LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Incredible's Lexus Ls400 Modification Process

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 09:04 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate to say it but you are doing an "incredible" job of ruining this decently clean car.

first off, take care of your maintenance. these are old cars and if you blow your budget on small stuff you'll be stuck out when something breaks on you. there's not a long list of common problems for this car, but there are a few things. do your research.

second, don't make non-upgrades. cheap wheels, ugly body kits, and rattle can paint jobs are not going to improve the look of the ls; they are going to take away from it. the black lower section was a bad idea from the start and was horribly executed. i would suggest having the lower part professionally color matched at this point. don't spray your leather, even if you get it right it will look bad eventually.

lowering the car is a must. it is not going to look good at that height no matter what you do (unless you go for the donk look and throw on some 24s). if you have the factory air suspension then you can lower using a controller. be warned though, this could blow your old factory struts. i question that your factory air is intact, judging by your pics a coil spring coversion looks likely.

for wheels in your price range i suggest looking for used in the classifieds/online jdm wheel sources. you aren't going to get anything worth having for $1k new. just keep an eye out for a good deal, there are some in the for sale section right now.

not saying you need to go this far, or in this direction, but you definitely need to be exposed to a higher level of modifiying. stop listening to your cousin. this is obviously a case of the blind leading the blind.

take your time, do your research, do things in the proper order, execute well, and emphasize quality.

Last edited by BLKonBLK98; 11-29-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-29-10, 11:47 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by python
another suggestion is dont post 9 pics of having only the windows tinted, ur car needs rims,tires,paint,suspension work, look at the gap in wheel wells. but i think pure drifter hit the nail on the head about the title. instead of incredible which btw can me looked at like this "too extraordinary and improbable to be believed...making incredible claims"
ur name should have been "going to take awhile to do my mods"
Speaking of names, I wanted my name to be Mr. Incredible, cause i love Pixar's The Incredibles movie, but for some reason the forum didn't allow it to be that long and cut it off, so I just left it as Incredible.
Old 11-29-10, 11:49 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
this thread needs a grammar fix lol.

"Incredible's Lexus LS400 ..."
I just edited the title in the original post, but I don't think it works. Can a mod do this?
Old 11-29-10, 11:57 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Lastly, I'm not sure how far I'm going to go into fixing this. I might just do maintenance to keep it running well, and give the car to my dad, and get myself a new one.

Once I pay off 50% of the debt that I'm in within the next 6-12 months, I plan on getting a CPO Toyota or Lexus. I know I want the car with nav and leather, and instead of spending $22k for a Toyota Avalon, I might spend an extra $1k-$2k more and get a Lexus GS300.

We'll see what happens, and I'll keep everyone posted.

P.s. Blkonblk, the bottom portion was fading in color, i know i should've had it professionally done, but I was unemployed at the time and had to do what I did to make it look somewhat more appealing than what it was.
Old 11-30-10, 01:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there's a thread in the site suggestions forum at the very bottom of the site to request name changes.
Old 12-01-10, 06:32 PM
Jcp90ls400
Driver School Candidate

good luck. Interior looks great. Enjoy that car will last forever. My 90 LS has 214K miles on it and it runs like a champ.
Old 12-13-10, 02:44 PM
NZls400
Driver School Candidate

Default .

thort id help ya out on paint it looks **** and thats putting it nicely. dont go near a car with a spraycan lmao paintwork is 95% prep 5% actual painting those scratches you see are caused from your final sanding being to rough from the looks p240??? you will want to finish in atleast 320-400 for a flat colour, finer if using a metalic. If you are spraying plastic and you are you will have to use some sort of plastic primer only on sand throughs and your edges. bog any chips and dents block with 80-180 dont be scared with bog aslong as surface is sanded and cleaned you cant go wrong more is better than less ur only gunna sand it off. then apply 3-4 heavy coats of primer/filler and block with 240 apply guide coat either light mist coat of black paint/primer or a powder form you can buy. this will show scratches. then finish sand with 320-600 depending on finish u want until scratches are gone. blow everything off mask out your work.this is a must DO NOT mask out and prep then spray.
now you should be ready to paint if your just gunna go black you should only need 3 coats i prefer 2 pac watever finish u get if not happy you can always colour sand/wet sand with 1600-2400 grit and buff to get flat glassy finish. also while prepping avoid hand sanding apart from blocking and edges and tricky bits use a DA (dual action) sander . hope this helps
Old 12-13-10, 04:56 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
i hate to say it but you are doing an "incredible" job of ruining this decently clean car.
Truth

Dude the advice from most round here will be... STOP.

If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll spend lots on pointless ****, turn a clean and tidy LS into a total abortion, then it will overheat or cook the trans and be worth literally nothing.

Spend a bit more time round here learning what these cars need in terms of maintenance and slowly do it all. Then you'll have a car worth doing some small mods to. Dont waste money on some huge wheels, those wheels are nice (unique) and will look a million bucks with the car lowered a couple inches. Let someone that knows what they're doing fix your messy paint job (same colour as the top half will will look really clean if you want to change it)

So, do some more reading/searching, come up with a plan of how you want the car to look (go thru all the pics of other people's LS's here), THEN get to work.

Or ignore the good advice, and dont expect any more.
Old 12-15-10, 10:29 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Power Steering is off? Thats odd. JK,

Looks clean, enjoy the build.

I kind of like the wheels, if it were dropped. Does anyone now what they are? Not lex wheels despite the "L"

Last edited by Jrezo; 12-15-10 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 05:24 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sorry but you got owned on the price of that car, no question. $4500 is easy 95-97 money in decent shape.
He spent $4,200 total with tax, license, registration etc......

Originally Posted by deanshark
Sorry but I also think you got burned on that price, especially on a 20 year old car that needs work. The tint doesn't look like "limo" tint, ya can see right through it. But, I do like the color.
I dont "think" he got burned on the price at all. How so? KBB private party value in Good condition is $3,425 and even in Fair condition it's $2,875. He paid $4,200 with tax, license, registration, etc. Yeah it may need some work but he still got a pretty good price.

That 20 year old car that needs work is still a way better vehicle than the majority of newer American cars.

Look at what he had in the first place.... Ill take that 1990 LS400 with 130,000 miles over the 2002 530i anyday.

I had a 2000 bmw 528i with 110,000 miles that i sold a few months ago and my 1993 Lexus LS400 with 200,000 miles is way better...

Incredible, very wise choice on the purchase and you got it for a pretty reasonable price. Definitely a massive upgrade.
Originally Posted by Incredible

My Cars Problems:

1. Speakers. Every speaker is completely blown, except for the speaker on the drivers side, and the base in the rear.

2. Power steering. When I test drove it, the salesperson didn't let me reverse the car or anything, and now I know why. The steering is a bit messed up, and needs work. Could be just the fluid?

3. Sunroof. The sunroof doesn't open. I don't think its broken, it could be just the wiring.

4. Windows. With one press of the button, the drivers window goes down automatically. But I need to keep my finger on the button for the rest of the windows. Also, some windows go a bit slower than others, so that needs to be fixed.

5. Alignment. The steering wheel is a bit off, so I need to fix that.

6. Headlight Adjustment. The head lights are too low, I need to raise that.

Thats basically all the problems on the car. I highly doubt that its going to cost me more than $1,000 to fix it all.
1. For now just leave the speakers alone the car will drive perfectly fine with or without them working.

2. Power steering is going to be the biggest cost to take care of. Fix this first once you get the money.

3. Sunroof is probably the wiring but who knows.

4. Only the drivers window is automatic. The 1998 and up LS400's have all window's that go up and down automatically. The windows going slower than others is probably the window motors. My alternator in my 1993 Lexus LS400 is working perfectly fine and some windows go down/up slower than others especially the drivers side.

5. Alignment should be $50.

6. Headlight Adjustment you can do yourself without much difficulty.

Its pretty amazing seeing how some of you guys are treating Incredible..... Help him out.

Last edited by elite7; 12-17-10 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 09:14 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

elite7, It's nice that you're defending this kid and you say we should "help him out". Right from the start he said "Any input would be much appreciated. I'd love to get feedback from you guys" So, we gave him our opinion, feedback. First off he shouldn't have bought the car, or at least, looked it over better and got the price lowered b/c of the work it needs. His first post he said "the guy wouldn't let me go in reverse". Should have walked away, then found another car to look at. But he didn't and now he's stuck with this one asking our advice, so we give him advice. Sure, it sounds mean at times, but hey, it's constructive criticism. And where in the hell can you get an alignment done on an LS400 for $50???? Please tell us so we don't go there.
Old 12-19-10, 03:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Guys lets keep this thread mature and polite please. If you can't do that (and feel the need to comment on the people posting in the thread vs the topic - Incredible's LS and related advice for him) then do not reply.

Thank you.
Old 12-20-10, 10:46 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for all off you with the prices.....Im sticking with PD on this one... I bought mine a 91 with new tires, 142k miles, and after tax, tags etc cost me 1,700.00
Old 10-22-11, 10:26 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up BIG BUMP With A Smarter Mindset!

I had photos of my LS a year ago, but I removed it on March because, well, it's a complete fail.

I'm doing great paying off my debt, not there yet, but it's getting there (considering how I was working part time for a year, quit my job this past September, and have been working with my dad ever since).

Instead of doing everything cheap, I'm gonna be smarter with this, and go legit.

So, lets see how the car is doing currently, and my plans for it.

Maintenance

-Oil changes are all up to date and timely. Next oil change is in about 1,500 miles, which will be around Late November or Early December.

-Power steering was messed up. The fluid was leaking from somewhere and I got this entire piece replaced, and now my steering feels better. It's still hard to turn sometimes, but I'll get that checked out later.

-This nozzle that provides air into the engine (I forgot what it's called so I hope you guys know what I'm talking about, it's the tube that's right below the L badge on the engine), had a hole. So I got that replaced and this other component too (again, forgot what it's called).

-I used to have the: Service Engine, Trac Control, and Trac lights go on, but all those were resolved the moment that I fixed the nozzle thing.

-I've also had smoke coming out of my exhaust a month ago, but that problem stopped occurring once I got the power steering fixed.

-My breaks squeak sometimes, but I thought I had them fixed or changed a while ago; guess I gotta get that looked at again.

-Front door handle gets stuck sometimes when I open it, it needs to be lubed up; and I can just do that easily, but it doesn't bother me that much yet.

-The green lights that turn on, on the buttons for the AC and all that, are out, in a few places. I gotta figure out how to get that fixed.

So, currently, I'm driving the car, and I got no lights on, and no problems at all; other than the breaks squeakin'.

Moving on towards some legit Cosmetic/Modification stuff..

Modifications

-First things first, Air Suspension. My car is riding too high, and it can be lowered by at least 3-4 inches (or my wheels are too small, but that'll come later). So I'm going to check and see if it's best (cheaper) for me to drop my car, or to get the Air Suspension Controllers so my car can go from High-Norm-Low, instead of just High and Norm.

-I'm gonna get my leather seats restored at: http://www.aaaleatherdoctor.com/ <They're located in LA, and they do car seats also. I looked at some of their work, and when it comes to leather car seat restorations, they even changed the color. I'd love to get it two toned, but if I just restore the seats and leave it beige, I'll still be happy.

-Besides restoring leather seats, those guys also do dashes. If I can somehow have my dash be either restored, or have some wood to it, I think that'll be great.

-My center console has a hole in it, because I removed the phone inside. I'd like to replace that with a center console from an LS that didn't have the phone. Maybe from a junk yard (if I'm lucky), or probably best to order it.

-With that said, I got these buttons next to my steering wheel that is for the phone. I want to remove that somehow (without ruining the air bags), and I'd want to replace my steering wheel (it's fading away), with this: http://www.craftcustoms.com/pages/Make-Model_Lexus.htm <I'd love to have a Wood/Leather steering wheel. Hopefully I can find one that matches the color of my seats. If I end up getting a black one, that's when I'd want my leather seats to be two toned, so it matches.

-I'd love to be able to listen to my entire music library. So, I plan to switch the Stereo Head Unit, so it can have an Auxiliary port, so I can plug in my iPhone to it.

-But you can't listen to great music, without great speakers; and my speakers are blown out. Not the entire side, just the right side. But instead of just switching one side, I'm gonna replace them all.

-My sunroof isn't opening. I'm not sure on whats wrong with it, and it hasn't bothered me for over a year by not being able to open it; but I'd like to someday. I think a fuse might be blown. Not sure where that is, but I heard that it's super cheap to get that replaced (under $10?), and if that doesn't do it, then I guess there is something more serious, and hopefully that can be fixed at a good price.

-Badges. My steering wheel has the badge, but it's not chrome and popping out like the current ones. If i can somehow do this to my steering wheel, it'll really make it pop. But besides the inside, I want the badges on the outside of my car replaced too. Not digging the gold, so I plan to have the L emblem be chrome (both front and back), and debadge the word Lexus.

-The grill is fading, or rusty, or whatever it is. It has to look clean and Chrome. At least the badge chrome, and have it black. I don't know, I'll figure that part out later.

-Lights! I don't like my tail lights, cause it has the orange, and I don't want any orange lights. My tail lights are going to be replaced with these: http://www.luxurymods.com/redclearta...0-94ls400.aspx <But $195 is hella expensive, and I'm sure I can find them for nearly half the price. Besides that being replaced, the orange signal lights gotta go, and replace them with some clear ones. My headlights are absolute garbage. They're low, and just dirty. I have to have my High Beams on, so they can at least look somewhat decent. I've tried fixing it myself, but parts were starting to break off; so I need to have this professionally done. After I do that, I want some LEDs.

-You guys remember my cheap *** $10 "paint job"? lol. Well, instead of spray painting the bottom half of my car and have it be two toned (burgundy top, black bottom), I'm going to have my entire car painted. Don't worry, I won't be doing it. I want it to be Blue, a nice sexy blue. Personally, Blue and Beige is one of the best color combinations, and I haven't seen an LS in my year that looks like that. If having it professionally painted is out of my price range, I'm gonna do the next best thing: vinyl. Going to have my entire car vinyled.

-Exhaust tips are ok, but I want it bigger, chrome, and having a bit more umph to it. So I want those changed.

-Next are windows. I removed the front Limo tints cause I got a ticket a few months ago, but I want to retint it. I guess Limo is 20% and that was too dark, so I want them to be 30% Tint.

-Calipers gotta look good. Since my car will be Blue, I gotta have my calipers match it. Either replaced, or colored Blue. I've seen some of you guys have a sticker on them with the word Lexus, and I'd love my car to have that too.

-When I first posted this, the first thing that I wanted changed is now the LAST thing that I want. I need some nice wheels. Either 5 Spoke, 7 Spoke, or Multi Spoke. It's gotta be Black, and a Chrome lip will be great.

Well, that's all I can think of for now; and it seems to be everything that I want done to my car. If I think of anything else, I'm definitely going to add it. I know that having a body kit should be one of the things that needs to be done to my car, but I'm happy with the way it is. If anything, I might (MIGHT) get the front bumper replaced; but I highly doubt it for now.

I obviously can't do all of this at once, and I don't have the money for it yet cause I'm paying bills (which by the way, are getting easier and easier), but I will be doing this one by one, and if I can finish this entire process in 2 years or less, that would be great.

I'm hoping all of this costs under $5,000 (I hope it's doable). Also, some of things that I want to do, I might have to do it myself, and I'm not exactly the most savvy person when it comes to car stuff. If I can get some guidance on how to do some of this, better options, better prices, etc; it will all be very much appreciated!

Well, that's my super update. As you can see, my mentality changed, I'm being smarter on this, and the way I see it:

I let Lexus, Club Lexus, and the 1st Gen LS Enthusiasts down with my horrible first attempt; but I will redeem myself.
Old 10-22-11, 11:52 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

I mentioned how I don't want a body kit, but I do want the front bumper replaced.

I found this bumper, and want to know what you guys think about Fiberglass bumpers? This front bumper is:

a "POLY-FRP" flexible material that's glossy and smooth and doesn't require sanding when installed.

http://www.legendmp.com/#/item/type_...0_front_bumper

^I know that I said that I don't want to be all cheap, but I just want a better bumper with no front plates, and this does what I want it to do; for just $89. I just want to know if the material is worth it or not, since I don't have any experience or knowledge in body kits and bumpers..

Quick Reply: Incredible's Lexus Ls400 Modification Process