LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 LS400 Post Timing Belt change Issues!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 10:38 PM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ADDING ON TO MY PREVIOUS POST.... i went about 14with the harmonic balencer, which is marked on the crank cover behind the harmonic balencer... so this would be 14 BTDC (BEFORE TOP DEAD CENTER) which means i retarded the timing... RIGHT..?/ SO NEXT I SHOULD TRY, turning the harmonic balencer to 10 or so after top dead center.... but what my main question is if the harmonic balencer mark is lined up at 0 is it TDC or is it possible to be 180 degrees off of TDC, and have to roll the crank one full time.. REASON FOR ASKING... i read somewhere not sure where a guy was trying to time a toyota motor that was basically the same... said the rolled the crank 180 degrees and it ran right... but what he did not specify is to roll the crank 180 it sounded like he put a full turn on the harmonic balencer... now i cannot find the tread to ask him......
Old 04-11-12, 06:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmyers
ok i have a 94 sc400.. I just did the water pump and timing belt on it... but i cannot get it timed right... it is at the crack pulley is lined up on 0, the car ran like s***.... then i tore it down and lined it up at about 14 and rested the cams it still runs like crap.... the is probably a retarded question but you guys seem to be having close to the same prob... is it possible that since the crank pulley goes around twice that maybe it looks top dead center it is really 180 degrees off...???
your '94 is totally different from the car discussed in this thread, the SC didnt switch to this head design until '96. (ls switched in '95)
Old 04-11-12, 06:58 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished doing a timing belt on my 1996 ls400 last Tuesday. I got given the incorrect belt at first. The best advice I can give is twofold:

1) when all the marks are lined up it just works.
2) what you THINK is the marking for the crank isn't. I have the factory service manual, and re-read it a dozen times trying to figure out why the (wrong) belt didn't work, and when I got the right belt I realized something important that might help your situation:

The crank timing pulley when at top dead center has a timing mark at about the 2:30 position. THAT mark tells you it's at top dead center. There is a SECOND Mark that's hard as heck to see on the lower part of the pulley at about the 6:30 position. THAT'S the one you put the belt (CR) line to. Once you figure out that piece the two cams should line up. Turn the motor over a few times BY HAND, and you'll see if it all goes back to correct. The belt won't, but the marks will. I hope that made sense.

Jeff
Old 04-11-12, 08:19 AM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

So if the 94 is different... somebody please tell me what position i would need to turn the harmonic balencer to achieve TDC... OR HOW TO ACHIEVE TDC with out taking the car back apart... this second mark that is mentioned i have not seen.... is it located on the harmonic balancer or behind it... i am reallyi trying to do this with out have to pull the balancer... ty guys for the info though please ikeep it coming
Old 04-11-12, 09:10 AM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
your '94 is totally different from the car discussed in this thread, the SC didnt switch to this head design until '96. (ls switched in '95)
im sooooo confused i thought we were talking about the timing belt....... what on earth does head design have to do with the belt.... is there something i am missing here?!?!?!!?
Old 04-11-12, 09:16 AM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jtamulis
I just finished doing a timing belt on my 1996 ls400 last Tuesday. I got given the incorrect belt at first. The best advice I can give is twofold:

1) when all the marks are lined up it just works.
2) what you THINK is the marking for the crank isn't. I have the factory service manual, and re-read it a dozen times trying to figure out why the (wrong) belt didn't work, and when I got the right belt I realized something important that might help your situation:

The crank timing pulley when at top dead center has a timing mark at about the 2:30 position. THAT mark tells you it's at top dead center. There is a SECOND Mark that's hard as heck to see on the lower part of the pulley at about the 6:30 position. THAT'S the one you put the belt (CR) line to. Once you figure out that piece the two cams should line up. Turn the motor over a few times BY HAND, and you'll see if it all goes back to correct. The belt won't, but the marks will. I hope that made sense.

Jeff

dude you have helped emensly....!!! lol so basically i should be around 2:30 so know i know which direction i need to go with it... Your b@d@S$ THANKS FOR THE HELP ILL POST BACK IN A LIL WHILE... THANKS AGAIN
Old 04-11-12, 09:42 AM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

AFTER FURTHER ANALYSIS... i had help taking it apart i was holding the flywheel.... my friend marked and took the harmonic balancer off... im trying to figure out if he marked at 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock... and i cannot get ahold of him... if he market it on the top 12 o'clock then that would put the timing mark at like 5:30... if he marked it at the bottom 6 o'clock on the harmonic balancer then that would put the timing mark at around 10... any thoughts to where the timing mark should be at to line up the cam pulleys...
Old 04-11-12, 10:47 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Ok, there is a mark on the "back" of the outside ring of the timing gear, it lines up to the 2:30 position. put the crank pulley cover and crank pulley on for a moment, and put it at top dead center. then put your cams at the lines.

Then take the crank pulley back off, and put the belt on, with the left and right cams in the correct positions (lined with the marks), and the "CR" on the timing belt should be under the bottom of the motor, on the "other" mark on the crank timing pulley (in the lower left position).

It's easier to take the crank timing pulley off and look at it real careful, and MARK both "points" on it. I will be taking pictures next time I do this on my 95 engine. Sorry I didn't before, I'm writing 1,000 works when a picture would be better.

Jeff
Old 04-11-12, 11:59 AM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

so hypathetically.... putting it top dead center...(the mark that is at 2:30, to strait up, which makes it now 12:00) doing this would put the timing mark on the harmonic balancer at about 10 o clock or so (rolling it back {making about a 3/4 turn on the crank, NEVER TURN IT BACKWARDS!!!)...if this is the case... then i can get it real damn close and put a light on it and tweak it with out taking it back apart..hopefully i typed this right..lol....
Old 04-11-12, 01:06 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

um, wait. put the timing cover on, and put the crank to top dead center via the 0' mark on the timing cover and the crank. Then leave the crank alone. make sure it's at top dead center, and leave it there.

remove the crank pulley, and the timing cover.

Then put the timing gear back on, there are two marks: one at about the 2:30 position, and one about 6:30

And near the 2:30 position there is a little tiny 'mark' on the oil pump just above the crankshaft main seal, it should be at 2:30. Make sure that's lined up, do NOT move the crank.

at the 6:30 position, there is another mark, that's where the CR on the belt goes. Then line up the two cams, and make sure everything is lined up on the timing marks.

Jeff
Old 04-11-12, 04:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

im sooooo confused i thought we were talking about the timing belt....... what on earth does head design have to do with the belt.... is there something i am missing here?!?!?!!?

the timing belt procedure for lining up your '94 is quite different from the procedure required for the '95+ LS/'96+ SC 1UZ engines (as they are interference).

please exit this thread and post one in the SC forums or search the SC forums. your questions are not relevant to the discussion at hand.
Old 04-11-12, 07:02 PM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

the timing belt procedure for lining up your '94 is quite different from the procedure required for the '95+ LS/'96+ SC 1UZ engines (as they are interference).

please exit this thread and post one in the SC forums or search the SC forums. your questions are not relevant to the discussion at hand.
well send me both procedures or show me the difference... cause i would be running a belt on both different or not... interence or not.... the pics of the car talked about look exactly like mine... sooooo ill keep asking my questions... i get kicked from the site.... i can always make a new LOGIN... SOOO ANYWAYS... EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO... OTHER THAN ONE WONT MESS UP THE VALVES IF TIMING IS INCORRECT.......LS HAVE THE SAME 4.0 AS AN SC SOOOOOOO ILL STAY WHERE IM AT....
Old 04-11-12, 08:03 PM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

SO MINE IS OR IS NOT INTERFERENCE... Mine is right.?? i went back under the sc forums on this site typed in timing and this is the topic that is closest to my issue....
Old 04-11-12, 08:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

SO MINE IS OR IS NOT INTERFERENCE... Mine is right.?? i went back under the sc forums on this site typed in timing and this is the topic that is closest to my issue....
your '94 is not. www.lexls.com has a tutorial that will apply to yours.
Old 04-11-12, 11:19 PM
bcmyers
Driver School Candidate

your '94 is not. www.lexls.com has a tutorial that will apply to yours.
AIGHT DUDE YOU WIN...!!LOL i still have the same prob, ill stop posting under this thread but i could still use some of your insight...i learned my engine is free flow... but i can still float a valve right???

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/site...ng-600x450.jpg

i put the cr mark on the puller mark thinking it was TDC.... SO THAT WOULD BE LIKE 50 DEGREES THEN RESET THE CAM PULLEYS?!?!?

Quick Reply: 96 LS400 Post Timing Belt change Issues!!!!