LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help! Very weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 12:39 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem. I can't help with the actual problem so I figured I'd help with the question. We all gotta start somewhere.
Old 02-22-10, 03:11 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i changed the coolant temperature sensor with lexus brand part,removed and cleaned the afm. Afterwards the car ran ran horrible!. I ended up changing the afm with a "known good part",and boom!. Now shes back to the way it was. The car does seem to run a little better,but no cigar . So at this point i have to wonder where to go next. Is their a test procedure for the 02 sensors before i throw money down the toilet? I have had no luck with the dealership,so where do i go from here?
Old 02-22-10, 08:17 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ROLEXUS400
Ok i changed the coolant temperature sensor with lexus brand part,removed and cleaned the afm. Afterwards the car ran ran horrible!. I ended up changing the afm with a "known good part",and boom!. Now shes back to the way it was. The car does seem to run a little better,but no cigar . So at this point i have to wonder where to go next. Is their a test procedure for the 02 sensors before i throw money down the toilet? I have had no luck with the dealership,so where do i go from here?
I'm also going to change the coolant temp sensor. I can't say for sure it's bad, but for 50 bucks, what the hell. I did some searching and I found another thread with a suggestion about the MAF sensor. It says to pull the fuse from the ECU, disconect the MAF sensor, reinstall the fuse for the ECU. I did this and it seems to have stopped the pulling ( or as you say "jerking" ) and the car has soooo much more power, like it's a V-12. It doesn't ping anymore and the throttle response is amazing. It does have the engine light on and the trac off light is on. Idk if this means the MAF sensor is bad or the O2 sensor is bad. If anyone has an opinion on this please let me know.
TIA
Dean
Old 02-26-10, 01:13 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

So im still trying to troubleshoot this problem. I do have some progress. After checking things i could check,i have determined that this is a missfire issue as well as lack of power. I went down to millenium autosports and put the car on the dyno and the tuner experienced my issue with me. He says its a missfire issue. He told me to check the cam and crank sensors (sinsce all my ignition components are new and have been double checked). you can actually watch the power shut down on it after pulling it several times. What i mean by this is.....as the motor heats up,and you rev on it,you can watch the power curve dip evertime it stutters the tach follows the dip as well at the same time. Its almost like someones shutting it off intermittantly. however the car did make 220 hp
Old 02-26-10, 01:38 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

I forgot to mention. If you hold the accelerator pedal at 3200 rpms the car will misfire all day long at that speed.
Old 02-26-10, 03:32 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROLEXUS400
So im still trying to troubleshoot this problem. I do have some progress. After checking things i could check,i have determined that this is a missfire issue as well as lack of power. I went down to millenium autosports and put the car on the dyno and the tuner experienced my issue with me. He says its a missfire issue. He told me to check the cam and crank sensors (sinsce all my ignition components are new and have been double checked). you can actually watch the power shut down on it after pulling it several times. What i mean by this is.....as the motor heats up,and you rev on it,you can watch the power curve dip evertime it stutters the tach follows the dip as well at the same time. Its almost like someones shutting it off intermittantly. however the car did make 220 hp
That's unusually high HP for that car, is it stock? Do you have the chart?
Old 02-26-10, 05:50 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Thank you vdeleon i needed those,ill tell you why in a sec.Thermactor you are correct i did not get the sheet but did see several of the charts on the computer,and i have to agree.I have another ls and it only puts down 178 hp. So im not sure what the deal is. However a little light on the subject tonight. I got codes ........finnaly something to go on! So far i have codes 13 cam sensor signal #2 and code 31 afm problem. I believe the afm is my brick wall and then gobs of power issue. Furthermore i belive the guy that did my timing belt either got it off one tooth or the cam sensor is going bad. Either way as soon as i get up tommorow im on it! Im so excited and i cant wait to finish this thing!
Old 02-26-10, 06:12 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

I'd race you in my car but I've got a bad feeling that you'd put a few football field lengths on me by the time we hit 30mph.
Old 02-27-10, 10:06 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Also, this might not be what you're expecting to hear, but a different ECU might solve the clunk for you.
Old 02-27-10, 05:40 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

All hail to the diy guys lol. So i mentioned all this stuff i had done to the car. Full tune up,timing belt etc. Well the so called certified lexus tech that did my t-belt installed it a tooth off on the passenger side cam# 2. Well i danced all around checking up on the t-belt and tryiing to troubleshoot so many different things that could be causing my problem. I learned a valueble lesson tonight. After removing all my engine covers and finding one of my plug wires taped up with electrical tape. I checked the timing marks and found the passenger side cam off 1 tooth. So i called the tech and told him what i found and this was his response. I know its right i checked it 3 times to make sure. Then he asked me if i saw his marks he made and were they correct and i agreed that yes they were. However the factory marks were not. So now i know what happened. Instead of him using the toyota timing marks to line up the belt. He set the crank to tdc and then marked reference points on the cams that would be easier to read. The problem is,the belt must have been off 1 tooth when he started and sinsce he didnt check the factory marks and went off his (incorrect) marks ive been all messed up. So the guy is supposed to come by my house tommorow to look at it here and verify if im correct. Ive already done the happy dance tho lol. What a bitc# tho,this thing has driven me and my girlfriend and are budget crazy! So i will post up tommorow and let everyone know the deal. Lets hope the 31 goes away as well,if not i will proudly go down to lexus tommorow and buy a new afm. I plan to keep this thing forever so im not worried about buying important stuff new. I cant wait to post some new pics for you guys. The car has come a long way. Oh and its finnaly on staggerd axis 20s w new struts
Old 02-27-10, 05:46 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

So here's my two cents on this. I have fixed a number of LS's, for what sounds like you're describing. The carrier bearing for the driveline will exhibit noises alot of the time without showing any "significant" visual signs of wear/splitting. The first one I had it was the last thing we decided to replace, from there on it has always been my first recommendation when there are no "hard" faults found, whilst retaining the same symptoms.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-27-10, 07:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if/when my center driveshaft bearing goes, i'm not replacing it.

can you say, 1piece aluminum? lol.
Old 02-28-10, 04:06 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Well here goes guys. The technician that did the t-belt came by today and agreed that it was off. He told me to tow the car to his house next weekend. Well unfortunately i couldnt wait to get this puppy fixed. So after he left i decided to tear it down myself and try and fix it. All is well! I put everything back correctly and cleared my codes and fired it up and went for a drive. Not only have all the codes dissapeared,the cars runs way better,smoother and stronger. My next thing is fixing the exhaust leaks at the bottom of the cats. They are the only other mechanical problem that exist.. I have tried several times to fix em and just cant get them to seal. A week ago i ordered new flanges for the y pipe and bought a belt sander to plane the bottom of the cat flanges. I feel very confident this will fix it for good. After that its off to the paint shop,then upolstry shop,and then off to palm beach with my lady for vacation. Were going to the barrett jackson auto auction,and exploring around florida while visiting family too. I cant wait to ride in style,and knowing me and my family are safe. thanks for all the help and i hope somewhere along the way this post has helped someone. If not you guys definitly helped me and i have to say on behalf of me and my family. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!
Old 03-01-10, 06:16 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Are you gonna fight for some money back from the guy who originaly did the t-belt? I gotta check my t-belt when I do my coolant temp sensor. I'm 99% sure that the belt isn't the problem with mine b/c I did it myself and checked it many times but ya never know, the tensioner might be bad or something.
Anyway, good luck with the rest of the stuff you need to do and don't spend too much at the Barrett Jackson auction. lol
Old 03-01-10, 07:59 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

deanshark- No i wont ask him for anything. He will either call me or i will see him again someday,and when that happens ill tell him what i did and he will realize he lost alot of buisiness. Im very good w cars,i was a tech for many years. Thease days i have very little time to work on anything. So when something big arises and im busy i look to other people to help,that way i can just drop it off and carry on with what im doing. This guy just lost a good customer. I have an 04 es330,4 first gen gs300s and my ls400. Im sure i can find someone else willing to help out Anyway hows it goin w your car? any codes any progress? id love to help you

Quick Reply: Help! Very weird problem