LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

lexus leather sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 11:08 AM
kimanh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry lexus leather sucks

so i was doing my weekly car cleaning. i decided to clean my driver door with lexol leather cleaner. i notice a dirty spot and start to rub it, all of sudden the leather started to discolor to black. now i have this eye soaring black faded spot. is it me or lexus leather quality sucks . having tan leather is pita to keep clean too. it looks alot worse in person then it does in the picture.

Old 05-25-10, 11:24 AM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You more likely REMOVED the color from the leather. The arm rest is a high wear area and the dark area you saw was the beginning stage of the color wear and you amplified it with the cleaner. The leather is good and there are some good diy leather restoration (including color kits) companies like Leather Magic. I used the leather magic recolor on my leather toyota cressida seats and was truely impressed.
The color on our leather is just a coating that can be restored.
Old 05-25-10, 11:40 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

The brown color is also on my driver's door armrest. However, it's not as bad once the lexol dries.

Lexus leather doesn't seem to be the best. And mine is a Coach.
Old 05-25-10, 12:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lexus leather needs to be treated properly, going overboard when cleaning it given its sun baked glory is not the smartest thing to do.
Old 05-25-10, 01:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Looks like you rubbed the top color off. If the leather is dry, it will flake off like this. My arm rest at this same point has some similar marks. I don't rub it aggressively, just gently apply the cleaner and conditioner and wipe it lightly.

Lexol cleaner is pretty mild so it isn't as aggressive as some other cleaners. You may want to try some of the others listed in the detailing section if Lexol isn't doing what you want. I'm happy with it but YMMV.
Old 05-25-10, 02:18 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

The next car I buy with a leather interior better have black leather!
Old 05-26-10, 08:47 AM
kimanh
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40
Looks like you rubbed the top color off. If the leather is dry, it will flake off like this. My arm rest at this same point has some similar marks. I don't rub it aggressively, just gently apply the cleaner and conditioner and wipe it lightly.

Lexol cleaner is pretty mild so it isn't as aggressive as some other cleaners. You may want to try some of the others listed in the detailing section if Lexol isn't doing what you want. I'm happy with it but YMMV.
yah next time ima just meguiers leather cleaner / conditioner to clean.

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
The next car I buy with a leather interior better have black leather!
i know black is soo easy to take care of and u cant see minor wear unless its a crack.
Old 05-26-10, 11:13 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ivory leather in my 95 and its in pretty good shape a few hard spots and a few cracks but no open tears anywhere. I just put on some Leatherique and will post back after I clean it up. There have been others on here that have used Leatherique and posted about it. I used this stuff on my 93 Land Cruiser and it did wonders for 17 year old leather. It dropped a shade in color b.c of all the dirt that came out now its all a lighter grey. It also softened it up nicely. I have tried a nunber of other off the shelf kind without such good results.
Old 05-26-10, 11:15 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

7shulz, I will be anxious to see how it turns out!
Old 05-26-10, 07:10 PM
JDMYOTA
Driver School Candidate

lexus leather does suck!!!
Old 05-26-10, 07:25 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

It's not as bad as Mazda leather.
Old 05-27-10, 10:11 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did restore the seats of my car, turned out very good '90-94' sucks ten times more than +95
Old 05-28-10, 06:05 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Not a lot of change or dirt that came out of my seats. Maybe it needed to sit in the heat longer it was near 90 in the sun for 4 hrs. Can't say that I really noticed a difference in the before and after feel like with the LC
Old 05-28-10, 06:38 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Hm.... that's too bad.

I was looking at some before/after shots using Leatherique on a Chrysler LHS. It did remove a lot of the dirt, but the creases in the leather were still very visible and it the final result didn't seem any better than the condition my leather is in right now, already.
Old 05-28-10, 07:46 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

The stuff works, I don't doubt that, but I have maintenance records where this car has been detailed by Lexus before so it wasn't a dirty car at all. But the leather doesn't feel supple like I think it should.

Quick Reply: lexus leather sucks