LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Post Up Details Of Your Defective Parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 05:24 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow Post Up Details Of Your Defective Parts

I'm not trying to throw any resellers under the bus here. In many cases they don't manufacture their products, they're just reselling them. But I think from a consumer standpoint, we should be aware of problems with any specific products that any manufacturer or reseller are feeding us that we should potentially avoid from others experience.

Since I've had a couple problems recently with both struts and UCA's purchased from Arnott, I thought this might be a good thread to start so everyone can let us know what kinds of problems people have had with defective parts they've purchased. Either defective out of the box, or premature failure during use, so that others here can potentially avoid those specific products.

This doesn't necessarily mean you need to avoid "all" products from a specific manufacturer or reseller, maybe just specific one's...

1.) Recently, I've had premature failure of the Arnott UCA's, the boots around both ball joints tore after about 15 months / 8k miles.

2.) I've recently had premature failure of Arnott struts as well. They started making clunking/groaning noises after about 3k miles over the smallest bumps or when taking corners at slow speeds, I took them out at 5k miles. Both of these Arnott products are sourced from China.

3.) I've had a right inner tie rod from Beck Arnley be defective right out of the box. The threads on the end should have been left handed, but instead were cut as a right handed thread. I ended up buying an OEM inner tie rod which worked fine.

4.) I've had a problem out of the box with a Volt brand Bi-Xenon kit that I bought from Xenon Depot. The Bi-Xenon bulbs were manufactured wrong and lit up the tops of 80 foot pine trees instead of the road. Xenon Depot acknowledge a manufacturing defect with the Volt Bi-Xenon's and stopped selling the Bi-Xenon Volt kits.

Jim
Old 08-01-10, 05:54 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

beck-arnley parts are reboxed units, they dont make anything. the part u got wasnt defective but misboxed. altrom parts are also reboxed,much like dealer parts.
Old 08-01-10, 06:08 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

So are you saying that the right inner tie rod on a 1st Gen LS400 is a part that is used on other vehicles that is exactly the same in every respect, except that its manufactured with a right handed thread as opposed to the left handed thread used on the LS?
Old 08-01-10, 06:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

honestly, that is very very possible. especially given that you couldnt tell if they were perfectly identical (in terms of say, comparing the angles on the joints).

i've never had an OEM part fail, nor have i had any of the aftermarket parts i've purchased break, bend, snap, or fail.

the most trouble i've had was with 2 dead LEDs, a dying CCFL in my trunk, numerous flats (several due to wear), and the fact that every 6-9 months i break a weld on my exhaust support (long tips set up to scrape against driveways, saving my bumper), causing one side to rattle until i get it fixed. the last time i was in they ended up using 3-4 pieces of 3/8" steel rod to reinforce both sides, i'm pretty sure i could jack my car up by them now
Old 08-01-10, 07:00 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, This was the inner tie rod, not the outer. The design is pretty unique. It has a 2" (+-) thread on the inside portion of it and attaches to the rack shaft on the passenger side. The left handed thread has a very large aluminum nut that goes on it.

If it was the outer tie rod, I would agree with you guys that it could have been boxed incorrectly since there are so many that look similar...
Old 08-01-10, 11:18 AM
zgr81c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same failure with the Arnott UCA's. The boot on both, ripped after 7months and 8k miles.
Old 08-01-10, 12:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I've not been happy with many parts obtained from the big auto parts places on other cars. Often in terms of reduced longevity thus the lower price is offset of having to replace it sooner.

My list includes:

A/C compressors, condenser, various lines where the fittings fail. (Read that as poor tolerances in the cut threads.) Fuel pumps, brake master cylinders/reservoirs, water pumps, alternators...

After reviewing that waste, I hunt down the factory parts and not worry. Trying to save a $$ or so seldom works out. Especially for owners like me who want a long term car.

I've not had problems with shocks or struts since I usually buy the big names. Tokico has done well for me, KYB and Bilstein as well.

With the LS, I don't recall any part not coming in a box or packaging that had the red-white "Toyota" printed all over it. Even down to the windshield wipers, I buy from Toyota.
Old 08-01-10, 02:06 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

again toyota doesnt make their parts
Old 08-01-10, 03:07 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Python,

Give us some examples of diifferent Toyota / Lexus branded parts and who they source them from. That way we can buy those manufacturers brand parts without paying the Toyota premium for buying a part with their name on it... One example I know of is our brake pads. Toyota sources from Sumitomo.
Old 08-01-10, 05:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by python
again toyota doesnt make their parts
Yes.

A re-boxed doesn't necessarily mean it contains the same spec part or the re-build quality. It is vague to say all "Toyota" labeled parts are superior as they can and do fail. Whether the build quality is better is open.

I've had far too many "OEM" parts through the Cressida, and Celica fail pre-maturely to cease trying to save a few $. Whether that is due to poor install is also open. I'm not a heavy duty wrencher so these are parts installed by so called pro mechanics.

The long time Toyota tech at a local dealer tore down some of the suspected parts and found a multitude of issues. Low quality bearings, mis-sized O-rings, improper torque specs, stripped screws, gouges on bearing surfaces, silicone where a gasket should be. These were with the "lifetime guarantee" parts bought through various So. Cal auto parts stores. Even for myself having worked in a machine shop and seeing the process of machining spec parts...a thousandth can make or break it. I don't expect Toyota OEM spec to be that critical so my faith is in them providing a quality spec part that will function properly for the given application.

At that, my comfort lies in going to the Toyota/Lexus dealer for the parts as they have available. Prices with the various discounts makes them reasonable over other suppliers. I don't think of buying outside of the red-white "Toyota" boxes now. YMMV obviously.