LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Incredible's Lexus Ls400 Modification Process

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 02:52 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update!

Epic Fail Continued.

Last edited by SaintNexus; 03-27-11 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Epic.
Old 09-15-10, 06:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

did you prep the lower panels at all??

sorry but that looks like it was a $10 job.
Old 09-15-10, 06:25 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a good chance it's going to crack / craze. Especially on the bumpers.
Old 09-15-10, 10:56 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
did you prep the lower panels at all??

sorry but that looks like it was a $10 job.
I sanded it all down. What part makes it look like a $10 job? The scratches? I think I'm gonna redo that.

My cousin said if I did it in flat black, it would look much better. But thats just more work, cause I'd have to sand it all down again, and tape it up also. Ugh.
Old 10-01-10, 09:38 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

First off, congrats on your ls purchase. 2nd of all, i would save the money and go get the engine checked for anything that needs to be done.

As far as painting your lower panel, that is a horrible job and you did all of the prep work? If you preped it right, sanding and all, it should have turned out to be a little better than that.

But all in all, congrats on the purchase
Old 11-28-10, 03:15 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Well, its been nearly 2 months now. I finally got a job, and once I start making some money, I'm going to fix this up.

I want to get some wheels, does anyone recommend a size or style? I'm on a budget though, and don't want to spend more than $1,500 total for both wheel+tires. I'm thinking of this, but which diameter/width would you recommend? Here's the wheel I'm interested in:

http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-tir...0Gunmetal.html

I also wanna get me an in dash navigation. Don't know which brand would fit with this model Lexus, especially since its 20 years old.

I'm also going to debadge the word LEXUS on the trunk (does anyone know if it will leave holes? It's a '90 Lexus LS400) and the Lexus L logo, I want that to be Chrome, both the front and back. Will it be possible to put a chrome badge on the steering wheel? I'd love to be able to have that.

Some more important things that need to be done, besides cosmetics, is the Power-Steering fluid needs to be filled, and the Foot Brake and Traction control needs to be fixed also. The Foot Brake light would go on when I accelerate, and the word TRAC would appear at times randomly.

One thing I've noticed about the car, is that the drivers seat doesn't feel as, solid or durable as the passenger seat, it feels softer when I sit on it. I think the previous owner was probably really fat, but it just doesn't feel right, I wouldn't know how to explain it, or if you guys even know what I'm talking about. But I'd love to get that fixed.

I plan on changing the speakers in the car, as well as getting a subwoofer possibly. Oh, and the sunroof needs to be fixed. My cousin said that it could've blown a fuse or something like that, and it would cost less than $5 to get a new fuse, and the Sunroof would start working. Don't know if thats true, but I need to get that fixed also.

And the front passenger window goes up/down slower than the drivers one. Motor is dying?

Anyway, once I get some feedback from you guys, and I save enough money to fix this car, I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 11-28-10, 07:50 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Dude, you say your on a budget and, you want to spend $1500 on wheels and tires? Forget about that and do the mechanical stuff first. Like someone else said, "it's gonna look pretty and be sitting in the shop." First thing is the PS fluid leak, that's gonna cost ya to fix that and it's leaking on your alternator which, VERY soon, is gonna need to be replaced. Your windows are slow b/c the alternator isn't pushing enough power out with all that PS fluid inside it. Soon you're gonna have to do the timing belt, water pump, and the cam and crank seals. It probably needs suspension parts and bushings, being old. Add some brake fluid and that will stop the lights coming on for the brakes and TRAC.
Sorry but I also think you got burned on that price, especially on a 20 year old car that needs work. The tint doesn't look like "limo" tint, ya can see right through it. But, I do like the color.
Old 11-28-10, 02:20 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Ok, I'll less than $1,000 on wheels than, I found some other ones. But I agree, I'm gonna do all the mechanical work first.

How much will it cost to fix the PS fluid? How do you know that its leaking on the alternator?

Like I said, I just got a job, and as soon as I start bringing in some income, I'm gonna fix all that you mentioned. I know the price is high, real high, and I hate how i spent that much for it. But when looking at the car, it seemed fine cosmetic wise, I didn't focus as much on the electronics (sunroof, windows, speakers) as I should have, cause I was so concerned with other things.

The place that I got it limo tint was where my cousin recommended. It's pretty dark, maybe the flash was on when I took the photo. I think cause my interior is beige, instead of black, its more noticeable, but trust me, its pretty ****in dark. Considerably darker than my 530i.
Old 11-28-10, 02:21 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Should I double limo the rear?
Old 11-28-10, 06:53 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

ok so i keep seeing this post titled "incredible lexus modification process"....but i keep seeing the same car with nothing done....
Old 11-28-10, 07:16 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Maybe you should read the few posts above so you can know whats going on.
Old 11-28-10, 08:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

this thread needs a grammar fix lol.

"Incredible's Lexus LS400 ..."
Old 11-29-10, 06:30 AM
ariasuriah
Driver

Originally Posted by python
ok so i keep seeing this post titled "incredible lexus modification process"....but i keep seeing the same car with nothing done....
LOL......I was also dooped into this gross vehicle neglect modification process.

To the op, your hearts in the right place just focus on maintenance first(function before fashion). Then look at pictures for inspiration and plan your build. Good luck. Also consider coilovers before wheels, it might look a little goofy with decent wheels but a huge gap. Just my .02
No worries man take your time and build it right, and make this an "incredible lexus modification process".
Old 11-29-10, 06:41 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

another suggestion is dont post 9 pics of having only the windows tinted, ur car needs rims,tires,paint,suspension work, look at the gap in wheel wells. but i think pure drifter hit the nail on the head about the title. instead of incredible which btw can me looked at like this "too extraordinary and improbable to be believed...making incredible claims"
ur name should have been "going to take awhile to do my mods"
Old 11-29-10, 08:21 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Edit edit edit, add the ( 's ) onto your name in the title so people will stop thinking it's the most wonderful car out there and then they see yours. Maybe the tint is darker up in person but I still don't think it's "limo" tint, it looks about 15%. You should also add a 6 or 8 inch strip on the windsheild. (It blocks more light from the front) PS fluid in alternator - you say the PS needs to be filled which means it leaks. They all do, and most leak on and into the alternator.

Quick Reply: Incredible's Lexus Ls400 Modification Process