LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anybody install a Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 11:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

here u go, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG_zTIRR3cI

i call dibs on the girl, so beat it. no homo
Old 01-08-10, 11:36 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

The the SmartStart add-on you would use the VSM100 module which is compatible with most newer Viper units (5101, 5301, 5701, 5901, 7901).

The PKALL is a good bypass for the 97-up LS vehicles. The wire color info on the 12 Volt is missing some info. It isn't an extremely difficult vehicle to work on, just requires a few more connections. I would recommended having it done by a professional as well if you aren't familiar with remote starts.
Old 01-09-10, 09:15 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx LiCelsior and scotty6486. Nice info on those SmartStart. I looked on the site and also ebay's description on the VSS4000, and it seems like it's not an alarm system by itself. Just a remote start and keyless entry with panic option. So, if one needs an alarm system to protect other valuable of the car, then he will need to get one of the compatable system with the VSM100, or DSM100 module, right? This will be my first add on once the car is painted before anything else get put on. Alarm first, then mods later. It's common sense right? Saw a lot of people crying about their car got stolen with all the engine swaps, rims, audio/video system but "I didn't have enough money for the alarm yet" excuse. Anyway, thanks for the helpful info. Look like the PKALL, 5901 and the VSM100 is on top of my shopping list now.
Old 01-09-10, 09:56 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Viper installed into my 91LS. It has remote start, keyless entry and panic. The built-in Lexus alarm system still works though, so I don't think you'll need to do anything more with it. As a side note, the installer commented on how similar the 1st gen LS400 wiring system was to the Toyota Camry's...
Old 01-09-10, 11:31 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I had a Viper installed into my 91LS. It has remote start, keyless entry and panic. The built-in Lexus alarm system still works though, so I don't think you'll need to do anything more with it. As a side note, the installer commented on how similar the 1st gen LS400 wiring system was to the Toyota Camry's...
The security system from Lexus only work to a certain extent. It won't protect your wheels, body panels and such. And if someone knows about the system, they can brake the glass, climp in and get the stereo or anything valuable inside the car without the system going off. With the crime rate going up, I think an alarm system should be the first thing on every car enthusiasm (however you spell it) 's to do list.
Old 01-09-10, 02:37 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Guess it depends on where you live and you mod's. The basic system works fine for me. I have a nice car but except for upgraded wheels its pretty much stock. Point taken though...

BTW, I wonder how closely the US Government is looking at the Viper IPOD based remote start. I watched the video and if I heard it correctly, it doesn't have any distance limitations. Looks like a good way to set off a bomb from halfway around the world...
Old 01-10-10, 09:04 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

IMO I would not install a remote start because you would have to bypass the immobilizer and then your security is breeched. Someone could then pop the ignition and then drive away with your ride....Just my 2 cents!
Old 01-10-10, 01:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexozz
IMO I would not install a remote start because you would have to bypass the immobilizer and then your security is breeched. Someone could then pop the ignition and then drive away with your ride....Just my 2 cents!
except that's not how an immobilizer bypass works. the bypass is only active when energized, which is for ~1second or less when the remote start is engaged. all other times the immobilizer works as normal.
Old 01-10-10, 03:22 PM
nervekiler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

puredrifter it sounds like u talked to some inexperienced installers. i install about 2-3 remote start systems a day in my shop. and a lexus actually isnt so hard. the hardest part is doing the doorlocks on some becuase you have to go into the drivers door and wire some relays up in a very unique fashion.

most lexus will use a bypass module. we install compustar RS in my shop and use blade modules. they work very well and are very easy to program on toyota/lexus.

i would strongly reccomend AGAINST a DIY remote start install simply becuase i have seen some very nasty installs in my time even from people who call themselves profesionals... if you do not know how to do it then i would say hire someone who is comfertable because there is a lot that can go wrong especially when you are dealing with todays vehicles and the complex wiring/imbolizers involved.

python, your system was installed incorrectly. most of the time if the immobilizer is done incorrectly it will not allow the vehicle to start, or will kill the ignition shortly after starting (within 5 seconds). your issue isnt something i've seen before but it could just something wrong with the alarm brain or the install. regardless i would take it back to whoever installed it. most reputable shops will give you a lifetime install garuntee (even best buy will) and if they installed it and it stops working they should be responsible for finding out why. make them liable and make them fix it free of charge if it never worked right especially from day one. you are the consumer and you have certain rights.
Old 01-10-10, 03:29 PM
nervekiler
Rookie

oh and lexozz every aftermarket RS system installed that i have ever encountered is tied to your foot brake. if the brake is pushed (before the ignition is turned on) then the engine will stop running that way a theif cannot jump in the car and drive away. you have to push on the brake to shift into to drive in most cars.
not to mention there is a steering wheel lock.
the only way to get around it is to turn the ignition cylinder which very few theives can accomplish.
not to mention a professional, if they wanted your car, wouldnt drive it away. they simply put it on a towtruck and steal it that way.

a stock security system does not protect your wheels, your body panels, your glass, or anything inside your vehicle. not to mention i can break your window, pop your hood and disconnect your battery by cutting the wire before your factory alarm ever goes off. and to my knowledge the hood is not even protected on a factory alarm.
Old 01-10-10, 11:21 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have both Clifford and Viper versions in my LS and GS . Both 2 way with remote start and wired to open and close the windows from the remotes not by just turning the key.
Surprised it is so hard to get a proper installer PD .
I am going to switch to a newer one as I want the voltage drop to activate the remote start on mine . They did have to run a wire to the door ecus but I have no issues with it. I also have a piezo mic that listens for air moving and a electronic tilt sensor .
Old 01-11-10, 07:27 AM
nervekiler
Rookie

sk it sounds like you have a verynice setup. that glass break sensor you have and tilt sensors are sensors i think every good security system will need. these are ad ons that can go onto any alarm but make it that much more effective!!!

your window module is sweet too i wanna get that on my LS to roll em up and close my sunroof as i am often late for work and hate sitting there while my boss is starin at my through the shop window while i roll em all up super slow. if my alarm did it.. oh man i think im getting a boner..
Old 01-11-10, 11:44 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a system in my 99 Regal GS. I did not cut any factory wire, just stripped the insulation and then I soldered everything, no T-taps! I had to use precission resistors to match the ones on my key. The system is a 2-way with alarm. It took me a while to install but worker perfect the first time and has been good for years.

nervekiler, can you get me any info on my 98? The reason I'm reluctant is because I cannot find any walk throughs or any info online...
Old 01-12-10, 11:40 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is not a glass breakage sensor but an air movement mic. It trumps a proximity sensor and glass sensor as it does both much better .
Their is no module to roll up the windows added as it is used with the aux outputs from the alarm brain triggering the oem system .

DK do not install it yourself , it really is a pros job simple gm vats resistors are no where in the same league as an immobilisers . Also never solder wires to factory harness as you may need to remove them .
Old 01-13-10, 10:02 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skperformance

DK do not install it yourself , it really is a pros job simple gm vats resistors are no where in the same league as an immobilisers . Also never solder wires to factory harness as you may need to remove them .
You're not making sense...I did not solder to a harness but to factory wires. Also, solder is the absolute best connection for electronics and it can be removed you know...

T-taps are junk, cutting factory wires is a no-no unless needed to break the circuit, etc...

Quick Reply: Anybody install a Remote Start?