LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS 400 performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 04:32 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stevie,

Based on the pic you posted in #7 of this thread that shows the condition of the fuel / filter, and that you stated the car sat for 2+ years, and the fact that your getting a lean condition 25 error, I think you need to clean the injectors, plus check / replace these items that you were planning to do earlier in this thread:

"If that doesn't work I'm going to replace the plugs, wires,caps, rotors. I may clean throttle body as well."

I think the car is not getting enough fuel due to dirty injectors... With the other maintenance items above possibly being a contributing factor.

Jim
Old 09-01-10, 05:04 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Stevie,

Based on the pic you posted in #7 of this thread that shows the condition of the fuel / filter, and that you stated the car sat for 2+ years, and the fact that your getting a lean condition 25 error, I think you need to clean the injectors, plus check / replace these items that you were planning to do earlier in this thread:

"If that doesn't work I'm going to replace the plugs, wires,caps, rotors. I may clean throttle body as well."

I think the car is not getting enough fuel due to dirty injectors... With the other maintenance items above possibly being a contributing factor.

Jim
Jim, I hear ya, but its the fact that the performance changed night and day from one day to the next. I just have a gut feeling after working on snowmobiles dirtbikes & cars for 25 years that something different happened. My mechanic tested fuel pressure and pumped out a litre all clean and I've run about 5 bottles of Lucas and other injector cleaners through it. Also, there's smooth idle and great performance all EXCEPT for full throttle only. No other symptoms, ie. hesitating, rough idle, trouble starting. Also, I'm looking for a gain from 16 seconds to 8.5 in the 0-60...........that's too big of a performace issue for plugs caps wire rotors that were functioning good last month and are still working good at all but full throttle.

Also, after reading the PAGES and PAGES of threads that Och posted with his troubles, he had same symptoms as me but spent all the money on new MAF, plugs, wires, gosh I can't remember what else everything you could imagine all with no changes in performance.

But thanks for the input, call me stubborn

I still may, I'm not going to rush out and buy an ECU, I'm just leaning towards that being the cause. The plugs wires caps rotors etc would run me around $300

Last edited by StevieA; 09-01-10 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 06:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i had code 25 and 51.

changed my main o2 sensors and it went away. for the code 51, seem to have been related to my car being off timing.
Old 09-01-10, 11:37 PM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are enough ECU's for less than $300 on ebay
Old 09-02-10, 03:00 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i had code 25 and 51.

changed my main o2 sensors and it went away. for the code 51, seem to have been related to my car being off timing.
BUT, was you car doing 0-60 in 12-16 seconds?
Old 09-02-10, 03:01 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Asia-H.T.
There are enough ECU's for less than $300 on ebay
Are they used? I got one for $25 - it performed as it was priced. I'll have a look

1st off though, I'm going to use the diagnosis flow charts Blunden so kindly provided me with. But they look over my head so I'll take them to may mechanic to run through
Old 09-02-10, 03:55 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

timing was off so probably.
Old 09-02-10, 05:25 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieA
OK speedy

What symptoms did the used ECU fix?
my problem was if you pressed the gas more then slightly, it would cut out like it had a 2 step rev limiter. so acceleration took about the time your complaining of. i was getting code 41(tps) and sometimes 47(trac tps, which my car doesnt even have). i replaced the tps with a good used one. same issue. checked the wiring from the tps to the ecu, it was good. thats when i sent the ecu to ate. got it back. same crap. tried same things. same results, so just so they couldnt blame the "used" tps i tried, i bought a new one. same issue. sent it back. they fixed "another burned out component" they found. same result when i got it back. checked everything 1 more time just for giggles. everything checked out again. so i kept looking till i found an ecu i could afford. bought it, and when it came in i swapped it in and voila, i can floor the gas and it doesnt cut out and no more engine codes
Old 09-02-10, 05:29 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

as for replacement ecu's, i found mine on car-part.com. got it from a place in maine.
Old 09-02-10, 06:19 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blunden
Before replacing the ECM try the diagnostic procedures for TRAC 51 code and Engine 25 code.
Thanks - they look a little too complicated for me so I have an appointment with my mechanic for Sept 8th to run these tests. I'll provide him with everything you gave me. Thanks again
Old 09-02-10, 09:47 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't read the entire thread, But be sure to have an ECU for a car without Trac if you don't have that option.
Old 09-08-10, 10:24 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Thanks - they look a little too complicated for me so I have an appointment with my mechanic for Sept 8th to run these tests. I'll provide him with everything you gave me. Thanks again
So I went to see my mechanic today, spoke for a few minutes showed him the codes and the repair tests Blunden so kindly provided me with.........he shook his head and said I don't have the gear to do that I could spend hours and get nowhere.....

So Sept 22-24th I'll be working near my nearest Lexus dealer 160km away so I'll leave with them for the three days I'm there. Regardless of price the problem should get solved.
Old 09-23-10, 03:28 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Getting a little scared...........Lexus has had my car for 1 1/2 days now haven't heard a peep out of them. Asked them to restore the car's performance. Scared they might not be able to fix yet try to charge me an arm & a leg..........surely to god they can diagnose & fix
Old 09-24-10, 05:01 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Getting a little scared...........Lexus has had my car for 1 1/2 days now haven't heard a peep out of them. Asked them to restore the car's performance. Scared they might not be able to fix yet try to charge me an arm & a leg..........surely to god they can diagnose & fix
Got my car back today - Lexus had it for 3 days.

They spent 1 hour on it.

Didn't fix anything

Didn't charge me anything

Detailed my car in & out

Here's all they said:

"Code 25 stored indicating lean condition. Left oxygen sensor is stuck on lean. Possibility of plugged exhaust converters as well. Power steering pump is leaking - $1,250 + tax Inspected steering and suspension. nearly all suspension bushings have play but none are at the point of being completely worn out. Road tested vehicle and vehicle ride is very soft indicating springs being weak. Seems to be sagging and handles poorly.

So I went straight from the dealer to my buddy's garage and unhooked the exhaust to try to determine if the converters were plugged however only place I could get it apart was after the two stage converters between the front & rear O2 sensors. Ran with that off loud as hell but performance no better. Not until I got on the computer right now did I realize I had unhooked BEHIND the converters making my test worthless......however, after a WOT run for 1/2 mile I shone flashlight into the two-stage converters both were glowing red inside........dunno if that was a sign of anything. Both had solid screens I couldn't penetrate and couldn't see any loose debris in them

Anyway, car still performs poorly at wide open throttle not sure what next step will be but if I ever do find the problem I'll be damn sure to let the board know this is a real pissoff to me. lexus obviously had no intention of accepting that I had a problem or trying to fix it

I wanted to make them watch my videos on page 3 of this thread to show the performance issues but they had no access to internet

Last edited by StevieA; 09-24-10 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 10:03 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

No access to internet? What, is the dealership out in the woods or something up there in Canada? At least there was no charge and ya got a detail out of it. They want you to come back for that power steering pump, which is a little high. What I did with mine was, I bought a used one from the J/Y for $25 and got a rebuild kit for my old one and just rebuilt it while driving with the used one. Still using the used one and now I have a rebuilt pump for when this one goes. I still think your problem has to do with your O2 sensors, but then again, a clogged cat might also do it. Try again unhooking the exhaust, this time before the cat, but wouldn't that throw off all the sensors and the ECU? If it seems to be fixed with the exhaust undone, it could still be the O2 sensor. Test them to see if they read right. Sorry to hear that the stealership couldn't diagnose it for ya, especially in all that time they had it.

Quick Reply: 93 LS 400 performance issues