LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DROVE the NEW 340hp '02 Infiniti Q45 and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-01, 01:29 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jbady? Did you take pictures of the event by the way?
Old 03-30-01, 01:39 PM
HammerMan

Originally posted by jbrady
Hammer, it is hard too say where cars will be in 5 years. This may be the top of the power like it was in the early 70s before the pollution controls and CAFE standards. I think 400hp is the most power we will see in high production number sedans. Some low volume cars could go MUCH higher.

Technology can be a 2 edged sword. The same technology that gives us toll tags, mobile phones and GPS can be used to monitor our cars location, direction and SPEED. :eek: :eek: ....maybe I will have to build an older model for STEALTH.
True, too much horsepower can lead to even more litigation and what not. Chevy Corvettes already come from the factory with a little black box. (ie: data recorder)
Old 03-30-01, 03:47 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, what a b%tch. Having your own car rat you out :eek:

DROD, sorry but I never seem to take pictures of anything. I guess I should buy a digital camera and try to share some of this stuff.
Old 03-31-01, 12:39 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

Keep in mind though that the little black box's info in the Corvette cannot be used to incriminate you. It is purely for research. They'll never be able to pass using stuff like this to "spy" on your activities through congress.

If they do, I'll chock the USA up as a lost cause and move. I really will.
Old 04-01-01, 05:02 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Hey guys,

I got the opportunity to test drive the all new Q as well at California Speedway in Fontaine.

My first impressions of the car from websites, magazines, and the such was that it looked like an oversized cucumber. I didn't particularly like the nose of the car but though the rear end looked ok.

This all changed when I saw the car in person. These things are BEAUTIFUL. They have a really SPORTY profile, especially with the 18" rims. They look real good, IMO, better looking than the LS430. You guys gotta see these things in person before coming to any judgement.

The interior of the Q was just amazing as well. I loved the yellowish wood and the steering wheel w/ ridged wood felt good in my hands. The steering was somewhat light and wandery but I guess thats what is expected for a large luxury car.

One thing I did not like about this car was the easy floorability of this car. Does that sound strange? I personally dislike cars w/ pedals so soft that it is easily pushed to the floor...I like more resistance that allows for "squeezing" the throttle like my GS400. Nevertheless, the car felt decently fast (not sure if it felt 340hp fast) and it was unshakable.

Didn't get a chance to test the competitors, but from the looks of it, I would choose the Q45 over all of them (540,LS430,E430, and XJ8).

IMO, the 540 and E430 aren't direct competitors with this car (althought Infiniti has nothing as of now to fill this gap in their lineup). The only thing the Q45 has similiar to the 540 and E430 is price, which is a good thing for it. The Q45, though dramatically cheaper(as is the LS430 as well), clearly competes with the S-class and 7-series, and for the money, the Q45 looks to be a winner.

BTW, watching those Q45's go by on the hotlap, they sounded like jets!
Old 04-01-01, 08:48 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

All photos (C) 2001 Mike Cervantes

Hes from FA. He took a bunch of photos of the Q and they are some of the best Ive seen. Theres also a graphite interior shot with light leather. drooool. Quite possibly the best interior for the Q. Here are a few photos for the lazys.

Click here for more photos.
Old 04-01-01, 10:33 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Intellexual, was this a great event or what? Too bad you didn't have time to drive the other cars. It really was a good contrast. Did you drive the safety demo? I agree that the Q doing hot laps sounded very JET like
Old 04-06-01, 07:52 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Here are the photos I took from my dealer. I was stunned by the car. I remembered it looking great in person at last years NY show but other peoples negative view on the exterior was starting to sway my mind. Seeing it at the dealer harkened me back to NY, only much better. For some reason, it still does not picture as well as in person. The differences are night and day. The interior looks tall and possibly odd in photos. In person, the interior gloves you and it is not tall at all. Not too short so you have to look down but perfect. I dont understand. Did God fool with cameras before the Q came out or something? I dont know, but pictures do NOTHING for the car. GO out and see it for yourself (as you should with ANY car).

http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292801617
Old 04-07-01, 06:06 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

That was the Old Infiniti. Have you sat in the Q? The interior is nothing like an SUV. To me, the LS's looked much taller than the Qs inteiror. But im guessing its like the Q's, much different once you sit in it. To say this car sucks means you are an avid Lexus d\fan and your eyes are closed to others.

Youre right, this aint no Lexus. Its better.
Old 04-07-01, 07:17 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I'm a bit late to this thread...I noticed on the first page you guys talking about the Q45 dash. I'll have to agree with 1SICKLEX, it looks a lot like the new LS 430 dash board. I was amazed, when I say the new Q the first thing I thought was how it was just like the LS...kinda pissed me off. It has the same type design with a monitor resting above the radio controls. Sure the details are different, but the basic design just looks so similar. I also compared two pictures of the front end...i'll have to scan them in this weekend. It is uncanny how similar they look!!!
Old 04-07-01, 08:11 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

The front ends look NOTHING a like. With recent trends of Lexus copying (aka Lexus styling), i wouldnt be surporised if lexus copied Infiniti's design of the interior. besides the screens, the interior are totally different. The Qs is far more stylish and driver oriented while the LS's is more of a traditional design and maybe more pleasing to the conservative type. Either car you choose, however, you are getting a great car.
Old 04-07-01, 09:11 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

woah now...i'm just expressing an opinion here, in mine they do look alike. It does appear that cars copy each other, but hey...they are competitors. Each company tries to get the edge any way that they can.
Old 04-08-01, 12:14 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

I dont see any resemblence at all between the LS430 and the Q45, in any way. They share the basic electroluminescent gauges but Infiniti does them differently. I definately agree that the LS430 is a much taller car with a much taller dashboard. The Q45 is much lower and sleeker. Its meant to be sporty while the LS430 is not. The Q45's dash comes out to the driver then arcs up. The controls are almost flat against the top of the dash as opposed to being on the face of it like the LS430. If you ask me the Q45 is one of the most distinctive and unique designs we've seen come out in quite a while.

That said. it lacks the intensive quality of the Lexus. Every detail of the LS430 screams quality, while the Q45 has some cheap plastic parts.