LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Twin Turbo is in Process

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-02, 09:08 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently, i am still waiting for some parts for the turbos. ie actuators, exhause flanges. Once that is done, i will have it custom fab the pipes. Order a custom intercooler from Spearco. Once the turbos are mounted, the oil system will be install. I dont have a deadline, but i will try to get it done soon.
Old 06-28-02, 01:50 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you give us a ballpark estimate on the cost of the Stage I?
Old 06-28-02, 02:41 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

god, let the man finish the job!
Old 06-28-02, 04:11 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Oh~~~~~My LS400 with Twin Turbo.......400 HP.......Damn!!! "Prepare for trouble, and make it double."
Old 06-28-02, 05:32 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Finally,a realistic approach to an air ducting project.
Way to go man!
Are you're sure you're going to want to be without/tear apart the car while the pipes are duplicated?
The quality of production parts is nearly always far better than aftermarket,uh,stuff,big companies don't buy junk.
Old 06-28-02, 06:10 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Originally posted by kenjitsou
Oh~~~~~My LS400 with Twin Turbo.......400 HP.......Damn!!! "Prepare for trouble, and make it double."
LMAO...don't tell me you watch that cartoon
Old 06-30-02, 10:48 PM
LexieLS
Rookie

I'm very grad to hear that you are working hard to put this project together. I'm very happy with my LS so far but i just hope it would have a little more punch to it cuz before i had this car i used to have a MB E420. I liked the power of the MB but other than that, nothing compare to my LS.

So keep us updated and you can count on me on this project if it's not too pricey. i also have another question. if you use cheaper stuff, would it be easy to break apart? if it did, would that be hard to get it fixed??

i dont know much thing about TURBO but it seems to me that it's the easiest way to get power to your car. so i'm interested.
Old 07-01-02, 09:35 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Default Survey on Hood Scoop

Hey Gang,

After few assessments of the system, i come to realized that FMIC (front mount intercooler) will be too laggy due to the distance from the turbos(located next to the tranny) and the pipping from the turbos to the IC. Secondly, due to the bumper design, the IC will have to be long and skinny. Long and skinny is very ineffecient design due to the low number of intercooling tubes. Therefore, i was thinking putting the intercooler on top of the engine. The pipping will be majorly reduced. The intercooler will be design to handle up to 800-1000 hp, just in case to change your mind and increase boost.

Due to the heat radiates from the engine bay, a thermal blanket will be used to cover the whole engine. Above the thermal blanket will be the intercooler sitting right on top of the intake.

This setup is much effecient as far as intercooling, intercooling restiction and greatly reduce lag. There is one downside to this design is that stock hood would not have enough room to house an intercooler, therefore, a custom scoop will be needed. Basically, the intercooler will rise above the hood (the hood need to be cut to fit the intercooler) and add the custom hood on top of the intercooler.

Hoods are hand in hand with aggressive setup. I am trying to design a hood that is very settle, but functional as far as the induction of fresh air. What do you think?

david
Old 07-01-02, 04:29 PM
v8huntr
Rookie

maybe after cooler would work better in small areas. spearco makes nice ones.
Old 07-01-02, 05:31 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

AIR/LIQUID INTERCOOLER sounds great, but room and space within the engine bay still post a problem.
Old 07-02-02, 08:16 PM
Kizoku
Rookie

well healerhand i congrat u on takin on such a project.....a LS TT would be nice.....the only thing im thinking is that the hood scoop might look a lil' too ricey on the LS.....just my opinion......but couldnt bumpers be cut to fit a a thicker IC......also btw i was thinking u might add blow off valve to the system......in japan nearly every car w/ turbo has them and after living there for so long when u think turbo u think a loud pssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh
keep us posted on your progress......im sure many of us LS fans are eagerly awaiting your results
Old 07-03-02, 12:02 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

About the intercooler.....Hmm.....I think my car will be able to fit a FMIC because when my shop put on my front body kit, the front reinforcement steel bar and the impact absorbing cushion couldn't fit inside the front kit. I am now driving without the steel bar and the cushion(which means any kind of impact will seriously damage my front and my LIFE.) So I think I'll be able have the intercooler mounted in the front with that limited space.
BTW.......Will it be cheaper or easier to just swap the GS430 motor and trans. instead of doing the TT? I drove my customer's GS430 today.......Ohhh.....Very fast and powerful.....Way faster than our LS.
Old 07-03-02, 05:51 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Well, the scoop on top of the hood is a little too much for me. Also, once police pop your hood they weill know your car is probably illigal anyway. Is there a way to use smaller intercoolers ot any other places? I actually do not mind the turbo lag at all even if the system kicks in at 3200RPM.
Old 07-03-02, 09:30 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

FMIC will be use in this TT kit. TMIC i would bypass MAF. Bypasssing MAF wouldnot be a good thing to do. I talked to Chris Mun yesterday and i was encouraged to use FMIC instead of TMIC because MAF. Pressure Density or Air Density is very hard to tune.

With further reading of Max Boost by Corky Bell. The air speed is very fast (450 ft/sec i think), therefore an extra 4-5 feet of tube would not make that much different. Besides, i will be using Ball Bearing Turbos.
Old 07-04-02, 02:19 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Correct dia. pipe on the pressure side will keep the velocity high,better response,and the airflow #s won't be affected much at all.
Look at the Lotus 4cylinder car's system,the tubing looks to be just too small for what you'd expect,but that car runs just fine.

If you can pull this one off,it'll definately raise some eyebrows.
Are you planning on having the airflow meter on the pressure side,or intake?

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo is in Process