LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Are there any drop springs that actually get the car looking low

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 02:43 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any drop springs that actually get the car looking low

i can't fathom going round two with air suspension or coilovers anymore since it makes the ride less comfy, and over the years i have yet to see a solution to this. even tein CST's barely gets the car low. i went from bilsteins/tanabe df210, to tein cst's, to tein csts+air ride, and then back to stock

i was wondering if anyone installed shocks/springs that got the car this low:

Old 04-03-10, 04:46 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cut tanabes or megans
Old 04-03-10, 05:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

You might get close by adding the YouZealand SS kit or having a custom fab version of it to increase the drop but otherwise, ride comfort isn't going to be like stock as you discovered.

The Megans and similar systems have height and rebound adjustments. PD da man there.
Old 04-03-10, 06:53 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont expect to get coilover lowness with springs and shocks. My ride quality actually improved by switching to coils. I think air ride was suppose to be the compromise... but i guess you already tried that.
Old 04-03-10, 07:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Chubby! you're back! thought you'd sold your car

glad to see you getting back into the game, you may really wanna consider taking a ride in a Megan or BC'd car, coilovers that low will ALWAYS ride better than spring/shocks that low unless you really pay big money to have a set of short stroke shocks made and valved for custom springs or tanabes.
Old 04-03-10, 09:47 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

hello sir

i'm not willing to fork out what i did last time because in the end it wasn't worth it for me. i felt like i had overspent and was not happy about it.

i'm somewhat considering BC coilovers, but the cost doesn't hit the spot just yet. i am really looking for alternatives and pics for proof

Last edited by chubby; 04-03-10 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 11:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by chubby
hello sir

i'm not willing to fork out what i did last time because in the end it wasn't worth it for me. i felt like i had overspent and was not happy about it.

i'm somewhat considering BC coilovers, but the cost doesn't hit the spot just yet. i am really looking for alternatives and pics for proof
megans will easily go that low, dont have personal experience with the BC coils but hear good things.
Old 04-04-10, 03:04 AM
yahoo_san
Driver School Candidate

hello sir

I think megans will definitly get you to the height you want.
I just posted this in the recent pics thread
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77...o/DSC08041.jpg
I know there was at least 3" of threading left to go lower
Old 04-04-10, 04:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by yahoo_san
threading doesnt mean anything, the mounts themselves will bottom out at some point. the entirety of the strut bodies are threaded.

that being said, the megans will go stupid low in the front with normal factory preload, the rears will go pretty low, but to go even lower you need to reduce spring preload. up to ~1-1.5" of spring droop is allowed by megan if you ask them.
Old 04-04-10, 04:51 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yahoo_san
I think megans will definitly get you to the height you want.
I just posted this in the recent pics thread
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77...o/DSC08041.jpg
i was going to ask you, but i'm glad you answered here megans are still what, 800+. kind of frustrating knowing all i want to do is to drop it and keep ride feel the same. im even considering used broken-in springs so i can go low, but still not one manufacturer has made springs to go a decent drop

i recommend raising the front a little, or dropping the rear a little for the looks/asthetics. an otherwise cool drop. your black wheels make me want to powercoat MAE crown jewels and go murdered out

puredrifter, the car was in the middle of a sale, but did not go through cause the other guy basically had no money. so i kept it ever since and have been parting out some of my things. i still have my complete wald kit that i'm trying to get rid of so if you know anyone that is looking for it, lmk. front lip, rear lip, side skirts, trunk lip, wald plates, emblems, everything

Last edited by chubby; 04-04-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 12:53 AM
yahoo_san
Driver School Candidate

i was going to ask you, but i'm glad you answered here megans are still what, 800+. kind of frustrating knowing all i want to do is to drop it and keep ride feel the same. im even considering used broken-in springs so i can go low, but still not one manufacturer has made springs to go a decent drop

i recommend raising the front a little, or dropping the rear a little for the looks/asthetics. an otherwise cool drop. your black wheels make me want to powercoat MAE crown jewels and go murdered out

Yea, I got my megans for $874... Pricy but I got lucky since the seller forgot to charge me for the extra shipping to HI =]
From what I heard, the megans are suppose to be very comfortable, I like it very much, but I'm not good at and pretty lazy when it comes to finely adjusting these things so its still a tad bouncy and bottoms out when it comes to large bumps, but overall I'd say ride quality is very good.

As for springs though... all i can think of is to heat up your stock springs.. I've seen a few LS's with heated springs but i have no idea how their ride quality turned out...

Haha, thanks.. I've raised the front an inch untill i can finish my fenders, then ill drop it more. the black rims are cool, ive gotten plenty compliments but theyre impossible to keep clean, its incredibly fustrating.. lol
Old 04-06-10, 04:32 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Megans are your best bet. Springs are gonna eventually blow your stock shocks. So springs & shocks will end up in the neighborhood of $500-$600. Megans can be had for $850 shipped all day long. Extra $$$ will get you as low as you want and I can attest to the great ride quality.
I put my stock shocks back in every winter and I can honestly say the Megans are damned close even when ridden this low: