LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Turn signal relay removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 12:50 PM
Rick2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal relay removal?

I have a 1990 LS400. I think I have located the turn signal (Flasher) relay. it is right above the fuse panel under the steering wheel, and it is white plastic. But I can't see how to remove it. Does it clip on the metal? I don't want to force it off. How do you remove it? And, is this the correct relay for the turn signals? The turn signals do not work, but the hazards do. I turned the hazards on and felt it clicking.
Old 01-11-21, 11:20 AM
papifritas
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default any luck?

Originally Posted by Rick2010
I have a 1990 LS400. I think I have located the turn signal (Flasher) relay. it is right above the fuse panel under the steering wheel, and it is white plastic. But I can't see how to remove it. Does it clip on the metal? I don't want to force it off. How do you remove it? And, is this the correct relay for the turn signals? The turn signals do not work, but the hazards do. I turned the hazards on and felt it clicking.
I found my flasher relay but can’t see how to remove it...im guessing the plastic housing is clipped to the main housing but wondering how to remove it without breaking something...any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-11-21, 11:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Flasher relay looks like this
Turn signal relay removal?-m3hvllt.jpg

They are difficult to remove I don't know of an easy way to get them out, I rock the relay back and forth and use a right angle pick to get under the relay.
The following users liked this post:
papifritas (01-11-21)
Old 01-11-21, 11:52 AM
papifritas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Flasher relay looks like this

They are difficult to remove I don't know of an easy way to get them out, I rock the relay back and forth and use a right angle pick to get under the relay.
Ahh ok so this looks like what im seeing sticking out of the top of the harness...the top of the relay is soft rubber yeah? i thought i would have to remove the white plastic housing but you were able to pull the relay out from the top? this is from a first gen ls400? thanks for the reply 🙏🏽
Old 01-11-21, 01:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly I don't remember all the specifics I work on many cars. Yes the relay has soft rubber, a condom if you will.

It is unusual for the relay to go bad (don't think I've ever seen it happen) I'll be interested to know what ends up being your problem. Do all your lights flash when you activate the hazards? The hazard function does the same as the turn signal stalk except it connects both sides of the lights to the relay instead of one. Your problem may be in the turn signal stalk itself.

.... couldn't find a wiring diagram for your specific car but should be like this. Hazard function gets power from a different fuse/circuit so the check the 7.5 amp turn fuse.

Last edited by LeX2K; 01-11-21 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 05:41 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

^ agree with above. what makes you think something is wrong with the relay? it's likely not the relay but the signal stalk.

if you must remove it, yes it is just pushed into the panel or it might have a side latch which might need to be released. try the side to side rocking method. first to see if you can get it to loosen. you can also try to get a set of pliers in there and tape it so it won't gouge the plastic/rubber.
The following users liked this post:
papifritas (01-12-21)
Old 01-12-21, 11:21 AM
papifritas
Driver School Candidate

Honestly I don't remember all the specifics I work on many cars. Yes the relay has soft rubber, a condom if you will.

It is unusual for the relay to go bad (don't think I've ever seen it happen) I'll be interested to know what ends up being your problem. Do all your lights flash when you activate the hazards? The hazard function does the same as the turn signal stalk except it connects both sides of the lights to the relay instead of one. Your problem may be in the turn signal stalk itself.

.... couldn't find a wiring diagram for your specific car but should be like this. Hazard function gets power from a different fuse/circuit so the check the 7.5 amp turn fuse.

THANK YOU GUYS!!! i was able to remove the relay by rocking it back and forth like you said. there was no clearance above the relay to remove it completely so i had to remove two 10mm bolts from the front of the firewall that secured the entire fuse box in place...then i was able to pull the whole fuse setup down enough to sneak the relay out...took off the rubber cover, removed the oem relay from the plastic black sleeve at the bottom (assuming that serves as a guide to connect the relay)...when connecting new relay to that guide (without little metal bracket, as my new relay had the opppsite and correct polarity) it wouldn’t sit flush so i had to trim off some of the plastic on the guide with snips to get it flush. popped it back in (without the rubber top, felt it was unnecessary and it made it harder to sneak the relay back into place)...finally got every back together and hyperflashing was gone. so satisfying!!!

oem on left with metal bracket (assuming they didn’t want to waste defective parts or perhaps polarity is reverse when parts are made in different regions)...new relay on the right...thankfully the new one had a diagram printed on the side that showed the correct polarity...with the 3rd pin on top (as shown) the new relay had positive on right and negative on left
Old 01-12-21, 11:23 AM
papifritas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
^ agree with above. what makes you think something is wrong with the relay? it's likely not the relay but the signal stalk.

if you must remove it, yes it is just pushed into the panel or it might have a side latch which might need to be released. try the side to side rocking method. first to see if you can get it to loosen. you can also try to get a set of pliers in there and tape it so it won't gouge the plastic/rubber.
Thanks bud!! all set please see update!! cheers
Old 01-12-21, 04:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like there was nothing wrong with the flasher and one or more of bulbs were out, or you put in LEDs. Right?
Old 01-12-21, 04:40 PM
papifritas
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like there was nothing wrong with the flasher and one or more of bulbs were out, or you put in LEDs. Right?
yep i put in LEDs and got a compatible relay to swap for the oem. glad that i am done with it lol Now i have to find the relay for the brake lights because i put in LED’s and they are triggering the indicator light in the dash that lets you know when you have a tail light out might just save the hassle and remove the little bulb from the cluster bezel lol quick fix it
Old 01-13-21, 04:56 AM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by papifritas
yep i put in LEDs and got a compatible relay to swap for the oem. glad that i am done with it lol Now i have to find the relay for the brake lights because i put in LED’s and they are triggering the indicator light in the dash that lets you know when you have a tail light out might just save the hassle and remove the little bulb from the cluster bezel lol quick fix it
There is no relay for brake lights but there is a tail lights failure sensor in the trunk. All you need to do is to modify it changing the current sensing registers or to disable the sensing function. Search the Forum and you'll find a way which was was discussed long time ago.
Old 01-13-21, 08:06 AM
papifritas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
There is no relay for brake lights but there is a tail lights failure sensor in the trunk. All you need to do is to modify it changing the current sensing registers or to disable the sensing function. Search the Forum and you'll find a way which was was discussed long time ago.
thank you! i found a thread that discussed snipping a resistor inside the sensor but i believe it was only for 1995 and up models. i have a 1994. im thinking it may be much easier to just remove the light bulb inside the cluster bezel.
Old 01-14-21, 06:37 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

glad you got to the relay!
and if you don't want to remove the bulb in the cluster, you can always run load resistors - but i think you will need to have one for each bulb...that's 8 bulbs including the 3rd brake light!

and i ran LED bulbs on my clear tails too; and i just lived with the tail light bulb idiot light on in my cluster haha! clipping the resistor didn't work for me and i had a 97.