LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Notes on Timing Belt change -- '95-96

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 07:40 AM
tomeyeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The verdict

Well, my car has been at the Toyota dealers for 2 days. They just called.

It definately needs a head gasket and they conclude that at least some of the valves are bent. So it needs a valve job and gasket and they estimate it will cost $3,100 to $4,200. I asked if it was the belt change and they just said "could be, we don't know". Logically I have to say it is. I mean it ran fine before and now it doesn't.

Guess I screwed it up. Still not sure what I did wrong??

Now the question is: Do I spend $4,000 on a car that is worth maybe $4,500?
Old 05-06-10, 08:03 AM
bmoore
Rookie

Ouch. I was worried that might be the case from what you had posted. At that point, it would be easier (and cheaper) to take it to an independent mechanic and put a used motor in it.
Old 05-06-10, 08:53 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomeyeman
Well, my car has been at the Toyota dealers for 2 days. They just called.

It definately needs a head gasket and they conclude that at least some of the valves are bent. So it needs a valve job and gasket and they estimate it will cost $3,100 to $4,200. I asked if it was the belt change and they just said "could be, we don't know". Logically I have to say it is. I mean it ran fine before and now it doesn't.

Guess I screwed it up. Still not sure what I did wrong??

Now the question is: Do I spend $4,000 on a car that is worth maybe $4,500?
if you don't have the ability or facilities to put a motor in yourself, or if you can't call around independent shops and get a sweet deal on installing a motor for less than $1250 all in, including a JDM motor, then kick the car goodbye.
Old 05-06-10, 09:34 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

That would be a no-brainer for me... buy a used engine (5 to 7 hundred in Dallas) and put it in, or have it done... thousand or so.
Old 05-06-10, 06:19 PM
tomeyeman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input. Actually I've decided on getting an 05 LS430. I sorta wanted a new(er) car even before all of this.

I'm thinking about donating my LS400 to the local community college auto shop class. Might be a good project for them.

I'm a bit sad about the car. It's been very good to me. I hate to have killed it the way I did. I still don't know where I went wrong but I guess I'll chaulk it up to a learning lesson. The moral of the story is: You CAN screw up a lexus with a timing belt change if you don't know exactly what your doing.

I looked at buying some other cars but hey.............when you've driven a Lexus, it's hard to downgrade

Again, I appreciate all the help.
Old 05-07-10, 07:46 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post pictures of the LS430 before you go!!
Old 05-10-10, 11:20 AM
tomeyeman
Driver School Candidate

Picking up the LS430 today but I'm still thinking about the LS400 that is lying dead at the dealer. I went there today to settle up ($110.00) and just get the car towed away. I plan to take it to an indy mechanic for a second opinion.

The write up from the dealer just said the "head gasket is blown". I asked him how they checked this and he said they removed the intake manifold.

Obviously, this is deeper into auto mechanics than I usually go so my question is: Is this possible?

I mean on a car with absolutely no problems before, no smoking, no apparant mixing of oil/coolant (at least from what I could see) and no loss of power, misfire, ect......

The car ran fine the day before I removed the timing belt. But backtracking, first the heat quit working and I told myself I'd get to it that weekend. On Friday of that week, I noticed the car began to overheat. I noticed this as I pulled into my driveway and noticed coolant dripping from the overflow tank.

So damn..........now that I think about, was I stupid enough to drive while the temp was in the RED ZONE. If so, I didn't notice it. Did it get hot enought to blow the gasket? THAT is my real question.

Because after the belt was on, it ran rough but it did not overheat. Maybe I didn't run it long enough.

Okay, I guess I was just thinking outloud. So maybe the timing belt issue was a side issue. Maybe the blown gasket was the problem the whole time.

Hmmmm............Live and Learn. Damn expensive lesson though. I'll let you guys know what the good independent mechanic says.
Old 05-10-10, 12:05 PM
bmoore
Rookie

That sure sounds strange... why would they remove your intake manifold if you brought it in for timing belt issues? And wouldn't just the removal of the intake manifold cost more than $110 at dealer shop rates?
Old 05-11-10, 01:17 PM
tomeyeman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bmoore
That sure sounds strange... why would they remove your intake manifold if you brought it in for timing belt issues? And wouldn't just the removal of the intake manifold cost more than $110 at dealer shop rates?
That's what I was thinking. I paid the bill yesterday but left the car to tow away for tomorrow. They were waiting to hear from me to put it back together. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone with this car

BTW, the LS430 I picked up yesterday is great. I didn't really realize how much they've changed since '96. Lots of gadgets (probably more to break eventually though).

Still trying to get the 400 to the indy mechanic. He doesn't seem too anxious to return my call.

Last edited by tomeyeman; 05-11-10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 12:40 PM
tomeyeman
Driver School Candidate

Got the LS400 at a machine shop to check on the price of a rebuild vs. a used engine. The indy mechanic basically said he doesn't recommened a top end-only rebuild and I'd be better off doing the whole thing.

Mechanics apparantly work on their own time frame, different from the rest of the world, so maybe I'll find something out while it's still 2010.
Old 05-12-10, 01:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i'd just swap if i was you...
Old 05-13-10, 04:42 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

can anyone confirm that the later 1uz is an interference motor?
Old 05-13-10, 05:01 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

never mind i just found this.....

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...older=brochure
Old 05-13-10, 05:13 AM
bmoore
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
can anyone confirm that the later 1uz is an interference motor?
Read this thread... perhaps the first post?
Old 05-13-10, 05:42 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

I would trust the Timing belt manufacturer before i would club lexus.....

Quick Reply: Notes on Timing Belt change -- '95-96