LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I think my tranny is toast after 301k miles 1995LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 01:50 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info!
Thanks Sam!
Old 04-11-10, 03:23 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
yes thats what I would do so you don't circulate all the junk at the bottom of your pan into the solenoids. Drop the pan, clean the filter and the pan, put the pan back on, then change the fluid with the poor man's flush method (using the transmission cooler line)
Ditto my man! Clean the magnets too. Make that filter look like brand new inside and out regarless of the fact that you're about to pour smelly slippery oil back into it. With mechanicing, the cleaner the work... the better the work...
Old 04-11-10, 06:39 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
most of the filter's mesh screen is under the steel clamshell housing and can't be reached, it's so much easier to just buy a new filter and do it right.
Also agree. Advance auto parts claims to carry the same brand Toyota uses for their part. Just over $30.
Old 04-11-10, 09:07 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dito to that
Old 04-19-10, 02:21 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default update

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Also agree. Advance auto parts claims to carry the same brand Toyota uses for their part. Just over $30.
I started the fix early saturday morning(3 days ago).I did exactly what lexusls.com and you guys had suggested.Everything was going well until I had removed all the 19 10mm bolts that hold the pan.Now the damn pan will not come off even when I pryed a bread knife in between the cover and the housing to yank or work my way around where the gasket holds the pan.Someone said the shop must have used a glue rather than a regular gasket sealer.the pan did not try to move a bit after the bolts were off.I also know the spout is attached to the pan and the spout itself sits in a cradle on top.But I do know that slides down with the pan after the BOLTS come off.

Anyway, I then just unscrewed the drain plug and let out about a quart and then started the pump action.Let's say, when I was done I only had 1 qt of TYPE T bottle left.Put everything back together and the car starts driving fine the first day.The second day, sunday the PO770 comes back and the slight shudder/jerk and the tranny kicks down when coming to a stop light re-appears.The symptom comes back, but lightly.The car also needs to warm up for the same 15 minutes before it would change through the first gear without being harsh.

In all, the car is now driveable and I am beginning to believe, the car was not moving because it didn't like the Mercon /DEXTRON the tranny shop put in.This is my conclusion, the tranny may have been OK, but it needs an electronic solenoid(PO770) and that is why I am about to go pick up my old tranny from the tranny shop and either sell it or put it in another LS400, because I don't believe it was bad from the first place.With careful diagnosis that I do and being an ordinary person, you would think a damn tranny shop would know that Mercon(from experience) should not go into these cars althought their tranny book said so.They didn't even suggest to change the filter and oil before deciding to change out the tranny.I learned my lesson.
I will update this thread in about 3 months.If it whins again and refuses to go in first gear, I will flush it again to get all the Mercon from the converter but I need to change the Solenoid.Is this SHIFT SOLENOID HARD TO REACH?
Old 04-19-10, 02:18 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah there easy if you get the pan off
Old 04-26-10, 05:25 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default Update

Originally Posted by blkstealthpaid4
I started the fix early saturday morning(3 days ago).I did exactly what lexusls.com and you guys had suggested.Everything was going well until I had removed all the 19 10mm bolts that hold the pan.Now the damn pan will not come off even when I pryed a bread knife in between the cover and the housing to yank or work my way around where the gasket holds the pan.Someone said the shop must have used a glue rather than a regular gasket sealer.the pan did not try to move a bit after the bolts were off.I also know the spout is attached to the pan and the spout itself sits in a cradle on top.But I do know that slides down with the pan after the BOLTS come off.

Anyway, I then just unscrewed the drain plug and let out about a quart and then started the pump action.Let's say, when I was done I only had 1 qt of TYPE T bottle left.Put everything back together and the car starts driving fine the first day.The second day, sunday the PO770 comes back and the slight shudder/jerk and the tranny kicks down when coming to a stop light re-appears.The symptom comes back, but lightly.The car also needs to warm up for the same 15 minutes before it would change through the first gear without being harsh.

In all, the car is now driveable and I am beginning to believe, the car was not moving because it didn't like the Mercon /DEXTRON the tranny shop put in.This is my conclusion, the tranny may have been OK, but it needs an electronic solenoid(PO770) and that is why I am about to go pick up my old tranny from the tranny shop and either sell it or put it in another LS400, because I don't believe it was bad from the first place.With careful diagnosis that I do and being an ordinary person, you would think a damn tranny shop would know that Mercon(from experience) should not go into these cars althought their tranny book said so.They didn't even suggest to change the filter and oil before deciding to change out the tranny.I learned my lesson.
I will update this thread in about 3 months.If it whins again and refuses to go in first gear, I will flush it again to get all the Mercon from the converter but I need to change the Solenoid.Is this SHIFT SOLENOID HARD TO REACH?

UPDATE:
About a week and a half ago(3 days after I drained the tranny)the whinning noise came back and 1st gear will bearely move the car.ThEse are the exact same symptoms again.Even if I was able to drop the pan, it wouldn't have helped.I just got a bad tranny from this Hadi guy.When he told me the tranny had already been taken out of the car I should have known.
I have stopped tinkering with this car and I AM about to sell it on CL for the low low.I NEED TO FIND ME A CAR UNDER $1000 TO JUST MOVE ME AROUND.
I just bought my 2nd 18 wheeler and I don't want to have sleepless nights over a 4 wheeler.
I might come back around here in 2ys time when I get the 430.
CLUBLEXUS IT HAS BEEN REAL.
Old 04-26-10, 07:06 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drop the pan anyway and replace the filter - when i changed my trans i had to do this a couple of times because of loose crud that gets dislodged when a trans gets removed.
Old 08-07-10, 05:12 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default Update and money spent

It has almost been 9 months.I had given up on this car and tried to get rid of it.

5 months ago:

I put an ad in CL for $2000.The calls I kept getting was from tow truckers offering me $1000.I just hated to let it go for a grand, after all the work I had put in.I had many people advicing me to let it go no matter the price becausee a rebuilt tranny would never be the same.No one really responded to the ad besides these low ball tow truck drivers.THIS IS AN LS 400 AND NOT A DAMN CAMRY.I was about to buy a $1000 car from the auction but that will also need a whole new set of work becasue I don't know it's history like I know my LS.

2 months ago.

I took the car in to the same shop that changed it and gave them the go ahead to rebuild.They even said the guy (HADI) who delivered the used tranny to them that I had bought off CL, did look shady when he delivered the bad tranny to be installed.The tranny sat in the lot for about 2 months since they were very busy.Luckily, I am a trucker and I was on the road for some time and so I didn't need my ride.I finally started putting pressure on them to get it going.

There is something about a Lexus, and when you pull up in it people give you some form of respect.At least people know you are about something, to be able to afford and maintain a vehicle like that.
I just didn't want to drive just any car when I am building my business.I bought my second Semi and trailer.Not just that, I found a driver for it.I am in the newer semi and I know driving an LS, the shipers that I do go solicit business from, would at least take me a bit serious when they see me pulling up in an LS.
To end this long tale, $2100 later, the tranny has been rebuilt.Picked it up yesterday.100 miles later it is running good.I have 1 yr warranty/12k mile and even at 20k miles they will fix it if I have issues.I HOPE MY NIGHTMARE IS OVER.
Old 08-07-10, 05:38 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear your car is working now. And good luck with your business.

Last edited by JAndersson; 08-07-10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 11:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Wow...what an adventure. Glad it is now driving.