LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Dilemma on lowering (I searched!LOL)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 01:21 PM
SRV1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dilemma on lowering (I searched!LOL)

Ok I have a dilemma, I want to lower the car about 1.5 inches just enough to get rid of the 4x4 look. Now the car just turned 100k with the original struts. I have no issues with the struts, they are not leaking and they are not bad, worn but not bad, it does not bottom out at all either. Well I have been searching on here about springs and coilovers and I narrowed it down to just springs or a whole coilover set. I figured with a 100k might as well replace them so that is why I'm leaning towards the coilovers. I was thinking of the Megan EZ kit since it is within my spending range and I read it will give a nice ride but not as nice as it is stock in which I'm trying to achieve close as possible. Would a set of Eibach Sportline springs with stock struts ride about the same or better than the Megan kit? I know the pro's and con's of each just looking for the best ride quality of the two.

Thanks, James
Old 01-11-11, 04:09 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

you are comparing 2 very different spring rates and asking about ride quality.

both should have acceptable suspension travel and both should have damping decently matched to the spring rate but both will have very different ride qualities as far as firmness.
Old 01-12-11, 03:21 PM
SRV1
Driver

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
you are comparing 2 very different spring rates and asking about ride quality.

both should have acceptable suspension travel and both should have damping decently matched to the spring rate but both will have very different ride qualities as far as firmness.
This is what I'm trying to find out. I assumed the coilovers would be a little harsher but how harsh? Is it definitely noticeable?

James
Old 01-12-11, 03:39 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

tolerances vary too much to say. i prefer stiff coilovers, some can't even stand soft lowering springs. you need to figure it out for yourself.
Old 01-12-11, 06:32 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lowering springs on just about any of the stock shocks will pretty much wear them out faster since they are not geared for the drop. Essentially you pretty much will blow them in an efort to maintain the stock ride.
Eibach springs (if you can still get them) will offer a harsher ride than stock, but not too much. You will still have to change the shocks tho b/c they eventually will blow. Since you have Bilsteins available for your car, that may work and really since you ARE there and going thru the trouble to compress the springs you may as well change the shocks as well.

The coilovers are a good match, and many have had success with them, once they are tuned in properly. With them you have MANY dampening choices as well as choices for lowering, etc. so you will have to play around with them for a bit until you get them to a point where you are happy with the ride quality. It is very achievable to get close to stock with the coilovers as well.
Old 01-13-11, 02:40 PM
SRV1
Driver

Originally Posted by trukn1
Lowering springs on just about any of the stock shocks will pretty much wear them out faster since they are not geared for the drop. Essentially you pretty much will blow them in an efort to maintain the stock ride.
Eibach springs (if you can still get them) will offer a harsher ride than stock, but not too much. You will still have to change the shocks tho b/c they eventually will blow. Since you have Bilsteins available for your car, that may work and really since you ARE there and going thru the trouble to compress the springs you may as well change the shocks as well.

The coilovers are a good match, and many have had success with them, once they are tuned in properly. With them you have MANY dampening choices as well as choices for lowering, etc. so you will have to play around with them for a bit until you get them to a point where you are happy with the ride quality. It is very achievable to get close to stock with the coilovers as well.
I just want a soft ride like it is now, stock. I do not know if lowering springs and new struts would be a better ride than coilovers. This is the gray area I'm having trouble with. I do not want a sports car ride I want it to ride as close to stock as possible. I have been reading and I get the same answers on both that they are stiff and they are too soft and I cannot get a straight answer. I just want to get rid of the 4x4 look. I'm not into the really wide wheels tucked in the wheel well and rolling the lips, just not my thing. I guess I should make a poll or can we do that here?

James
Old 01-13-11, 03:44 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest you go with something like megan coilovers. It has 32 ways of dampening adjustment and you can adjust the height to pretty much anything you want. It's difficult to find something you are describing without sacrificing a little bit of comfort. The extra stiffness provided by the shocks when you lower a vehicle is necessary to prevent the car from bottoming out Because you are looking for a near oem ride quality + a drop I would go with adjustability! (Plus the seats in the LS are so comfy you probably wont even notice a little extra stiffness )
Old 01-13-11, 10:26 PM
Raddison
Pole Position

dump it, dump it, dump it, dump it!

scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape!

sorry sorry, just my subconscious talking about my own dreams, ha
Old 01-14-11, 03:16 AM
ACLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After going down the same route as you I have decided to fit coilovers to mine as you can play with the spring rate, damping and height until you get it exactly as you want it

I previously had an E Class Merc with AMG suspension so I would like to get the ride similar

Andy
Old 01-14-11, 08:05 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

One thing to maybe reconsider is that your original springs + struts, at 100k miles, are probably still perfectly fine.

I recently replaced all 4 struts on my '91 at 170k, and I probably replaced a lot more than I needed to (while I'm in there ...). The rear struts probably needed it, but the rest was in pretty good shape.
Old 01-14-11, 12:47 PM
SRV1
Driver

Originally Posted by oldskewel
One thing to maybe reconsider is that your original springs + struts, at 100k miles, are probably still perfectly fine.

I recently replaced all 4 struts on my '91 at 170k, and I probably replaced a lot more than I needed to (while I'm in there ...). The rear struts probably needed it, but the rest was in pretty good shape.
The struts are still decent but running lowering springs on stock struts usually damages them. I just don't want to make an expensive mistake by buying a set of coilovers and to find out the lowest settings are still too stiff.

James
Old 01-14-11, 03:33 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to sacrifice just a little going with Megan's. As I mention alot, they passed the wife test at half stiffness. You won't regret it.
Old 01-14-11, 09:30 PM
SRV1
Driver

Originally Posted by Schnitz
You have to sacrifice just a little going with Megan's. As I mention alot, they passed the wife test at half stiffness. You won't regret it.
The LP's or the EZ's?
Old 01-14-11, 10:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

schnitz is on the LPs
Old 01-15-11, 07:46 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the megans

Quick Reply: Dilemma on lowering (I searched!LOL)