LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The dreaded starter click

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 06:31 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieA
It's single clicks. Turn to acc......wait for about 5 seconds, turn to start, hear one single "click". Curse. Turn key back off. Turn ahead to acc, wait, turn to start hear one click. Curse more. Keep repeating until it catches. This time it whirled on fourth or fifth try.

This morning it was 2 ceclius, 36 farenheit started no problem.
Yeah, its the starter...sorry.

On the brighter side, you could probably put up with this until the weather gets a little warmer before working on her.

Last edited by randal; 01-19-11 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 08:09 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning it was -2 celcius

1st try got 1 click

2nd try got a whirl then a quick stumble & no start

3rd try whirled over & started fine.

Likley be a week+ before we'll receive and have a chance to install the plunger and solonoid contacts. Hopefully she'll get me to work until then.

And the garage has a furnace

She'll really be getting some TLC on that day:

OEM plugs wires caps rotors air filter
exhaust gaskets
TB cleaning
starter plunger & solonoid contacts
Seafoam
trans flush
oil change
coolant flush
4KYB GR2 shocks & rear OEM springs
possibly 147A alternator, Optima red top 800cca battery & new ground cables

Last edited by StevieA; 01-20-11 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-20-11, 08:28 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

While you're in there you should check the knock sensors to make sure they are in spec. Idk what they are supposed to be at off hand. At least you got some heat. Wish I did, gotta finish my t-belt in the teens. Brrrr
Old 01-20-11, 11:22 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanshark
While you're in there you should check the knock sensors to make sure they are in spec. Idk what they are supposed to be at off hand. At least you got some heat. Wish I did, gotta finish my t-belt in the teens. Brrrr
Thanks for the tip! I'll source some repair manuals from LexLS's link to TIS system for guidance. BTW doing the timing belt in those conditions would be torture
Old 01-25-11, 05:11 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanshark
Has it done this in the past? It could be just a cold battery. If it does it again when it's that cold, try turning your headlights on for about 5 minutes, that warms the battery and it will start easier. The 1st time someone told me that I thought they were nuts, but it works.
Still haven't fixed the starter but last two mornings were -20 and -16 celcius and she started right up first try. All I did different was left all my typical electrical draws ON for about 10 seconds before trying to start her (1,000 watt rms stereo, heater on high, seat heater on etc.). Go figure

I'm thinking it's simply "warming up" the wires throughout the system from the draw therefore when I ask for a draw to the starter more current flows and overcomes the "gap" in the solonoid contacts in the starter.

Last edited by StevieA; 01-25-11 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 09:00 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieA
Still haven't fixed the starter but last two mornings were -20 and -16 celcius and she started right up first try. All I did different was left all my typical electrical draws ON for about 10 seconds before trying to start her (1,000 watt rms stereo, heater on high, seat heater on etc.). Go figure

I'm thinking it's simply "warming up" the wires throughout the system from the draw therefore when I ask for a draw to the starter more current flows and overcomes the "gap" in the solonoid contacts in the starter.
"Warm" wires actually have more resistance than a cold wire (barely detectable but there). The theory is that current flow "warms" the battery, resulting in more output.

Wishful thinking but no, its still the starter contacts. You may be able to go quite a long time w/o needing to actually change the starter because of the intermittent nature. Depends upon whether you are willing to chance being "stranded" somewhere away from home when the contacts finally give up the ghost.
Old 01-25-11, 01:19 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by randal
"Warm" wires actually have more resistance than a cold wire (barely detectable but there). The theory is that current flow "warms" the battery, resulting in more output.

Wishful thinking but no, its still the starter contacts. You may be able to go quite a long time w/o needing to actually change the starter because of the intermittent nature. Depends upon whether you are willing to chance being "stranded" somewhere away from home when the contacts finally give up the ghost.
I'm still waiting for the starter parts to arrive from Ebay. Fixing this is still top priority
Old 01-26-11, 06:26 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Sourcing an Optima Yellow Top SC31DA, 900 CCA's, 150min reserve capacity @ 25amps. 60lbs. Biggest mother they've got.

I am a bit of a Tim the Tool Man.....

My current battery rated at 600cca's has bit of difficulty starting and lights dim with bass etc.
Old 02-16-11, 05:38 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Default Update

It's been about 4 mths since these symptoms began. I haven't yet done anything (no starter work, same battery etc etc) but I can make the car start No PROBLEM every time just by turning on headlights fan stereo etc before turning the key even at -20 C temperatures

What I'm learning is that my 600cca tired battery and deteriorated "big three" ground points are not up to snuff (along with suspected worn starter solonoid contacts).

Just for future reference for others that may have these symptoms........

When the weather gets better and I have some vacation time I'll install the new battery & upgrade my grounds and maybe install the new starter plunger & contacts & 147amp alternator.
Old 02-16-11, 06:40 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Good to hear that you're getting it to start. I know what ya mean about waiting for better weather, (it's cold) as long as you get it done asap. Just remember you can't put it off forever b/c one of these times it just might not start. And it'll probably "break down" in the worst spot. (We've all been there)
Old 06-10-11, 11:08 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Default Update

Replaced the starter solonoid contacts & plunger. Finished the job today. Took my Uncle and I about 9 hours to do it. Cost me $289 total for starter kit, gaskets and $100 for my Uncle's labour. Removed a mouse nest from under the intake as part of the job - LOL

The driver's side solonoid contact was heavily worn. The smaller passenger's side not so bad. Also installed 147amp alternator as my old used 100amp was failing.

So I went 4,400kms and 5 months from the first starter click symptom until I finally broke down and replaced the contacts.
Old 06-10-11, 01:10 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Good job. And $100 for labor for a helper is a damn good price to pay for 9 hours. I'm surprised it lasted 5 months and ya didn't "break down" on the road somewhere. At least ya had some better weather now.
Old 06-14-11, 12:40 PM
dtewing
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

My 1999 LS had the same "issues" and I was able to go a LONG LONG LONG time before I had to swap the starter out. Literally it would "occasionally" click once a week or so, and then start. Rarely, two times then start and even more rare 3 tries.

I was able to let this go for like 1 year plus. Finally I took it to my neighbor who is a retired firefighter and was a mechanic for a decade as well and it took him 8 hours as the starter is in the Valley of the engine block. He only charged me $250 and I bought a reman starter for like $200 +/- .

Gotta love good neighbors and good cars - my old chevy trucks the starter would just die. No warning, nothing - DEAD.

Not TOYO/LEXUS baby !!!