LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cam seal or valve cover leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 07:30 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

is the bolt on the upper portion or lower portion of the head, if its the lower u r in deep trouble
Old 01-14-11, 10:35 AM
jeriah77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upper portion of the front head. After 150 miles, it has not been leaked yet.....
please please don't leak...
Old 01-14-11, 06:49 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

that plug just popped out of ours one day! it drove me crazy finally i realized that plug was missin
Old 01-15-11, 06:32 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by willhickey
that plug just popped out of ours one day! it drove me crazy finally i realized that plug was missin
was it leaking oil badly?
Old 01-15-11, 08:44 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jeriah77
Upper portion of the front head. After 150 miles, it has not been leaked yet.....
please please don't leak...
I thought I read where you said it was leaking in the back b/c of this bolt. Sorry, my mistake. But if you can see it I would still say try and get it off with an easy-out. Eventually you will have problems with it. With that section of the valve cover not correctly torqued, although oil is not leaking out, dirt or water can seep in causing bigger and more serious problems then just a broken bolt. It's worth a shot if ya have 15 minutes to spare. Your choice, good luck with it.
Old 01-15-11, 10:31 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

nah it just smoked like crazy haha i eventually put my hand on the back side of the valve cover and could feel my finger touching the cam.......... that when i realized that plug was gone. i took one off our 95 sc400 parts car and just popped it in..
Old 01-15-11, 10:31 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

hasnt smoked since
Old 01-15-11, 10:41 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

It is the half-moon that needed to be replaced when yall are doing the valve cover gaskets. It doesn't come with the kit. For $75 that's a steal. I did the job on the 90 before i sold it last year and didn't replace the half moon and it was still leaking from it. I would send your car to the guy to get it done for $75 python hahah.

I called my local lexus dealer after i finished the gasket job to find that they were going to charge me 1000+ parts and labor. "9 hours job" I did it for the first time in 4 hours. Carefully making sure everything was there.
Old 01-15-11, 01:49 PM
jeriah77
Driver School Candidate

@deanshark- you're right. The bolt is broken off and don't have the properly equipment and skills to take the stud out of the head and replace with a new one. Any suggestion?
Old 01-15-11, 07:51 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jeriah77
@deanshark- you're right. The bolt is broken off and don't have the properly equipment and skills to take the stud out of the head and replace with a new one. Any suggestion?
There is a tool kit called an "easy out". You can pick one up at Harbor Freight for about $10 if ya have one near you, or any hardware store. All ya do is drill a small hole in the center of the bolt, use the same size easy out and drill backwards and it should thread right out b/c they are not in there tight. Ya learn by experience. Then the next time you snap a bolt, and you will, it'll be even easier. Hope that helps you out.
Old 01-16-11, 06:45 AM
python
Lexus Champion

i wouldnt attempt it if u havent done it before...let a shop mess it up and be resonsible for it. if the drill gets into the threads ur using a heli-coil setup.
Old 01-16-11, 09:29 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

in my eperience with my valve cover bolts , whenever they broke it was under the valve cover gasket but not in the block so i could always just take the valve cover back off although a pita i didnt need anything but some pliars to get the broken bolt out
Old 01-16-11, 03:58 PM
jeriah77
Driver School Candidate

@Willhickey- The bolt can't be reached at all even though if the valve cover has been removed!
Old 01-16-11, 05:02 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by python
i wouldnt attempt it if u havent done it before...let a shop mess it up and be resonsible for it. if the drill gets into the threads ur using a heli-coil setup.
Wouldn't attempt it? It's only using a 1/8 inch drill bit on a simple drill in the center of a bolt, ya aint gonna drill the threads. (unless ya don't know how to hold a drill) Ya don't have to drill 6 inches deep, maybe 1/32 to 1/16 inch. It's not rocket science. It's so easy, that's why the tool is called an "easy out". But, if you don't want to do it, a shop would probably charge you almost $100.
Old 01-16-11, 06:18 PM
python
Lexus Champion

its called an easy out...not easy drill, ive seen hacks who havent ever attempted these things make the situation worse by thinking along those same lines. what happens if he breaks the drill off in the bolt? then what? if the center punch doesnt make a good mark and the drill wanders off into the threads then what? u do realize that if the bolt is jagged and recessed into the head then it becomes difficult. i have spent many years in the field and have seen first hand what can happen because someone who isnt experienced has attempted an "easy" job. just because u might have skills enough to do this doesnt mean others do. high speed drill,carbide bit in a noobs hand with an aluminum head=disaster...dont doubt it
anyways im not having a discussion about this with u im trying to give sound advice to a member who obviously needs help making a decision and me giving him that advice so he doesnt screw something up or make things worse is what i believe to be more important than trying to convince u of what should be done...thx dean

Last edited by python; 01-16-11 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Cam seal or valve cover leaking?