LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

no power, no engine codes, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 09:48 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

i am sure of what i did. the only thing im curious of, and i think i verified that im right in what i did already searching the internet today, all the articles show putting a dot on the timing gear on the crank facing down. i couldnt find anything showing if this would have the timing mark at 0 when the crank pulley is on. well i finally found a thread about changing the cams, it said make sure the crank pulley is at 0 and line the cam marks up. soooooo, im positive the belt is on right. only thing that could be off is i have the cam gears on the wrong heads. wont have time to check that till saturday. if thats the case ill be pulling it far enough apart to correct it.
Old 11-10-10, 11:23 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

I see now what you're saying, I totaly misunderstood till I read it again.
Old 11-13-10, 09:33 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, verified the cam gears are on correctly, and lined up perfect. took pics of them lined up. a lil hard to see cause of the angles the camera had to be in.

crank

passenger cam

drivers side cam

also, i unplugged the trans connector i mentioned, and left it unplugged. no change. also still no codes. even after driving it around the block. has intermittent pings, also while driving. aded gas. no change. only thing i can say is when i unplug the tps, sometimes itll idle smoother, but then wont even rev in park. plugged back in it revs fine.

also, heres a video i shot of it running and reving it a few times. hope someone can tell me wtf the problem is.

Old 11-15-10, 04:57 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, its fixed. i emailed the video to my friend dave and he said it sounded like valve train. so i pulled the valve covers and realized the exhaust cam on the drivers side was lined up wrong(i had it at top dead center for #1 and the exhaust lobes were down instead of up). theres 2 dots, and 1 dot on the cams. passenger side your supposed to align 1 dot to 1 dot, and on the drivers side, 2 dots to 2 dots. i somehow had 1 dot to 2 dots. fixed it and its running perfect now. lol. only issue im having is at cruising at lower rpm's, the car wants to start jerking. it never did this before. im guessing its the trans plug i mentioned before so im gonna try pulling the wires back out of the clip and reversing them. aside from that i have no idea what it could be.
Old 11-15-10, 05:36 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Wow, happy day for you. I never would have thought of that. Well, it's running good, off to your next problem. It's always something, huh? GL
Old 11-15-10, 06:07 AM
williamb82
Advanced

i cant believe i didnt think to check it sooner. from the very first time i started it, i have been saying "it sounds like the timing is off". i never checked the cams inside the valve covers because i knew i lined the dots up. never thought about lining up the wrong dots. lol. didnt look long enough to notice there were more then 1 set of dots on them to begin with. oh well. its a lesson ill never forget. as for the next problem. im pretty sure its those 2 wires mixed up. it never did this before and those wires pulled right out of the connector. so at least i have a good idea as to the cause.
Old 11-16-10, 04:04 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I was thinking the timing but seems like you knew what you were talking about so I did not bother plus I have never opened a 1UZ before but did open a 4AGE and you need to check the dimple on the crankshaft instead of relying on the pully timing marks.
Congratulations again!
Old 11-17-10, 05:38 AM
williamb82
Advanced

yeah, all the timing marks were lined up and i knew i lined up dots on the cams when i put those back in the heads. lol. just didnt realize there were multiple sets of dots. doh. oh well. it was my first time tearing down a 1uz. its a lesson ill never forget so wont have any issues if i ever tear into another one, which i likely will. lol. now i just need to jack the car up when its cold so i can switch the wires in that speed sensor plug. i changed the tps and maf back to the ones originally on the car(i changed them just for the hell of it factor when troubleshooting) and recalibrated the tps and it jerks alot less then before, but it is still there once in awhile. plus it seems like the trans doesnt shift back down to first when you stop at lights. when you give it gas hard from a light you can feel it downshift multiple times to go. its wierd.
Old 11-22-10, 05:41 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, i didnt swap the 2 wires on the trans plug. i did more reading on my issue and everyone that had the issue said trans kickdown cable was out of adjustment. now, i checked it and it was way too tight. i have never adjusted it. i adjusted it correctly, and the car now shifts like it should, and the engine light went off(was saying rich). i guess my crap gas mileage might have been due to too much load on the trans. the car feels alot more powerful now that the trans doesnt shift to overdrive by 20mph. lol. toward the very end of my 1hr morning drive to work it felt like it shuddered a lil, but nothing like it had done before.

also, while i was reading, i noticed people complaining of the car jerking hard when shifting to drive from park. my car has always done this and i figured it was normal, but looks like its not. someone said its a piece in the trans that the cable hooks too and lexus fixed it for ~$100. does any one know what the part number of the piece is? or is there just an adjustment that needs made? anyone have pics? my friend has a trans that he cant get rid of that should have the part i need, just want to know what im looking for before i tear into the trans.
Old 12-06-10, 06:20 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, changed the 2 front o2 sensors sat morning. it seems to run better and the shifting is better and whatnot, but the engine light came on again and is still on. so gonna check the engine code on my lunch break. i bought four 4wire o2 sensors, not realizing the rear 2 are 2 wires. so didnt change the rear 2. hopefully they dont play a role in the gas mileage. im tired of this 15mpg bs on the interstate.