LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 Ls400 with a supercharged 350 chevy

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 07:17 PM
Raddison
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man...

The way I see it, most of us on here are "purists", I would say I lean that way too. (I'm sorry if anyone is offended by me thinking that they are "purists", :P)

If you want to do something completely out there and make some crazy torque monster that has the appearance of an ls400, and you have the funding, knowledge, time, and money, go for it!

I love seeing crazy ideas come in to fruition in the car world, and this could be one of them.
Old 01-08-11, 07:51 PM
Ls400wt350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by willhickey
electricalnightmare...... whos wiring it? why not tt the 1uz? way more power and with a 6 yes a 6 bolt main its stronger............ and no wiring issues... and decent gas mileage that 350 ill take it and put it in my s10 dd haha
hahaha ha you are a funny one!!!!!!!!!!!! i bet you have pritty lil soft hands that stay clean to!!!!!!!!!! im not sure what u do for a living but im a certified painter, i weild, wire boats paint auto and marine, rebuild 2 stroke mercury outboards that run 103 on a 18 ft laser ltv, i do most of my work with the help of a good man named max. its carb. not that hard to wire and im only 26 lol i love it when people ask about gas mileage its a supercharger 350 not a honda how much would you spend for that 1uZ and how much for parts to make 500hp? i bet more than 2k any yes it will have ac

Last edited by Ls400wt350; 01-08-11 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 08:48 PM
adrock265
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

sooooo wheres some pics? all this work and not one pic?
Old 01-08-11, 09:37 PM
Ls400wt350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by adrock265
sooooo wheres some pics? all this work and not one pic?
i put a couple more on i will add more tomarrow
Old 01-09-11, 01:08 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls400wt350
hahaha ha you are a funny one!!!!!!!!!!!! i bet you have pritty lil soft hands that stay clean to!!!!!!!!!! im not sure what u do for a living but im a certified painter, i weild, wire boats paint auto and marine, rebuild 2 stroke mercury outboards that run 103 on a 18 ft laser ltv, i do most of my work with the help of a good man named max. its carb. not that hard to wire and im only 26 lol i love it when people ask about gas mileage its a supercharger 350 not a honda how much would you spend for that 1uZ and how much for parts to make 500hp? i bet more than 2k any yes it will have ac
just a reminder to please keep your comments from getting personal, thanks.

you said you were planning on a 5spd, which trans were you thinking of using? T56 or? interesting choice, most drag cars run modded TH400s.
Old 01-09-11, 09:01 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purist argument, obviously your taking a LS400 and turning it into a Camaro, why would you do that? The factory 1UZ makes decent power, and with some fab work, you can easily push 300hp, for pretty cheap I might add. If you want displacement, you could easily build a Tundra block with LS400 heads and get the best of both worlds, and it looks 100% factory. 2JZGTE is also a nice look in there as well...

Devil advocate, I mean inn reality, it's your car and to be honest, being a 91' it's not like it's a 01', it obviously got miles on it, and it will never be worth the overall value again. If you can fab up some engine mounts, why not?

I do, being a semi-purist, would have some questions/concerns for you, and these are only the basics, the rest will come if the build continues.
1. Motor mounts, you'll obviously have to create your own, but pretty easy.
2. Tranny mount/cross-member, I doubt your going to keep the A341E, your going to have to adapt a TH350/400/700R4/4L60/E/etc... Again, not difficult, pretty straight forward.
3. Driveshaft, which most domestics use a slip-on splined output shaft, out Lexus uses a bolt on, Obviously take a domestic driveshaft, cut it to length, and add the Lexus differential flange on the other end, you'll likely have to have the shaft rebalanced.
4. Size, the 350 is by no means, a compact design, especially compared to the DOHC motor your going to replace. The engine bay, with the motor in, is definitely tight, and as far as exhaust your typical corvette/truck manifold/header will not work as the frame rail is pretty tight. I am sure you'll be able to find something, but it wasn't setup like a Camaro/Corvette, so your typically supercharger and long-tube headers (old hotrod combo) isn't going to just slide right in because you'll likely be fighting with the motor mounts/frame rails/steering shaft. Are you going to be using EFI or Carb? If it's the later, your going to definitely have issues as your carb will likely going to be sitting right underneath the hood, if you match engine mounts. On top of that, your going to be using a B&M, so your going to be stick way out of the hood, i.e., there goes your sleeper look. Not that an LS400 wouldn't look cool with a huge blower stick out of the hood, but I just see the connection. It's like have a Geo Metro on 44" tires and 1-ton axles, it's a funny idea, but in reality, what's the purpose, was the money well spent, and who is going to want it afterwards? Not to mention an iron 350 is easily 300lbs heavier than the all aluminum 1UZ, not to mention the blower, etc. Your likely going to have to run a bigger radiator as well, which will probably make some fitting issues for an accessory setup.

Now, for all the other comments...
The 1UZ ECU is an easy swap, but anyone looking to make real power, a standalone is pretty much the only option to make "real" power. An even easier swap would be a 350 carb, however all of the mounting and adapting is going to kill you. Most carbed 350 swaps, are almost virtually wireless, EFI takes a little work, but can easily be done.
What's wrong with Honda, they can make 500hp, but they don't weigh 4,000lbs, and need to have 454/TH400 sending them down the track. I have a friend with a 93' Civic Hatch w/ all stock H22 5-speed and he runs 12's all day, which is more than I can say for our cars
A Ford 9" to a Hot Rodder, is the same thing as God is to a Sunday school kid, it's always the answer to MOST problems, right? Well G O O D L U C K with that, because your going to need it.. Supra boys have been throwing lots of power at these diffs for years, but as far as putting it down through an open diff, HA good luck. Hopefully you have that LSD mod, which over years of operation turns our open diff into an LSD...
PD: I'm not sure if you were trying to bust his *****, but the T56 is a 6-speed.

With that being said, you can do it, I'm not going to sit here and say you can't. It's going to be a lot of work, time, money, and resources. I am in for a good build and pictures... But judging by the amount of research you've done already, I don't think it's going to turn out pretty. A general rule of thumb is if you have to ask, it's probably not for you. With that being said, good luck.
Old 01-09-11, 01:26 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to see pictures.
Old 01-09-11, 02:24 PM
Raddison
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
and with some fab work, you can easily push 300hp, for pretty cheap I might add.
Not to break away from topic, but, do tell!
Old 01-09-11, 05:01 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

not how i would go at it but let's see some work. as much as i hear "shoulda done an ls" i'm kind of surprised at the general attitude.
Old 01-10-11, 12:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Guys I've removed a few posts that were inappropriate.

You don't have to like or support what the OP is doing, but if you choose to post a negative opinion, do so in a mature and constructive manner only. If you can't do that, do not push the 'post reply' button.

Originally Posted by Ls400wt350
hahaha ha you are a funny one!!!!!!!!!!!! i bet you have pritty lil soft hands that stay clean to!!!!!!!!!! im
OP, that goes for you too. Keep it polite or your thread will be closed or removed.
Old 01-10-11, 08:49 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

< awaits for pictures of this soon-to-be abortion... >
Old 01-10-11, 09:45 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is got to be a troll
Old 01-11-11, 05:18 AM
SRV1
Driver

Originally Posted by sam12345
Hey if he can make it work, so be it. My opinion is it is kind of redkneck-ish but we have to give him a benefit of the doubt. Maybe it will come out ok. If I were to put a Chevy engine in my Lexus, it would be a LS series engine and not the old generation small block. The UZ motors can make some good horsepower but power for dollar you are not going to beat a small block Chevy.

Personally I would bolt on a Vortech supercharger and run a stand alone system on the 1UZ just to keep it Toyota but that is just me.

James
Old 01-11-11, 06:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
< awaits for pictures of this soon-to-be abortion... >
Originally Posted by sam12345
Both you guys please exit this thread from this point forward.

I'm going to ask one more time before I start suspending members who ignore the request... be mature and constructive if you post in this thread.
Old 01-11-11, 06:57 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

like what SRV1 said, the money needed to mod the 1uz is heavy. putting a SBC would be a first and out of the box. i would have also put a lsx motor also but those are a little more.

Quick Reply: 91 Ls400 with a supercharged 350 chevy