LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air struts. Are they interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 07:58 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air struts. Are they interchangeable?

Looks like the passenger rear on mine is leaking. The rears are from Arnott, but they don't warranty them without a receipt.

I found a driver's side OEM air strut for sale, but the seller doesn't know whether it would fit also on the passenger side.

Anybody know the answer to that? I know they have different OEM part numbers but I'm just wondering... Wouldn't like to spend 150 bucks just to see it not fit. Not really looking to do the conversion to springs right now. Will do it eventually, though, and therefore I'm looking for a used replacement.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited by TexFinn; 10-23-09 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-23-09, 08:20 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I know, the fronts are interchangeable from left to right and the rears are the same way. You just can't interchange a front for a rear or a rear for a front.
Old 10-23-09, 08:31 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Thanks! Yeah, I figured that much that they are not interchangeable front to rear, but was hoping they would be side to side.
Old 10-23-09, 08:33 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

As far as I know you can interchange side to side.
Old 10-23-09, 10:10 PM
Oliverted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't the shock on the gas tank side of the vehicle different ?
Old 10-23-09, 10:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliverted
isn't the shock on the gas tank side of the vehicle different ?
where the hell did you get this info
the gas tank is medial to the rest of the body.
Old 10-24-09, 02:30 AM
Oliverted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
where the hell did you get this info
the gas tank is medial to the rest of the body.
I thought the whole purpose of this forum is to be informative and helpful ? And I am afraid my post wasn't either .
My wife and I recently purchased our first Lexus, a 1999 Arctic silver Stunner and to be honest I know little if nothing about the car other than we love it and want to buy one for me next . I had a car with Air Suspension that did have a different shock on the tank side and thought ( guessed )the Ls would be the same and I stand corrected.

As far as Hell is concerned I neither believe in it or the other place so the info must have come from either the mind of a fool or just someone who was asking a question which is why the post had the word " isn't " and the symbol " ? " in it no ?

But anyway while we are here you couldn't tell me the pin outs from the cd changer on a 99 Ls 400 with a Nak I have built a "mp3 relay thingy" from your Thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...em-stereo.html
and would love to install it ?

Honest PureDrifter no sarcasm , Your vast knowledge of these wonderful cars amazes me and I am sure many others Thank You for All your wisdom !
Attached Thumbnails Air struts. Are they interchangeable?-dscn7692.jpg  
Old 10-24-09, 08:15 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Two things. First Oliverted, I recon that it's much better if you start a new thread with your question about the Nak. CD-changer question. The current post will drown in the fact that it's burried way down in another thread. Also, it isn't even remotely in the same category (suspension vs. audio).
Second. "gas tank side" does sound a bit funny, as the tank is positioned dead center in between the back wheels, right behind the back seat. (But I guess you intend the right side, i.e. the position of the filler cap.)

About the original question, it seems like Arnott only sells one rear air susp. strut, which would then fit either side. (It's $350 for a -94 btw. Rather cheap compared to the about $1K for an OEM replacement.) Also, on the same note, it seems like the front struts are interchangeable too, judging from the info on Arnott's website.
If you make a search on air suspension for the LS400, I think that you will see that once one strut blows, the others are soon to follow. (Which have made the spring susp. conversion kits "popular".)

For myself, I've accepted the fact that the air suspension will blow at some point and I've allowed a budget for the $1550 plus shipping, customs, VAT etc. for a full replacement of all four corners. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope that it won't be necessary. Here in Sweden the LS400 is very rare and I havn't seen any cars without the air susp., so I cannot tell if there's any difference in ride quality. The one thing I do know is that the ride is very smooth with air suspension.

//Björn
Old 10-24-09, 01:11 PM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My input: I took the A/S from my car in exchange for coilovers. I studied the rear shocks (1993) and left and right are mirrored.
Old 10-24-09, 05:26 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Damn!

Yeah, I know one is usually followed by the other and the conversion is coming, but the one I found sounds so tempting, so I'm thinking about just getting that and sticking it in there for now.

So..., based on the info here, I guess I'll go for it an buy it. I hate to see it the way it is now.
Old 10-24-09, 08:45 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Arnott air shocks have been very popular replacements for those whose air has gone south. As mentioned, the OEM replacements are VERY pricey and most just go with the shock/spring combo. I looked on the Arnott site when I gave my original answers on interchangeability, as well as the fact the with shock/spring combo, the front are same part numbers, as well as rears are same part numbers, so side to side changeability is not a problem. As I mentioned, just DON'T attempt to use fronts for rears or vice versa.
Old 10-25-09, 04:37 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

I'm telling you, the OE rear shocks are mirrored. And so must be any replacement too, since the tap position on the vehicle is mirrored and are not pointing towards the middle of the car. The top half of the shock is mirrored also.

However, you are right about the fronts, they are the same

Last edited by Asia-H.T.; 10-25-09 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-25-09, 11:06 AM
blkjap
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trukn1
As far as I know, the fronts are interchangeable from left to right and the rears are the same way. You just can't interchange a front for a rear or a rear for a front.
The FACT is the fronts are interchangable because they ARE the same part no.48010-50070. But for the rear pair the part numbers are different, right is 48080-50070 and left is 48090-50070. I part own and been running a body shop here in So.Cal for the last 10 years and because my techs were born in japan and trained to work on japanese cars IN japan I will check with them tomorrow and let you know the real facts on this issue.
The following users liked this post:
avhart (05-16-24)
Old 10-25-09, 11:45 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Nobody believes me
Old 10-25-09, 09:11 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

My experience with factory air susp. is limited. I DO NOT have it on my 92. Speaking purely from my experience with shock/spring combo. Fronts are same as well as rears from side to side. Factory air may be different; those of you with the AIR suspension will know better than I.

Quick Reply: Air struts. Are they interchangeable?