LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DROVE the NEW 340hp '02 Infiniti Q45 and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-01 | 09:51 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

QBranch, interesting observation on the brake calipers. As you know I liked the new Q very much and wish Lexus offered a hipo version of the LS to compete with it and the M5 BMWs and the 55 series MB (S,E,CLK). What I would REALLY love is to see more composite technology to get the weight of these cars down. Carbon fiber/ceramic chassis, brakes, suspension, etc too get the weight around 3200lbs with all the same luxury qualities. 3200lbs with 400hp would ROCK.
Old 03-27-01 | 10:02 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jbrady
QBranch, interesting observation on the brake calipers. As you know I liked the new Q very much and wish Lexus offered a hipo version of the LS to compete with it and the M5 BMWs and the 55 series MB (S,E,CLK). What I would REALLY love is to see more composite technology to get the weight of these cars down. Carbon fiber/ceramic chassis, brakes, suspension, etc too get the weight around 3200lbs with all the same luxury qualities. 3200lbs with 400hp would ROCK.
I think why Lexus hasn't done this is it still wants to shove as much Luxury and performance into a car and still under price BMW and MB.
By using light wieght materials like carbon fiber and ceramic the prices will increase.
Mine you, I don't think Lexus will let this 400 hp demon go un-noticed along with the M5 and AMG S-class.
Their just probably waiting on how well these car do before they react.
Old 03-27-01 | 02:56 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

LOU, of course you are correct that is why I said "what WOULD be really cool". Carbon fiber and ceramics are just starting to be used. The new Porsche 911 Turbo has ceramic brake rotors as an available option (VERY pricey I am sure). Rotors are a perfect use as it decreases unsprung weight and improves performance. The McLaren F1 uses full carbon fiber construction and is priced accordingly ($1 million)
Old 03-27-01 | 03:57 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the ceramic brakes for the Porche comes standard for a GT2, $7500 upgrade on the Turbo.
Old 03-27-01 | 03:58 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: New Q is good.

Originally posted by QBranchCars
Well, this is the beginning of the battle of the luxury V8's. We'll see what Acura can dish out with the pending V8 TL.
Is the Acura V8 TL supposed to be front engine/rear drive? If not they're SOL. In MHO, no contest between the front drivers and the front/rear powered cars. Owned a '92 Acura Legend LS (my ex-wife's idea). Thing handled like crap. Plowed under the inner front wheel on any kind of fast turn and generally felt like a sofa on wheels. Got rid of it first chace I got.

Old 03-28-01 | 11:47 AM
Stephen
Pole Position

Well guys, I drove a new Q45 the other day, and I almost bought it yesterday. We couldnt cut the right deal, they wanted 4K over sticker and I wont pay over sticker for a car, cant make myself do it.

Its one hell of a car, makes the LS430 seem kind of outdated already. Its definately in the running against the LS430 and S500 for my garage spot, its price of $59K loaded is AMAZING for how much car it is.

In person I find the Q45 strikingly beautiful and special inside and out. Something I cant say for the LS430...
Old 03-28-01 | 01:00 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Wanna buy me one? What color combos were looking at? Keep looking and Im sure youll work out a deal. Maybe if you get a different salesman youll have better luck.
Old 03-28-01 | 01:52 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Stephen, very cool. I know this is a Lexus board and I own an LS400 BUT the new Q is sweet and in my opinion is being sold below cost to re-enter the market. You are right to wait for a better deal. As cool of a car as the new Q is it will still have to be aggressively sold to meet Infiniti's sales goals. I predict they can be had at or below sticker as soon as dealers get them in numbers. Don't forget, the 400hp version is due year end!
Old 03-28-01 | 03:50 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

The one I almost bought is silver with a black interior and the natural wood.

They delivered a dark blue one with a cream interior while I was there though, sharp.
Old 03-28-01 | 05:09 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up competition, i like it

i have never owned any nissan/infiniti autos. but over the past few years, i have always came very close of owning one. the main reason being that the infiniti line, especially the Qs, did not seemed to do well in the last generation. for the past 3 years, the Qs were offered at $10k off msrp every year. last week, a local dealer was selling brand new 01Q45T at $38k+fees, talk about value.

with the arrival of new Q carrying 340hp, i am certain corporate lex and its engineers are buring mid-night oil to keep the price and performance competitive. for me, the exterior design of the new Q is a bit too much, even for a performance sedan. i just hope this provide a catalyst for the lex engineers and accounts to provide good products at competitive level.

as a personal philosophy, i will never pay over the msrp, no matter how much i want the car. the product of free market capitalism is tremendous benefit to us car lovers. all it take is time. i loooove the new sc430. at $60k, is quite reasonable. all i need to wait is 6 months. no problem; i am just not ready/willing to hand some guy $75k right at this moment. just my $0.02 .
Old 03-29-01 | 12:19 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

An 01 Q45 for $38k is a good price but I would rather own an 98+ LS or GS400 for the money. I like the 2nd gen Q for what it is but it just falls short of the Lexus products. The 02 is another story. The race is back on
Old 03-29-01 | 12:58 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Like what gs4will said, I'll wait another 6 months and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure Lexus or any other luxury car maker (MB, BMW, etc.) will let this car go unnoticed.

Hey it is like how Lexus came out with the RX300, BMW coming out with the X5, and the MB coming out with the ML___ and they all did sucessful that Acura came out with the MDX and now got #1 SUV in most car mags.

Lexus is just waiting to see how well the new Q does, then if it does well then they will blow the Q out of the water later. Hopefully they don't wait to long! BMW is not waiting, they already planning to come out with a M7 from what I heard and they already got a M5!

I feel a war is brewing and battles will be fought!
Old 03-29-01 | 02:40 PM
HammerMan

Yeah, I cant wait!! The horsepower battles are getting really interesting. I just cant wait to swee where we are 5 years from now! Just think of the technology! Oh, I'd definately buy the new Q if I had the money. Anybody want to donate some money??
Old 03-30-01 | 01:07 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Unhappy

Hammer, it is hard too say where cars will be in 5 years. This may be the top of the power like it was in the early 70s before the pollution controls and CAFE standards. I think 400hp is the most power we will see in high production number sedans. Some low volume cars could go MUCH higher.

Technology can be a 2 edged sword. The same technology that gives us toll tags, mobile phones and GPS can be used to monitor our cars location, direction and SPEED. :eek: :eek: ....maybe I will have to build an older model for STEALTH.
Old 03-30-01 | 01:25 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

jbady: Did you take pictures of the event?

Quick Reply: DROVE the NEW 340hp '02 Infiniti Q45 and MORE