LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Heavy smoke on start up

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 01:24 PM
ae80siq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy smoke on start up

Plugged my ACV valve the other day because I thought that why my car was pouring foul smelling white smoke from the exhaust on cold starts. Even after it warms up there's a small amount of consistent smoking but that might be cause by the cold temperature.
But yeah, it's still doing it I don't know if it's leftover fluid in the intake manifold or if there's something else burning. It definitely doesn't smell like burning coolant though.
Is there any other known common problem?

Last edited by ae80siq; 02-09-11 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-09-11, 02:51 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Might be mine does that some once and awhile. How long it id take you to plug the valve? Was it difficult for you? Thinking on that too. If it left over it may burn off or try some fuel cleaner like seafoam for 44k.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-09-11, 09:57 PM
ae80siq
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Might be mine does that some once and awhile. How long it id take you to plug the valve? Was it difficult for you? Thinking on that too. If it left over it may burn off or try some fuel cleaner like seafoam for 44k.

Just my two cents.
It took two days because I Jerry rigged the valve with some JB Weld and I had to let it dry overnight. I imagine it would only take about 2 hours to plug, flush and bleed if you had access to a welder or other means of sealing off the valve.
The only problem I ran into was getting the hose off the resovoir during the flushing process. But yeah just follow the tutorials and you'll be golden
Old 02-10-11, 06:39 AM
zukikat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was gulping down Power Steering Fluid when I bought it about 1.5 weeks ago with a reman'd pump installed by the used car lot before I bought it and it was still losing fluid really fast even with a new pump and no obvious signs of leaks or puddles.
The rack input seal was seeping but nowhere near enough to explain the fluid loss and all the steering fluid lines/hoses were fine.

The car was also smoking significantly out the tailpipes for several minutes on cold start but seemed to run fine and eventually seemed to pretty much quit smoking at idle and drove well overall the two times I test drove it.
We initially figured leaky valve stem seals although it seemed to smoke longer than I'm used to seeing bad valve stem seals do on my 7M and 2JZ I6 Supra engines but it did seem to quit smoking after a few minutes of idling and has very good compression and leakdown numbers so I figured "how bad can it be" and bought the car anyway...

Turns out the little idle-up vacuum thingy that screws into the power steering pump with the 2 vacuum lines connected to it (which was not included with reman'd pump so the used car lot reused original one off the old pump) was leaking internally and basically sucking/pumping power steering fluid directly into the vacuum system and into the throttle body and the engine was actually burning it, hence the smoke and rapid loss of steering fluid!!!
After replacing the mildly leaky steering rack input shaft seal and still losing a LOT of fluid with no puddles to be found and no boots leaking or swelling up we noticed the vacuum connections seemed wet and fluid came gushing out when we disconnected one of the two vacuum lines, DOH!

I still get a slight smoke for a few moments on cold startup but I'll be suprised if that's not just leaky valve stem seals which doesn't actually hurt anything and doesn't consume much oil at all, at least not on my Supras it doesn't...

Ironically, the used replacement vacuum valve we put on the LS's steering pump came off an old Supra and seems to work just fine so far.
Old 02-10-11, 06:51 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ae80siq
It took two days because I Jerry rigged the valve with some JB Weld and I had to let it dry overnight. I imagine it would only take about 2 hours to plug, flush and bleed if you had access to a welder or other means of sealing off the valve.
The only problem I ran into was getting the hose off the resovoir during the flushing process. But yeah just follow the tutorials and you'll be golden
Thanks for your info. yeah, i had to cut off that hose it was hard and it cracked after many tries to remove it. Got a replacement hose cheap. I think i will just replace the valve later instead of plugging it.
Old 02-14-11, 07:23 AM
ae80siq
Driver School Candidate

Just lost all my fluid haha the JB Weld blew right out of the valve. Took it to a machine shop and just had them weld it shut
Old 02-22-11, 11:05 AM
zukikat
Rookie

Talk about a permanent solution to a temporary problem...
Old 02-22-11, 06:24 PM
ae80siq
Driver School Candidate

Noticed my intake manifold was hella nasty. Most likely from the ACV leaking
Cleaned it up and smoke is gone
Old 02-22-11, 06:51 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default ?

Originally Posted by ae80siq
Noticed my intake manifold was hella nasty. Most likely from the ACV leaking
Cleaned it up and smoke is gone
That's the part with the Lexus symbol on it where the throttle body connect to, If yea how you cleaned it? Mine need it ASAP!!!
Old 02-23-11, 07:25 AM
ae80siq
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dtwillis5
That's the part with the Lexus symbol on it where the throttle body connect to, If yea how you cleaned it? Mine need it ASAP!!!
I used Amsoil stuff that's just like Sea Foam.
but if you haven't done anything about the ACV valve there's no point in cleaning it, it'll just get dirty again
Old 05-19-11, 02:15 PM
MikiVes
Driver School Candidate

Default ACV leaking - starts smoking

Hallo, I have Lexus LS 400, 91 y, after the engine starts smoking and I know that this is an error in the servo, but I do not know how to fix and what to look where he pulls the oil into the engine. Please help someone, it would be good photo or a plan where the leading hoses, sensors, etc. Thanks
Old 05-19-11, 04:30 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@MikiVes, welcome to the club. I was in Praha about 5 years ago, it's a very beautiful city.

Anyway, this should help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ystem-diy.html

Scroll down a little ways to the section starting with "Removal of ACV valve, and Plugging such valve with the ACV itself."

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.
Old 05-19-11, 10:17 PM
MikiVes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AzHotLS
@MikiVes, welcome to the club. I was in Praha about 5 years ago, it's a very beautiful city.

Anyway, this should help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ystem-diy.html

Scroll down a little ways to the section starting with "Removal of ACV valve, and Plugging such valve with the ACV itself."

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.
Dear AzHotLS, I am pleased that you know my city, I live in a city of Prague .... thank you for your advice and I'll do it
Old 05-21-11, 01:46 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think they allow vehicles near the Clock Tower but it would be an awesome photo with your car in front of it.
Old 11-11-12, 08:02 AM
cwbailey
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone. Have the same problem and will attempt to fix it this weelkend. Thanks for the help.