LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
Old 12-16-14, 12:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

Whining sound from front of engine??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 09:48 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
if u look at ur fan clutch, the fan bracket is behind it. its a little annoying to remove it since u have remove the timing covers and etc.
I'm having a similar problem right now on my '91 LS400. Squealing, fluid-sounding noise, just started appearing, then got really bad. I was supposed to leave on a trip yesterday, but am here fixing the car. Good thing I did not risk it. Here's what I did:
checked belt condition (not too bad, but could be replaced [will be])
belt tensioner marks within good range
belt tensioner moves like it should
removed fan (4 nuts). noise still there.
fan pulley came off with all kinds of metallic junk behind it
fan pulley bearing is clearly shot - problem found.

Now I'm trying to remove the fan bracket. I have the service manual, but the instructions are deep within the T-belt service instructions, so it is not clear how much I can skip along the way.

Thanks for the info that I need to remove the timing covers. Any more detailed info will help. Too bad this hit now. I really need to be gone on my trip.
Old 04-04-11, 02:00 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Finally got the bracket out. The secret is that there are two 14mm bolts that come in from the side, near the AC compressor. And yes, it appears that this is a secret - I did not find that info in all the online searching or the service manual. I ended up draining the coolant, and removing the battery, battery tray, fan shroud, upper coolant hoses, timing belt covers, intake, etc. It seems like I'm at least half way to the timing belt job.

OP, I expect you have the same problem. When I first heard the sound a few days ago, it sounded like the PS fluid must be low, and there was some correlation with the power steering (which makes sense, since both the fan and the PS pump are on the drive belt).

With the fan and the drive belt off, pull off the fan belt pulley and see if the bearing is smooth. In my case, it was obvious due to the ~3 mm of play and a few teaspoon fulls of metal filings inside the fan pulley. Kind of amazing that it got this bad before making any noise that I noticed.

Let me know if you have any questions - while it is still fresh in my mind.
Old 04-04-11, 04:18 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

www.lexls.com shouldve helped with some visuals.
Old 04-04-11, 05:15 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
www.lexls.com shouldve helped with some visuals.
It helped a little. Following the T-belt job instructions there, it shows the fan bracket being removed with the AC compressor still in place. The service manual (which always seems to tell you to remove more than you need to) has compressor removal as one of the previous steps. So lexls.com helped to let me know to ignore that. But I did not see any mention on lexls about those bolts coming in from the side. Luckily I did not break anything, but I probably removed more than I needed to just because I needed better views/clearance to figure it out.

The replacement part was supposed to be in by 3:00 today, but that got delayed until 7:30 AM tomorrow. Hope I can remember all the steps to put it back together.
Old 04-04-11, 07:19 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
It helped a little. Following the T-belt job instructions there, it shows the fan bracket being removed with the AC compressor still in place. The service manual (which always seems to tell you to remove more than you need to) has compressor removal as one of the previous steps. So lexls.com helped to let me know to ignore that. But I did not see any mention on lexls about those bolts coming in from the side. Luckily I did not break anything, but I probably removed more than I needed to just because I needed better views/clearance to figure it out.

The replacement part was supposed to be in by 3:00 today, but that got delayed until 7:30 AM tomorrow. Hope I can remember all the steps to put it back together.
Well, if you don't remember the steps to install it you have the manual. The reason the lexls.com steps shows the A/C still in is b/c it can stay in. But on step #20 it says to remove 4 bolts, 2 of those 4 bolts are the 2 in the A/C compressor. All the other bolts on the fan bracket are already out so you don't count those.
Old 04-18-11, 03:58 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow looks like you found the problem to your sound. Sounds like hell of a job there.

I just flushed my ps system and bought new dexron III and it has not been helping :-( so i guess i might need to do the same thing as you have been through. what is the part # ? i will order it from sewellpartsonline.com so i dont have to wait on it.

Have you replaced it yet?
Old 04-19-11, 01:12 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rollaboy

Is there any chance I could impose upon you to take pictures at each step of this while you go through with this and post a tutorial? It would be a great tutorial. I believe I've got the same problem, and I am totally at a loss when reading the above.
Old 04-19-11, 07:14 AM
sethjon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Hey folks

I suddently got this whining sound from front of the engine. i cant locate it exsactly but it sounds almost like theres not enough oil in the power steering. But there is plenty and the sounds doesnt come from the pump.

it follows the rpms.

yesterday i tried to take of the belt and started up the engine. the sound was gone.

could this be the waterpump on its way out? :-/
Could be the bearing on the pump but I think its one of the bearings on a pulley. Remove the belt and turn the pulleys by hand.