LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air Conditioner/Timing Belt question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 10:39 AM
bornpeace
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming that the serpentine belt was reinstalled backwards, could it be now that 9,000 miles later, after the belt has "broken-in" and reseated, that everything is now as it should be? I believe that the serpentine belt is the original one, installed on the car at the factory in 1992.
If the belt is backward they will be no broken-in and reseated, what you will be doing is damaging the belt. Check this tutorial for your car http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/maint...drivebelt.html
The drive belt should last around 60,000 miles or 72 months, so if that is the original belt i will advice you to get a new one(is around $40 for OEM) again check you pulleys. Follow the tutorial, if not get a mechanic to do it for you.
Old 10-18-10, 11:31 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dean and bornpeace. I'll have a look at the tutorial link, and do some more noodling.
Old 10-26-10, 03:17 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Update

Took it to a local ex-Lexus mechanic. Took off old belt (appears to be in good condition; no cracks, etc... appears to be OEM, not sure when it was replaced). Checked free spinning pulleys; everything good. Put on new serpentine belt, turned A/C on; still making sort of labored, gearing sound. Mechanic determined that my a/c compressor was starting to go bad. It wasn't the serpentine belt, although there was a slight squealing sound that the mechanic thought was the belt slipping a little. (The squealing sound did go away with the new belt, but I didn't think the difference was that great, so decided not to replace with the new belt.) We put the old belt back on.

So, while the A/C still works fine for now, I guess it is on its way out. I didn't replace the compressor now, especially since it's the start of winter, and won't have a need for it for a good 6 months or so. But I will replace it when it dies.

Thanks again to everyone who posted the suggestions above. Your tips and posts were a great help to me. I am grateful.

Last edited by somnoboy; 10-26-10 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 03:28 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your A/C comes on to keep your windows from fogging up even in the winter. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you over the winter.
Old 10-26-10, 03:41 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Your A/C comes on to keep your windows from fogging up even in the winter. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you over the winter.
Thanks for the tip. I typically don't use the a/c at all during the winter.
Old 10-26-10, 06:03 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks for the tip. I typically don't use the a/c at all during the winter.
What JimsGX is referring to is that your A/C compressor turns on when you turn on the front defroster to help clear the fog off the inside of the windsheild. It's alot better than the unconditioned air. But, maybe it will last b/c you don't use it too much.
Old 10-27-10, 01:19 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanshark
What JimsGX is referring to is that your A/C compressor turns on when you turn on the front defroster to help clear the fog off the inside of the windsheild. It's alot better than the unconditioned air. But, maybe it will last b/c you don't use it too much.
Thanks dean. I think it's good for now. Thanks for all your help.