LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tune up gone bad!! HELP REALLY NEEDED BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 10:53 PM
BunthaKev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use brake Cleaner to clean everything. Its flamible and fast drying. It will hurt plastic though so be careful.
Old 03-01-11, 02:01 PM
tonyfazt
Rookie

or maybe the wires and spark plugs u bought are not functioning the way their suppsosed to say no to duralast
Old 03-01-11, 06:52 PM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar experiance not to long ago when I changed my spark plugs, only I had sprayed some throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and I had thought I had cleaned up everything. A few days later I was having problems with the car stuttering and wouldn't accelerate. I also got the misfire code. When I took everything off, I noticed that some residue had flowed out of the throttle body and had fallen over the spark plugs. When I removed the spark plugs, two of them had liquid. It was the cleaner. What I did was cleaned and dryed off the spark plugs and wires, then got a long extention and taped a paper towel sheet around one end (made a giant q-tip) and just cleaned up all the cyliders as far as I could go. After that I reinstalled everything, fired it up and its been running perfect. One last tip: don't forget to plug your maf senser when your done.
Old 03-02-11, 12:56 PM
jpaulmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexfrmtx
I had a similar experiance not to long ago when I changed my spark plugs, only I had sprayed some throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and I had thought I had cleaned up everything. A few days later I was having problems with the car stuttering and wouldn't accelerate. I also got the misfire code. When I took everything off, I noticed that some residue had flowed out of the throttle body and had fallen over the spark plugs. When I removed the spark plugs, two of them had liquid. It was the cleaner. What I did was cleaned and dryed off the spark plugs and wires, then got a long extention and taped a paper towel sheet around one end (made a giant q-tip) and just cleaned up all the cyliders as far as I could go. After that I reinstalled everything, fired it up and its been running perfect. One last tip: don't forget to plug your maf senser when your done.
Thanks for the info. what is maf sensor and where are they located?
Thanks again man.
Old 03-02-11, 01:54 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jpaulmac
Thanks for the info. what is maf sensor and where are they located?
Thanks again man.
Mass Air Flow Sensor

It's an electrical unit the size of your hand on top of the air intake hose right after the air cleaner the plug connects facing the radiator it's in plain sight.
Old 03-02-11, 02:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just to save confusion, 1st gens didnt have a MAF, they had an AFM (air flow meter), same basic function, works on different principles.
Old 03-03-11, 04:23 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the MAF vs. AFM, but in reality, we all understand what your talking about.

Degreaser shouldn't really create any problems, only dilute the oil slightly, but your likely going to have oil flowing to wash the degreaser away. If you have any worries, changed the oil and filter.

I didn't read every single word, but try putting the old plugs and wires back in.
Old 03-07-11, 07:00 AM
jpaulmac
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the info guys. I got it all figured out. I re-did everything and tested all the plugs and wires with a tester and sure enough two of the plug wires that i bought does not read any resistance at all it is open in other words. so i returned the plug wires and replaced it with a different one and my UNICORN is back! I thought i was gonna lose her for a minute there!
Old 03-14-11, 06:25 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jpaulmac
Thanks for all the info guys. I got it all figured out. I re-did everything and tested all the plugs and wires with a tester and sure enough two of the plug wires that i bought does not read any resistance at all it is open in other words. so i returned the plug wires and replaced it with a different one and my UNICORN is back! I thought i was gonna lose her for a minute there!
What brand of wires did you buy?
Old 03-15-11, 05:49 PM
95lexsc300
Rookie

To get the degreaser out just crank the motor with the plugs out and remove the fuel injection fuse and anything inside the combusting chamber will eject. On the rough idling; check the gap and on some plugs theres a additional head piece to fit diffrent plug wire.
Old 03-21-11, 05:22 AM
jpaulmac
Driver School Candidate

I found the problem guys! Its not the degreser that caused the rough idling, it was the distributor rotor. Replaced them both cause one of them was literally falling apart. After replacing them, my unicorn is back. You just really have to trouble shoot every part of the ignition. Hooe this will help everyone who will have similar problems.
Old 03-21-11, 06:55 PM
kuziwk
Driver

hmm just out of curiosity, did you have to drain the rad, remove fan and what not to get to the rotors or am i the only weird one here?
Old 03-28-11, 01:52 PM
jpaulmac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kuziwk
hmm just out of curiosity, did you have to drain the rad, remove fan and what not to get to the rotors or am i the only weird one here?
No. You dont have to drain the coolant but you have to remove the drive belt to be able to get to the distributors.