LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Camber Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 01:59 AM
nordoyan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber Kit?

I was wondering if there is a company that makes a camber kit for a 1999 LS400
I looked but can't find anything

I want to order the Tein CS Coilovers, do i need a camber kit or i only need one for lowering springs.
Old 10-03-09, 02:22 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please search

we can't use "camber kits" in the traditional sense because of the type of suspension layout we have. there are FACTORY camber adjustments, and generally these are enough to compensate for a mild drop. anything else you're stuck with, unless you want to shell out $$$$ for an SS Kit (aka RCA/Roll Center Adjuster kit)

any particular reason you want the Tein coils?
Old 10-03-09, 03:39 AM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
please search

we can't use "camber kits" in the traditional sense because of the type of suspension layout we have. there are FACTORY camber adjustments, and generally these are enough to compensate for a mild drop. anything else you're stuck with, unless you want to shell out $$$$ for an SS Kit (aka RCA/Roll Center Adjuster kit)

any particular reason you want the Tein coils?
actually yes, the gold matches my car color other than that i honestly don't think any other brand will give a noticeable difference....but if you know of a better quality coilover please do tell
can also give me a link of this SS Kit because i have no clue what you are talking about

Last edited by nordoyan; 10-03-09 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 07:01 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tein is of good quality but the single tap design is lacking since you will loose suspension travel as you lower. the cs spring rate is softer than most. i would consider them a good option for someone wanting to retain some ride quality and a mild drop.

ss kit:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...KOlB8voGtj3tjw

it does not correct camber. what it does do is lower the car an inch without (significantly) effecting geometry by spacing the spindle up from the lower control arm (front) and lowering the lower strut mount (rear).

Last edited by BLKonBLK98; 10-03-09 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 12:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you use the RCA to "lower" the car you're generally using it against its intended purpose.

the point is to correct the modified roll center when you drop your car. thefore to use an RCA correctly, when you install it you compensate for its thickness by adjusting your coilovers UP an amount equal to the thickness of the RCA. this will leave you with the exact same drop as you had before but nearly factory spec Camber.

why do you think ae86 and wrx/evo/2GS/1GS guys use these? those vehicle have very limited camber adjustments.

teh SS Kit was intended (for the LS/UCF chassis) to be used on air suspension cars with ride height controllers to allow them to park lower.
Old 10-03-09, 01:52 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a matter of perspective really. if adding an ss kit to a factory suspension then you are lowering while retaining goemetry, if adding to a lowered suspension you are restoring geometry.

the you zealand body ss kit was my introduction to rca's and it is marketed as a drop while retaining while quality, regardless of suspension type, which is why i think of it as such.

you're 100% right about the original purpose of rca's being correction but it sure does seem like you put a lot of effort into trying to say i'm wrong.

*edit:

Originally Posted by me
it does not correct camber. what it does do is lower the car an inch without (significantly) effecting geometry by spacing the spindle up from the lower control arm (front) and lowering the lower strut mount (rear).
after re-reading i can see why. i came at it from the wrong perspective given the topic. some of your response was still a stretch though.
Old 10-06-09, 05:59 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if you use the RCA to "lower" the car you're generally using it against its intended purpose.

the point is to correct the modified roll center when you drop your car. thefore to use an RCA correctly, when you install it you compensate for its thickness by adjusting your coilovers UP an amount equal to the thickness of the RCA. this will leave you with the exact same drop as you had before but nearly factory spec Camber.

why do you think ae86 and wrx/evo/2GS/1GS guys use these? those vehicle have very limited camber adjustments.

teh SS Kit was intended (for the LS/UCF chassis) to be used on air suspension cars with ride height controllers to allow them to park lower.

English please =/