LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air suspension...........

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-02, 10:17 PM
daven3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Issues

Just replaced my right rear air strut in my 93 with 140k. It sagged to the floor overnight; no idiot lights, no warning..just began to drop over extended periods of sitting. $450 for part (which they had to order; only took two days) and $200 in labor.
They did a great job and was pleased that was all that was wrong with her!
Dayton, Ohio
Old 10-31-02, 12:19 PM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Update, on my A/S, now that it's gotten colder (not sure if it is related) seems that a sag at the rear will develop now and then, after sitting. It's not consistent, sometimes the car sits fine all night and day, then, once in a while, it will drop the rear only after sitting. Ride is fine, great feel, pumps up just fine when running. I will next check all the air fittings/ connections for leaks, or maybe read the serv man on a way to check.

Question, if a air strut is bad, would both sides on the rear go down at the same time? Seems like just one side would be low if a strut was bad, it's unlikely 2 struts would go bad at the same time, feed back please?

THKS
Old 11-10-02, 08:25 PM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Did some investigating. Did the diagnostic thru the DLC port, and all shows well and normal, code 73. Took off the rear trunk RH liner and accessed the connector for the A/S. Did tests there too, forcing compressor on, relief blew fine; and forcing RH/LH rear to raise, lower, all worked well.

Checked the no2 Ride Height Control valves (near RH strut inside of trunk liner near back seat/gas tank), was ok.

But the car drops now and then, appears LH drops more. Weird thing is it does it only occasionally, in varied temperatures and times. It always pumps right up and drives great.

If the strut was bad, would it or would it not leak down EVERY time? what would cause it to do so randomly? Anyone had a no1 or 2 ride height control valve go out? Symptoms?

Learning more about the system, it's really amazing. The quality of engineering of the fittings, tubing, solenoids, etc is high. I don't mind putting a new strut on, if it's bad, just want to be sure it is the cause and not a sticky solenoid. It's hard to check for leaks because most of the time it will sit fine all night and all day.

Will update as I 'learn' more!
Old 11-11-02, 10:13 AM
daven3
Driver School Candidate

Default Air suspension quirk

I found that if I set my ride height setting to HI right before I parked it, and let is rise, then switched my car off it stayed up. After certain driving characteristics that would cause my car to have to add air to the system it stayed up. For instance, my office parking lot is a right turn followed by a quick left and then a hard left into my parking space. The strut needing replacement was the rear passenger side. With all the load on the passenger side due to the left turns into the lot, the vehicle suspension pumped up. Then I would switch off the car, not allowing it to settle to it's correct height and it would stay. Coming into the lot the other direction (two entrances) would cause the car to drop when I came out because of the load on the opposite side of the car.
My guess is the leak was only in a certain portion of the strut and when it raised above that leak it held air????
I finally spent the money to have the dealer fix it and it has been great...I lowered the car to after I got it back and it looks great now.

Last edited by daven3; 11-11-02 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-11-02, 11:09 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Thanks - Daven3, yes that could explain the random nature. I'll try setting it on HI before sitting and see if it has an effect. And also pay some attention to the conditions just before parking.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-02, 05:50 PM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Daven3:

Your tip on setting on hi before parking had the same effect on mine! Thanks for the tip, looking more and more like the left rear might need a new strut. ( I still don't understand why it doesn't leak down even on hi, seems like a leak would be a leak...) And after all the serv manual says to check for leaks, set the system on hi to do so...

Daven3 or anyone, where can I find a decent price on a replacement strut, I'll give Carson Toyota a call. Where did you get yours for $450 Daven3? New or rebuilt?

Last edited by gottahaveit2; 11-15-02 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-15-02, 07:08 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Call Keyes Lexus in Van Nuy. Ask for Ronnie. Tell him Dr. Phan refer you and tell him you are a member of this forum. He will hook you up for $650 per AS brand new. The Lexus list price is $1050.00. $450 is possible its used. I would get a brand new one for an additional $200.
Old 11-16-02, 01:18 AM
paomien168
Driver School Candidate

my 91 LS is coming up on 160K, and I've had the front driver's side strut replaced already; my stealership here in NY, Rallye Lexus, charged me $900 and change plus labour, and this was about 5 or 6 years ago when the car had about 93K. The rear driver's one sags once in a while, although it rides fine when driving, it has a tendency to bottom out once in a while if you go over bad enough dips. Do you have the number to that Lexus dealer that offers the A/S strut for $650? Thanks!
Old 11-16-02, 01:23 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Ronnie from the Parts Dept. Keyes Lexus 818-379-6700
Old 11-18-02, 10:07 AM
daven3
Driver School Candidate

Default Air Strut

New strut for the right rear...$494.93 (Sorry I missed it by $50)
Lexus of Dayton (937-438-3800)
Ask for John in parts.

I checked the strut. It was new. And I could not find a used part anywhere...

He told me to send you all in!
Old 11-18-02, 10:23 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Great! Dave3, HealerHand - you guys and ClubLexus are a great source for info!

Since mine is acting up intermittently, I'm going to keep monitoring it for a bit. It'll go for days and just act perfect, then ...

I'll be changing the strut myself, so I'll take some pics for anyone interested in DIY.
Old 11-18-02, 10:27 AM
daven3
Driver School Candidate

Post Air strut

Oh sure...do it yourself NOW after I paid to have MINE done!!!

Do send pictures. I would like to do the other side myself if I need to.
Old 11-18-02, 10:30 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by gottahaveit2
Great! Dave3, HealerHand - you guys and ClubLexus are a great source for info!

Since mine is acting up intermittently, I'm going to keep monitoring it for a bit. It'll go for days and just act perfect, then ...

I'll be changing the strut myself, so I'll take some pics for anyone interested in DIY.
Oh I'll be very interested, because I would like to change mine myself also, the past few days in the morning, the front wheels where actually inside the wheel well, couldn't even see the top.
Old 11-18-02, 01:49 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

$495??? that is a great deal. I know the Lexus List price is $1050. It was $960 few months ago. $495 is cheaper than some used AS strut.

Changing the AS struts is not that hard. The front struts are self explaintory. Just remember to unscrew the air inlet line. Its located in the engine bay.

For the rear: You need to remove the seats. If you need instructions, please see retro website for complete instruction on removing the seats. Other than that, you can change one in about 30 minutes
Old 11-18-02, 01:58 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I just called John from Dayton Lexus. This is what i got from him:

90-92 Front: $986
Rear: $594

93&Up Front: $893.35
Rear: $494.00

Depending on which model year you have, you will have different price. Now, I paid $650 for a $986 AS Strut. I have a 1990 and front was bad. What above person said was correct, your car year will determine the price.

Quick Reply: Air suspension...........