air in the lines, or?

Thanks.

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 09-28-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 09:55 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

See new thread.... leaking high pressure line?

With pics and updates....
Old 09-29-09, 02:23 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

91LS400LEX, you were on the right path there. I removed mine from under the car. Once you have the 2 nipples plugged up top (manifold and intake pipe). Pull the hoses off the valve from underneath. Smash the valve to bits (all the plastic part will break apart easy. Once you've smashed the plastic stuff off the valve, you should be able to remove it with a spanner IIRC as you will have exposed more of the hex to get a grip on.

I wouldnt worry about your high pressure lines till you have that valve GONE.
Old 09-29-09, 04:16 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Not sure if you read my above update, but thats long gone. We plugged the valve and re-routed the hoses days ago.

Originally Posted by gmacrae
91LS400LEX, you were on the right path there. I removed mine from under the car. Once you have the 2 nipples plugged up top (manifold and intake pipe). Pull the hoses off the valve from underneath. Smash the valve to bits (all the plastic part will break apart easy. Once you've smashed the plastic stuff off the valve, you should be able to remove it with a spanner IIRC as you will have exposed more of the hex to get a grip on.

I wouldnt worry about your high pressure lines till you have that valve GONE.
Old 10-01-09, 10:18 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Just wanted to update here..... idle-up has been plugged... all smoking is gone! The leak was from the return hose... its been replaced and no leaks! Hope this takes care of things for awhile.

Thanks for everything!