LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Higher output alternators '95

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 09:13 PM
thebeeguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Higher output alternators '95

Are there any factory alternators with a higher output that will bolt on to my 95 LS400? Say out of a Toyota SUV or something? I need a higher output alternator and just want to see what my options are besides Ebay...
Old 11-19-09, 12:02 AM
mista808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i tried 2 ebay high output alternators and 1 from a reputable online company and all 3 crapped out on me.. each of them lasted quite a long time but still they crapped out. BUT this was for my bagged truck. at idle each put out 105amps and 200amps at 3000rpms...

after my last one crapped out i had a local alternator/started company take a look at each of them. he said that they were built pretty good but used generic parts... so what he did was he took a stock case, and rewound the f$ck out of it (rewound the wires). because it was the stock casing, he could only wind it to about 180amps but with quality parts.. so my advice to you is to find a local alternator shop than can rebuild your alternator... all my aftermarket units were a 1 wire hook up (power wire from alternator to battery). stock units have a battery wire, and a harness plug. see if you can get a 1 wire hook up, more room in the case for more wires...
Old 11-19-09, 07:13 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive heard that the stock internals on a town car alternator will fit inside the case of our alternator.
Old 11-19-09, 12:04 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this with Lextreme
http://www.lextreme.com/alter.html

Originally Posted by thebeeguy
Are there any factory alternators with a higher output that will bolt on to my 95 LS400? Say out of a Toyota SUV or something? I need a higher output alternator and just want to see what my options are besides Ebay...
Originally Posted by mista808
i tried 2 ebay high output alternators and 1 from a reputable online company and all 3 crapped out on me.. each of them lasted quite a long time but still they crapped out. BUT this was for my bagged truck. at idle each put out 105amps and 200amps at 3000rpms...

after my last one crapped out i had a local alternator/started company take a look at each of them. he said that they were built pretty good but used generic parts... so what he did was he took a stock case, and rewound the f$ck out of it (rewound the wires). because it was the stock casing, he could only wind it to about 180amps but with quality parts.. so my advice to you is to find a local alternator shop than can rebuild your alternator... all my aftermarket units were a 1 wire hook up (power wire from alternator to battery). stock units have a battery wire, and a harness plug. see if you can get a 1 wire hook up, more room in the case for more wires...
Old 11-21-09, 07:36 PM
mista808
Driver

check out highoutputalternator.com

they have got a denso alternator that puts out 170amps... thats pretty good.

when i had my HO alternators on my truck, i would intentionally try to kill them. i would slam my sounds sooooo loud, headlights on, a/c on high, wipers on, and my voltage gauge wouldnt even budge. headlights wouldnt dim when the bass hits.. it craps out when i dont want it to, and when i need them the most.... showing off.... first starts with a whinning noise, then wierd smell, then voltage gauge drops to 9V...
Old 11-22-09, 12:15 AM
thebeeguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i had my HO alternators on my truck, i would intentionally try to kill them. i would slam my sounds sooooo loud, headlights on, a/c on high, wipers on, and my voltage gauge wouldnt even budge. headlights wouldnt dim when the bass hits.. it craps out when i dont want it to, and when i need them the most.... showing off.... first starts with a whinning noise, then wierd smell, then voltage gauge drops to 9V...
Oh hell yea, thanks!

I out stunted my battery the other day Had the heater blasting, all my lights on, windows down blasting the crap out of my stereo and then the highs cut off and the car almost died in traffic So now it's time for a deep cycle battery and a nice new alternator

Thanks a lot for your guys' help!
Old 11-22-09, 12:48 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

make sure ur power steering aint leaking also lmao.
Old 11-27-09, 07:34 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

I think I have the same problem here where it wines not very loud. I checked it today and it's not charging the battery. Time for a new one.
Old 11-27-09, 11:11 PM
mista808
Driver

you should also run a 4gauge wire straight from the alternator + post, to the positive terminal of the battery. then a 4gauge wire from the negative terminal of the battery, straight to a mounting bolt of the alternator. its just to ensure a good connection from positve all the way around back to negative, and almost no voltage drop...
Old 11-28-09, 09:18 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

That's good to know thanks