LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

traffic tickets for hid lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 07:14 AM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
tinted headlights = 50% or more loss of output
10K hids = another 30-40% loss.
tinted headlights + 10k hids = fail
it really depends on the darkness of the tint, anywhere from 0 to 100%.

my headlight tints reduce by 10%.
Old 11-16-09, 07:27 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

what about o-nex,or k-light brands? are they cheap cuz i see them for sale on craigslist. what are the better brands?
Old 11-16-09, 08:48 AM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the HID-extra stuff and its not great but not junk. I would go Apexcone DDR if I were to do it again.

I run 6k and am very, very happy. A tinge of blue and purple on the edge, and the rest is a very bright white light. No cop trouble, either. Oh yes, 3k on the fogs.

Last edited by Lanson; 11-16-09 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-16-09, 01:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i've run xenondepot's VOLT kit for the past year, its reasonably priced and works perfect.
Old 11-16-09, 04:05 PM
Nohawk Lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbreezy27
according to some i was wrong about hidextra and they are cheap knockoffs (see below)

Originally Posted by jbreezy27
http://www.cheapchineseknockoffs.com

check them out
email them with any questions and they mite be able to tell you what kit will fit your car

Wrong...

What a shameless plug for a company that only sells cheap chinese crap!
-emoshun

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...-on-a-2gs.html
Ok I have to step in for an off-topic reply: Please refrain from calling products coming from China "crap or substandard" because you have no idea what you are talking about let alone offending any Chinese members that we have in the forum. China is the world's manufacturer. It is not their fault if American investors/merchants/businessmen want to save so much money to product products for easy money that has no return in quality. I work in the retail industry doing insourcing and outsourcing for materials or factories who can make our products. I have seen substandard and great quality products from all countries including the US. You say that products from China are crap but where is that shirt you are wearing from or let alone the products all over your house from and yet you continue to use them daily?
Old 11-16-09, 04:08 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

he didnt say that...it was emoshun that posted it was chinese crap..

although it is probably from china, its a hit of miss with these kits. ive had my ebay 3k and 6500k kit for almost 2years and theyre fine...however the newer ones ive ordered has given me problems and the sellers are horrible also.
Old 11-16-09, 04:21 PM
Nohawk Lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
he didnt say that...it was emoshun that posted it was chinese crap..

although it is probably from china, its a hit of miss with these kits. ive had my ebay 3k and 6500k kit for almost 2years and theyre fine...however the newer ones ive ordered has given me problems and the sellers are horrible also.
I did read that and I apologize for directing that to him. It is more for a message for everyone. I think it's unfair for us to generalize all the products coming from China to be substandard.
Old 11-16-09, 05:12 PM
jbreezy27

oh no hard feelings here haha

i just was throwin that out there though about hidextra cuz i have no idea what theyre like
Old 11-17-09, 06:46 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i think whoever said that is probably an american much like most of us, things made in china are taking jobs from us here and is a very sore subject. maybe the statement is unfair but for the most part not unjust. if u think for one second that half the stuff made in china isnt crap,u r sadly mistaken,so whether it upsets u or not it is still the truth no matter whos fault it is.
Old 11-17-09, 09:17 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by python
i think whoever said that is probably an american much like most of us, things made in china are taking jobs from us here and is a very sore subject. maybe the statement is unfair but for the most part not unjust. if u think for one second that half the stuff made in china isnt crap,u r sadly mistaken,so whether it upsets u or not it is still the truth no matter whos fault it is.
True. I've never seen so much lead or mercury content in basic food or baby toy products made in USA. Everyone screws up, but there is significant lack of industrial oversight/manufacturing standards in China. I used to work for a place that bought all kinds of JUNK manufactured in China, especially electronic components for computers like power supplies, and mp3 players.
This is the typical setup for most of the companies we bought from. The company would startup, manufacture a whole lot of product, "shutdown", then restart as a new company to shield itself from liability. The mass of their products get resold for any no-name 3rd party willing to take the liability of the product.

There are great products manufactured in China, and I will only support them if they are branded. Just read the fine print before buying a Sorny, Panaphonics or Magnet Box.
Old 11-17-09, 01:23 PM
Nohawk Lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by avalon42
True. I've never seen so much lead or mercury content in basic food or baby toy products made in USA. Everyone screws up, but there is significant lack of industrial oversight/manufacturing standards in China. I used to work for a place that bought all kinds of JUNK manufactured in China, especially electronic components for computers like power supplies, and mp3 players.
This is the typical setup for most of the companies we bought from. The company would startup, manufacture a whole lot of product, "shutdown", then restart as a new company to shield itself from liability. The mass of their products get resold for any no-name 3rd party willing to take the liability of the product.

There are great products manufactured in China, and I will only support them if they are branded. Just read the fine print before buying a Sorny, Panaphonics or Magnet Box.
That may be true for some shady manufacturers but you also have to look at the Merchants/Investors/Opportunists. There are some vendors that are only out to make a buck. They go out and find a cheap manufacturer to make their products then sell them without conducting a third party factory audits or let alone testing the products per market specs, quality, etc. These products do not offer any type of quality. There are factories that do not go thru inspections or barely makes the minimum requirements. This is true all over the world. Yes, there are some factories that are like these in the US but they are either being closed down or being investigated. It happens less in the US because it's more regulated. Other countries have to depend on the Buyers/Investors to prompt for a factory audit or third party testing or if they are really good factories, they do these themselves to cover their bum and to prevent any loss in sales or buyers. In my world, whether it's made in the US or out of country, I make sure the company is capable of creating quality products. If they fall short of the requirements, I find another one. I think that's enough off topic discussion.