LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 rear upper brake light HELPPP

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-02, 07:06 AM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharp,

No loss of power at all, LS runs as smooth as from the first time I purchased, Just has that annoying crackling sound, I just turn the Nak up and don't hear a thing. The sound is definitely coming from the top, but I will say again their is no loss of power, the sound can be heard everytime you accelerate, of course when I get to 40-50mph you can't hear anything.
U know I will have to have Lexus pinpoint to me exactly where the location would be coming from (upper or lower pipe) I have to get an oil change this week so I will have them tell me which pipe it is.

happy holiday to u Sharp

dj
Old 05-27-02, 09:49 AM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

oK,

Went out and look and listened for the sound again, well the copper pipe w/ the 2 bolts I was talking about is the top egr pipe coming directly out of the valve cover, I checked the egr valve and it's good. so back to square 1, it's has to be the lower pipe but I cannot see it, I definitely hear the sound when I rev the engine up, I guess I will confirm w/ Lexus when I go in for the oil change this week, Hell it was just bothering me so I figured I would try to be inspector gadget.

By the way never buy any of the H4 hiper bluevision bulbs, those bulbs cracked one of my headlights(don't know what I was thinking when purchased). I need to get a whole new front left headlight for that blunder.

dj

happy m day

Last edited by djr73999; 05-27-02 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-27-02, 12:39 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey,

I figured as much that that egr valve was good. It wouldn't make the noise you were talking about even if it was clogged up and no good. IT HAS TO BE THE LOWER PIPE!! Tell the mechanic to personally show you the hole and to circle it or mark it with a piece of chaulk or a bright red marker after he shows it to you!

You have to go with the PIAA H-4 SUPER EXTREME BLUBS!!!! No others!!!!! http://piaa.com/h4bulbs.html I have them in my car and haven't had a problem with them at all. They run at the factory wattage!

Super Xtreme technology features an Xtreme low beam and a Super White high beam.

Twin Pack 15760
Bulb Type 12V - H4
Wattage 60/55w = 135/125w,
4200K low beam, 3950K high beam
Technology Xtreme White with XTRA Technology

http://piaa.com/h4bulbs.html

They put no strain on your wiring harness or lens!!!! They are the best blubs on the market by far!!!!! Accept no immatations!!!!!
In regards to bulbs-You pay for what you get!
Those cheap bulbs can cause major problems. The twin pack #15760 Piaa's is what you need!!!!! Mine cost me $65 at wholesale price. They retail for much more then that! I think around 90 or so. Some places even ask $130 those morons!

Anyway, hitting the beach today. Have a great holiday and I will speak to you later.

S
Old 05-27-02, 12:51 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Default Oops

Oops, I actually have the PIAA twin pack 15260 bulbs not the 15760 bulbs because they are closer to the HID look on the new cars. (HID=High Intensity Discharge) But you can go with either model, they are great bulbs and I highly recomment them! PIAA makes the best bulbs by far!!!!
If you want them I would buy them from this site http://www.wholehyper.com/piaa2.html
They are reasonable in there price. The shipping charge I am not sure of though.

S
Old 05-27-02, 08:47 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Yeah, I checked out those bulbs, I should have went with them
in the first place, yours lights look just like the HID beams, that's really what I was looking for.

dj
Old 06-03-02, 11:18 AM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Yeah Sharp

Ordered those H4 bulbs that you requested, waiting for them to get here,I hope those are much better and brighter than the previous junk lights I had, what a waste.

didn't get to lexus yet,was looking for a respectable toyota/lexus mechanic, in mi.

dj
Old 06-03-02, 12:04 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Default 15260 right?

Hey Dj,

You went with the EXTREME WHITE 15260's right?

Not sure if you know It but when you install them make sure never to touch the glass filament at all!!!!!! Your natural oil from your fingers will make the bulbs burn out much quicker!!! (shortness of life!) Always install them by holding them by the black plastic housing!!! Never let any of the glass filament come in any contact with your skin especially when your taking them out of the package they come in!!!!!!!

Make sure you don't pull out the bulbs (9005) that are next to the H4's. Those bulbs only come on when you throw your high beams/brights on!! They assist the h4's! Different bulbs anyway so they wouldn't fit! Driving bulbs are 9006 a.k.a. H3.

Let me know how you make out and what you think of them!
Good luck and I will speak with you.

Sharp
Old 06-03-02, 12:07 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Default oops

Correction.

I forgot you have a 95 LS not a 96! I don't think you have the extra 9005 bulb like I do for the brights:eek: :eek:
Old 06-03-02, 01:43 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Post 15960 bulb

Sharp

Went with the 15960 HID, instead of the 15260, the guy said if I didn't like the look I could send back and get the 15260 like you have, figured if you were satisfied with those then I would try these. pretty much the same price. I definitely would never touch the filament with my fingers, learned that lesson 10 years ago.

What do you think of the 15960's? Have you had or seen anyone with these.

dj
Old 06-03-02, 02:46 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Oh you went with the plasma bulbs...hmmmm....Those blubs are too blueish for me. There alright just not my style. I am more into the brillant white look rather then the blue look.

I have seen them just not my style, thats my personal opinion. Let me know how you like them.

Sharp
Old 06-14-02, 09:35 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Smile piaa lights came in

Sharp,

I just received the PIAA H4 bulbs put them in and have liked them pretty well, brighter than I expected, I'm pretty pleased with the effect, how long have you had your bulbs in your Lexus?Hopefully I can get a full year or longer out of them.

dj
Old 06-14-02, 10:25 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Congrats

Glad to hear that you like them! I told you that Piaa makes the best lights by far! Nothing comes cheap these days. I have them in my car for about six months or so and haven't had a problem at all! The X-treme line blubs I have only came out in the beginning of the year. They should last just as long as the regular ones (a few yrs I hope) because they are running at the same wattage, but I guess it all depends on how much night driving people do.

Enjoy the weekend Dj! I will catch u later.
Old 06-15-02, 02:50 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Yeah Sharp,

You were right, I really can tell the difference between those phony H4 Hiper Industries bulbs I had, compared to the PIAA's. ( I would highly recommend them)
when these eventually blow out hopefully a year or 2 from now, I will definitely go with
the Super Brites that u have now. no ? about it.
Still didn't get a chance to hit the dealer yet about the egr pipe
but I will definitely keep you informed.

later

dj
Old 06-15-02, 02:59 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Dj, Probably by that time they will have even a better bulb out.
They are always trying to invent something new and better. Gotta love technology. My bulbs will probably be like 20 bucks for a pair by then. lol

Talk to u later.
Old 05-21-03, 03:27 PM
Slexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
No problem on helping you out with that brake light!!!!

Does you car making a howling sound when your sitting still or driving or both? Usually that sound means you need a water pump if its the sound I think it is which can be expensive to change but I haven't heard of water pumps going bad so I doubt that is the problem. Also have you changed your air filter lately? Your air filter can be clogged and not enough air is getting into the engine causing the engine to howl becuase of the lack of air.
Whats the milege on your car? Autozone sells the air filter for 20 bucks if you need one.

Lexus told you that you need an "egr" pipe? You sure they said "pipe" and not "VAVLE"? I think EGR=Exhaust Gas Regulator as far as I know. If its the valve its like 5 bucks at Autozone. Its also a no- brainer to change. The only way to tell if its the valve is pull it out and shake it and see if it makes a clicking sound. If its the pipe then you have a hole in it causing it to howl. It could be the pipe! Did lexus look at the car already?

To get to it there is the tube going into the valve cover right behind the oil fill. Pull the rubber and the valve up and out of the valve cover. Then pull the end piece out and thats the egr valve. Shake it and if you hear it clicking then it is still GOOD meaning it is not clogged. If there is no cligging sound then you need to replace it (its completely clogged up) You can buy a new one at any auto parts store like Autozone.

A few other tips:
Make sure to use premium gas not cheap crap because that will clog the valve also. Try to fill your car up when you have a quarter of a tank left no less otherwise you will suck up all the dirt and sludge that settles at the bottom of the tank. Also pick up a bottle of Chevron with techron fuel injector cleaner at autozone for 6 bucks and put that in the next time you fill up your tank. Its the best fuel injector cleaner on the market!!!!! Make sure it says "CHEVRON WITH TECHRON" no OTHERS!!!!!!

I would change the air filter, valve, and put in a bottle of the fuel injector cleaner first. Total cost 30 bucks! If it still makes the noise then it could be EGR pipe they told you about or the water pump. I very highly doubt its the water pump though!!!! If I was you I would try to find a good cheap private mechanic that works on Japaneese cars in your area. Someone who is familiar with Toyota. Its the same car!!! :eek: :eek:

Let me know you make out.
Hello Everyone,

While searching for the procedure how to clean up EGR valve for my 94 LS400, I ran into this thread and got confuse with the EGR valve that posted by SharpLS-96.

For Clarification, Would someone help me with the EGR described above. I think it's PVC Valve (positive crankcase ventilation) instead of EGR Valve. I might be wrong because I have not working on car for almost 20 years.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 1995 LS400 rear upper brake light HELPPP