LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

my bad weekend changing the starter. new problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 01:59 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

making some great progress with this LS lol! your like me, can't put anything back together until all parts are up to spec lol. that's why I'm holding off a bit on mine before I crack into it - letting my "car maintanace budget" build up some more pennies. BTW, love what you did with the Celica, my Brother had an Brown 85 Supra and that thing rocked - but yours is a real monster - great job on the build!
Old 09-27-10, 03:02 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

not sure which supra you mean, prolly my 84 wit hthe 7mgte. ive got an 86 mk2 supra getting a hks tripple weber setup and my 85 mk2 supra that has a 5m with trd header and hks exhaust etc... its the beater and my dd while the ls is down for repairs.
Old 09-28-10, 06:33 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 314 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by williamb82
yeah, to get the front water pipe off, you have to pull pretty much all front timing covers and my god, wtf is up wit hthe cam gear bolts being so tight? on a 7m, its like 35lb tq. i used a 4ft pipe on my breaker bar and was afraid i was gonna knock the engine off the stand to get them loose. i got the crank pulley bolt loose in the car before i pulled the engine.

also, there is soo much black crud on the sides of the motor from the valve cover leaks its crazy. i got ALOT of cleaning to do. luckily the gf seems to want to help and can scrub the sides of the block and valve covers/intake manifolds etc... for me.
Wow, ya got a good woman there, one that doesn't mind getting dirty. But isn't that their job anyway? j/k I was gonna mention all the crud you can clean off but after seeing your Supra engine I didn't bother. You gonna get it that clean? Paint?
Old 09-28-10, 06:42 AM
williamb82
Advanced

nah, i wont paint it, wouldnt be able to see it if i did, though i did think about painting the intake manifolds flat black. prolly wont though. ill prolly just presure wash it once everything is back together and sealed up tight. dont want any water getting into the oiling system etc...
Old 10-04-10, 05:45 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, i got the passenger side head back on saturday. i did 2 passes at 29lbs before doing the 90deg. after the first pass, the 2 centers were very loose, the next 4 were a lil losse, and the outers were still at 29lbs. so anyone doing a hg, i recomend 2 pases at 29lbs. and yes i oiled the washers and threads before inserting the bolts. also got the cams in and checked the clearances. all valves are within specs.

didnt get to pull the drivers side head. all the neighbors kept stoppig me and asking what i was doing etc.... grrrr.

also, i didnt find a good heater control valve so will be posting a wtb for that. i did get all the connectors i needed and then some though at the junkyard yesterday. pulled 2 engines and both had busted motor mounts. so gonna have to wait till i can buy new motor mounts before i can put the engine back.

today i ordered the front crank seal, rear main seal, front trans seal, trans pan gasket, timing belt, and 8 exhaust o rings. gonna use 2 per joint so i know itll seall up this time. also picked up my mig from my friends house so i can fix the egr pipes. looked closer at both and both have 2 cracks. both in the same places. its wierd. the pipe shouldnt flex in those areas at all. but ever engine ive pulled theyve all been cracked in the same spots.

anyway, ill pull the drivers head sometime this week and rebuild it. it should be nice to drive the car with no leaks and new mounts when its all done.
Old 10-11-10, 05:22 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, pulled the drivers side head yesterday and rebuilt it and reinstalled it. this one went a lil faster. prolly cause i wasnt worn out from pulling the engine etc.. next is to buy a seal puller and harmonic balancer puller as this thing doesnt want to budge. ill change the crank seal and install the enw timing belt. already changed the cam seals.
Old 10-18-10, 05:51 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, got to work on it yesterday. pulled the rest of the stuff off the front. changed the front main, installed the new timing belt and reinstalled the tensioner etc.. got everything lined up perfect. got the front all back together, harness back on, spark plug covers etc.. on, water crossover pipes and intake manifold back on. still need to put the tb on, the small coolant lines, ps pump, and once the motor mounts come in, ill install those and the exhaust manifolds. next to come off is the oil pan for a good cleaning, then the flex plate so i can change the rear main seal.

also need to pull the tq convertor and change the trans front seal and repair the wires to the alt plug. got a spare plug to soldier in.
Old 10-18-10, 07:44 AM
Max Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn man, good job!
Old 10-18-10, 08:54 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, i would of been done with the motor weeks ago but i needed motor mounts and a trans mount. no point rushing to finish when i didnt have the cahs for all the parts. now i got all the parts, or they will be delivered this week. so hopefully ill have a nice quiet ls400 soon. still got to buy the cat gaskets. ones from rock auto were wrong. got to send them back. but thats something i can grab from autozone. neighbors asked me why im doing all this stuff. told them, i got the engine out, its got 175k on it, and the stuff will need to be done soon anyway, might as well do it all now while the engine is out and its easier.
Old 10-18-10, 02:46 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williamb82
well, i would of been done with the motor weeks ago but i needed motor mounts and a trans mount. no point rushing to finish when i didnt have the cahs for all the parts. now i got all the parts, or they will be delivered this week. so hopefully ill have a nice quiet ls400 soon. still got to buy the cat gaskets. ones from rock auto were wrong. got to send them back. but thats something i can grab from autozone. neighbors asked me why im doing all this stuff. told them, i got the engine out, its got 175k on it, and the stuff will need to be done soon anyway, might as well do it all now while the engine is out and its easier.
Nice to hear your progress. Some people (neighbors) don't understand doing all this work that doesn't need to be done now but like ya said, the engine is out and it's easier now. It would suck to put it in and next week a $20 part fails and ya gotta spend 2 days fixing it when now it'll only take 10 minutes. Good job so far, keep us posted.
Old 10-19-10, 05:27 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, they understand when i explain it to them and agree with me. they know i drive ~80 miles a day. most say they wish they could do stuff like that themselves. ive fixed stuff for lots of the neighbors. they dont care that the front end of my ls has been up in the air on 3 ton jack stands for almost a month now. lol. old people across the street, i fixed their washer, and assigned powerpoint to be the default viewer of powerpoint files on their pc so they can see the stuff their son sends them. no charge. guy next dorr, im fixing his zero turn mower at the moment, though he will prolly pay me for that. he has helped us too. i hate that he is moving. i like all my neighbors. most are old people as the neighborhood was built in 86 and they bought the houses new. no hoa, no deed restrictions, and i live on a 1 block long street. dead ends at both sides to go left/right only so very minimal traffic. as long as i dont get crappy neighbors next door when that house sells itll be good.
Old 10-19-10, 07:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

It's nice to have neighbors like that who ya get along with and don't mind looking at a car up on stands. Being on a quiet street like that helps also. Hopefully you get a good guy move in next to you. But hey, you're in Fla., isn't it all old people anyway? Just kidding, had to throw that in. I moved to Fla. after my divorce, for a week, but couldn't deal with the heat, (I work with insulation) had to move back to Ct. Anyway, you got an idea when the car will be back on the road?
Old 10-19-10, 10:01 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, i would say itd be back on the road this weekend. BUT, ive had plans for this weekend for over a month. soooooo, itll prolly be the following weekend. once the engine is bolted to the trans and crossmemebr etc..., the rest of the stuff really wont take that long. part of the trouble removing the engine was finding all the crap that needed to come off. lol. now i know what had to come off, i know what needs to go back on and where, so should go a bit quicker.
Old 10-28-10, 05:09 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, last night i drained the oil and pulled the lower pan. almost no crap in it. so didnt pull the upper pan. cleaned the lower out and cleaned the baffle then reinstalled them. installed the new motor mounts and exhaust manifolds as well then it was dark. still need to install the power steering pump, tb, and some small coolant lines. cant change the rear main seal till i have the engine back on the hoist to drop in. engine stand is in the way of me putting the seal back in correctly. goal is to bolt the engine back in this saturday. not sure ill have time to reconnect everything though as we have plans to go to various local haunted houses the gf wants to see and sunday is halloween, etc.. got to decorate and get the candy ready. first halloween in my new house. lol
Old 10-29-10, 05:05 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, got more done last night. put the tb on and changed all the lil coolant hoses. found a heat shield i forgot to install so had to remove the drivers side exhaust manifold to put it on. also added some grounds. added 2 4awg grounds. one from each head where the stock engine harness grounds bolt to, and they will bolt to the firewall. also bolted one to the block on the drivers side and zip tied it to the stock harness and it will bolt to the negative terminal of the battery. should make starting easier. also installed misc lil brackets i had in the box. took a lil bit to figure out where the hell they all went. i have an aluminum bent piece i have no idea where it goes. cant find a spot for it at all. lol. tonight ill change the oil filter and fill it with new oil and put the power steering pump back on. after that im done as far as i can tell till it goes back in to tomorrow morning. gonna change the front trans seal and rear main seal tomorrow before i drop it in. shouldnt take long. my slide hammer removes the seals easy. just drill a sheetrock screw through the end into the seal, then thread to the slide hammer and one pop and its out.

Quick Reply: my bad weekend changing the starter. new problems