LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 ---How do these handle in the snow espescially when comapred to FWD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 04:44 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
What area of Kansas do you live? I am south central and we get some snow in spurts. Was wondering the same thing about snow driving in these cars. But its not my daily driver so i am thinking a good set of all season tires would work.
I'm in the Kansas City area but I've frequently much further north during winters for family reasons. I drove a 90 LS through 13 winters and now a 00 LS through seven winters. My 90 LS completely sucked in snow even with snow tires. My 00 LS with its VSC, "snow mode" transmission setting, and vastly improved ABS is great fun to drive in heavy snow but I use true winter tires (mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewalls) on it.

One can't generalize about how LS400's handle snow and ice. The 98-up LS400 is in a completely different league that the early ones.
Old 07-13-10, 05:01 PM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For added traction throw your Mother In Law in the trunk and you should have no problems and the ride will still be nice and quiet!!
Old 07-13-10, 05:18 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turboomni
For added traction throw your Mother In Law in the trunk and you should have no problems and the ride will still be nice and quiet!!
I'm still a bachelor....but I think that's a recipe for trouble. I wouldn't think the extra traction would be worth it.
Old 07-13-10, 06:56 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I'm in the Kansas City area but I've frequently much further north during winters for family reasons. I drove a 90 LS through 13 winters and now a 00 LS through seven winters. My 90 LS completely sucked in snow even with snow tires. My 00 LS with its VSC, "snow mode" transmission setting, and vastly improved ABS is great fun to drive in heavy snow but I use true winter tires (mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewalls) on it.

One can't generalize about how LS400's handle snow and ice. The 98-up LS400 is in a completely different league that the early ones.
Thanks for the good info. I will stick to all season since i have another front wheel drive car too. Mine is a 92 but hope to upgrade someday.
Old 07-13-10, 07:42 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
I'm still a bachelor....but I think that's a recipe for trouble. I wouldn't think the extra traction would be worth it.
You have much to learn, young grasshopper!
Old 07-15-10, 03:35 AM
GR8TSCOT
Driver School Candidate

Default Get a winter driver

A preamble: I grew up in the 60's and early 70's in Ottawa with big, RWD North American cars - I asolutlely know how to drive a RWD car in the snow.

I've had my '99 LS400 for 8 years now. I love it, and want to keep it forever. However when I tried winter driving for a couple of years (with GOOD snow tires), it was just a big pain. Too much torque, not enough weight on the drive wheels, and overzealous traction control make driving this car in the winter frustrating at best, and downright dangerous if you're not careful.

I ended up purchased a '99 Honda CRV for a winter driver. Now THAT is a great car in snow! With proper snow tires, the CRV will go through ANYTHING. My favourite trip was last January, 7:00 AM on a Sunday morning after a 6" snowfall, the 401 hadn't been plowed: ruts in the right lane, untouched fresh snow in the left lane. Drove from Toronto to Ottawa (280 miles) at 70 mph, frequently passing other vehicles in the left lane. NO WAY I could have done that in the Lexus, or any other RWD car or even FWD car.

IMHO, save your baby for summer. I will still have mine 10 years from now, and it will still be rust-free, since it's not being aged by road salt :-)

If you *do* still intend on driving your baby in the snow, turn the traction control off. I found the fishtailing is easier to control than dealing with the incessant application of brakes when you're trying to keep your momentum up. A final piece of advice: put a couple of patio stones in the trunk, your traction WILL improve.
Old 07-15-10, 05:16 AM
Max Power

Originally Posted by GR8TSCOT
A preamble: I grew up in the 60's and early 70's in Ottawa with big, RWD North American cars - I asolutlely know how to drive a RWD car in the snow.

I've had my '99 LS400 for 8 years now. I love it, and want to keep it forever. However when I tried winter driving for a couple of years (with GOOD snow tires), it was just a big pain. Too much torque, not enough weight on the drive wheels, and overzealous traction control make driving this car in the winter frustrating at best, and downright dangerous if you're not careful.

I ended up purchased a '99 Honda CRV for a winter driver. Now THAT is a great car in snow! With proper snow tires, the CRV will go through ANYTHING. My favourite trip was last January, 7:00 AM on a Sunday morning after a 6" snowfall, the 401 hadn't been plowed: ruts in the right lane, untouched fresh snow in the left lane. Drove from Toronto to Ottawa (280 miles) at 70 mph, frequently passing other vehicles in the left lane. NO WAY I could have done that in the Lexus, or any other RWD car or even FWD car.

IMHO, save your baby for summer. I will still have mine 10 years from now, and it will still be rust-free, since it's not being aged by road salt :-)

If you *do* still intend on driving your baby in the snow, turn the traction control off. I found the fishtailing is easier to control than dealing with the incessant application of brakes when you're trying to keep your momentum up. A final piece of advice: put a couple of patio stones in the trunk, your traction WILL improve.
I live in Ottawa and I found the LS400 (1991), to be amazing in snow with good winter tires.
Old 07-15-10, 06:00 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

How do you turn traction control off on a 99 LS400? Are Canadian 99 LS400's different in that respect than those sold in the States? Do you have a separate Trac Off button? We don't. The only way to turn traction control off on a US specification 98-00 LS400 is to turn off VSC (vehicle stability control) which some including me consider the most important safety feature developed since seat belts.

What "incessant application of brakes" are you talking about. I've never had that problem when driving my 00 LS400 in snow. And definitely don't put "patio stones" in your trunk. That's very dangerous. I used to put a couple of bags of sand in the trunk of the 90 LS I drove through 13 winters but have found that to be completely unnecessary with my 00 LS400.

Are you using real snow tires in winter? Are they in good condition? Snow tires need a lot of tread to be effective. A friend of mine hates his 99 LS in the winter but he uses all-season tires. I use heavy duty snow tires (mountain/snowflake symbol) on my 00 LS and it does far better in snow than our front wheel drive Camry and better than many 4WD SUV's.

Are we talking about the same car?
Old 07-15-10, 08:46 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
I live in Georgia part of the year...the winter months I spend in Canada.
no help here (tx) but did anyone else find this kind of backwards?
Old 07-16-10, 02:35 AM
GR8TSCOT
Driver School Candidate

How do you turn traction control off on a 99 LS400? Are Canadian 99 LS400's different in that respect than those sold in the States? Do you have a separate Trac Off button? We don't. The only way to turn traction control off on a US specification 98-00 LS400 is to turn off VSC (vehicle stability control) which some including me consider the most important safety feature developed since seat belts.
That's right, turn off VSC. VSC does two things: maintain control on dry/wet pavement if the vehicle starts getting sideways (valuable), and stops rear wheelspin by applying brakes to the wheel which is spinning (big problem when trying to start from a standstill, or keep up momentum going up a slippery hill). I have been stopped dead in my tracks many times with VSC on, trying to climb a snow/ice-covered hill. With VSC off, the wheels may spin, but at least you can keep up momentum.

What "incessant application of brakes" are you talking about. I've never had that problem when driving my 00 LS400 in snow.
The VSC! It applies brakes to the spinning wheel. See paragraph above.

And definitely don't put "patio stones" in your trunk. That's very dangerous. I used to put a couple of bags of sand in the trunk of the 90 LS I drove through 13 winters but have found that to be completely unnecessary with my 00 LS400.
So, sand bags are safe but patio stones aren't? Gimme a break! Putting additional weight over the drive wheels of a RWD car is often the ONLY way to achieve adequate traction.

Are you using real snow tires in winter? Are they in good condition? Snow tires need a lot of tread to be effective. A friend of mine hates his 99 LS in the winter but he uses all-season tires. I use heavy duty snow tires (mountain/snowflake symbol) on my 00 LS and it does far better in snow than our front wheel drive Camry and better than many 4WD SUV's.
Yes, REAL snow tires, new, DEEP tread. Never a problem with braking, only with getting started from a stop, or keeping momentum up a hill. Sorry, but this can only be called "good" traction until you compare it with any AWD or FWD vehicle with snow tires.
From best to worst, here's how different vehicles behave in snowy/icy conditions:
1. AWD with snow tires
2. FWD with snow tires
3. RWD with snow tires
4. AWD with 3-season tires (ain't no such thing as "All Season Tires")
5. FWD with 3-season tires
6. RWD with 3-season tires

Are we talking about the same car?
Same car, possibly different snow tires, definitely different bases for comparison!
Old 07-16-10, 04:16 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Same car, possibly different snow tires, definitely different bases for comparison!
Howard, I have to wonder if the VSC/Trac system is working properly on your car. I have never heard of anyone having trouble in a 98-00 LS like you are describing when using true snow tires. It's not like you guys get all that much snow in Toronto.

The thing with "patio stones" is that they could be dangerous is a crash or even in a quick stop. Your gas tank is between our trunks and rear seats and I doubt if the thin metal bulkhead would protect against a flying stone. I learned the hard way when carrying a beer keg in a trunk 30+ years ago -- bad idea -- trashed the trunk pretty good!
Old 07-16-10, 08:17 AM
98LS
Rookie

Fortunately, in Tennessee we don't get a lot of snow. When we do, my LS does okay but you have to be very careful and really take it easy. At least they do a good job pre-treating and treating the main roads when it snows. The problem is driving the side streets, which are a lower priority with limited snow removal equipment. That can be fun with a big rear wheel drive car

If I lived in an area that regularly gets more snow, I would invest in a set of good snow tires.
Old 07-17-10, 06:58 PM
jz4203
Rookie

I've got a `96 LS400 that stays in the garage when it snows. I don't even waste money on snow tires (though I tried once). For the winter, my daily driver is a `98 GS400 with snow tires (Dunlop M3s). I place 70-140 lbs over the rear axle (place them in the trunk up against the rear seat). Haven't had a problem with New Hampshire winters. The difference between the `96 and `98 is the VSC and snow mode and they work really well in the winter.
Old 07-19-10, 07:58 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
You have much to learn, young grasshopper!
I hope it is something to look forward to
Old 07-19-10, 01:16 PM
KMinAF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VSC = Nanny

Regardless of the brand I have found traction control systems in the snow to be a pita because sometimes I want the tires to keep spinning to maintain momentum. I prefer to be able to predict my course than to hope the "car" will do it for me. IMHO

Quick Reply: 98 LS400 ---How do these handle in the snow espescially when comapred to FWD!