LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

N to D thump??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 09:10 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N to D thump??

whenever im driving on the freeway and i put the car in neutral do to a patch of ice or whatever the reason when i go to put it back in d i get a hard thump. I have done the filter and cleaned the pan 10 000 miles ago, ive done several toyota type 4 drain and fills ( i do this every other oil change or so). Tranny mount has been changed, with no difference.

Idle is 600 rpm, perhaps its the tranny kickdown cable? (the one directly behind the throttle position cable when facing it) but does anyone know how to adjust it?

Last edited by kuziwk; 03-28-11 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-28-11, 09:36 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Check your driveshaft. It could be the U-joints or the center support bearing. When you put it in N the RPMs lower but the driveshaft is still spinning fast, you drop it back into D and the driveshaft will jump. Also could be the rear differrential. Jack up the rear end, put in Nuetral, and spin tires and jiggle the driveshaft back and forth, listen for it to bang or click.
I had that same thump when I put it in N then D the way you did but now if I do that I just raise the RPMs a little before putting back in gear.
Old 03-28-11, 09:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what deanshark said plus

the trans mount and/or engine mounts.
Old 03-28-11, 10:13 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
what deanshark said plus

the trans mount and/or engine mounts.
i know i need engine mounts however i never thought this would really be the cause of this
Old 03-28-11, 10:17 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by deanshark
Check your driveshaft. It could be the U-joints or the center support bearing. When you put it in N the RPMs lower but the driveshaft is still spinning fast, you drop it back into D and the driveshaft will jump. Also could be the rear differrential. Jack up the rear end, put in Nuetral, and spin tires and jiggle the driveshaft back and forth, listen for it to bang or click.
I had that same thump when I put it in N then D the way you did but now if I do that I just raise the RPMs a little before putting back in gear.
Ok so what did you do that fixed the issue because it sounds exactly like mine, labour to replace u joint and center support bearing? Also did you notice shift's were smoother, or not really?
Old 03-29-11, 02:25 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Engine and tranny mounts can cause the thump. Also worn bushing on the differential may also be suspect.
Old 03-29-11, 04:30 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by trukn1
Engine and tranny mounts can cause the thump. Also worn bushing on the differential may also be suspect.
this would make the most sense, either that or the engine mounts or both. Reason being is due to the fact that when i go from P to D or N to D while idling at normal temp with my foot on the brake it lurches forward into D. As i said i changed the tranny mount. If this was a driveshaft/u joint issue's it would be a bang or clank noise when i go from P to D rather than a jump or lurch, not to mention the car does not vibrate or shutter at highway speeds or while accelerating...minus the minor engine vibrations due to worn mounts.

What is the procedure for changing the diff mount?
Old 03-29-11, 05:28 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Default Changing differential mounts.... hard job!

Changing the differential mounts is a pain as they do not cost much and I bought them here in UAE for $15 each and 2 are required and I assume they are the same for all years and mine is a 99 but takes a lot of time for changing!

My differential had to come down to be able to remove the mounts and then new mounts inserted with a device which helps to do so, since my stupid mechanic did not have he used light taps from a hammer which is wrong but more than an year they are still great. And yes I had the thump before and if your differential mounts are broken, then your car will make a loud noise from your rear when going over potholes as if something is broken in the back and is very noticeable noise.

For removing the differential the whole rear lower suspension had to be opened and driveshaft needed to be disconnected which easily took about 1 hour or so as a group of people were working on it with me complaining but they were just arrogant and annoyed me and I objected the hammer thing too, but if one person is working then it will take longer. And plus they had power tools and my car was a high height. Plus the differential is very heavy as I think more than 50 kg and near the vicinity of 80 kg or so as they were moaning when they had to hold it.... it was just priceless to what they did!

Well there are 2 differential mount cushions and two upper mount stopper which are also in the same price range so I would recommend changing them all while you are there just to be safe. I just replaced the mount cushions the two big black in the rear in the pic and not the others and should have done it but have purchased them but since they are still ok at 150k but slightly loose, I just didnt do the job again and pay more money for it.

With the cushions changed the differential became tighter as my car was slipping too much when broken and it brought it back under control

Best of luck and hope your problem is resolved.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LexusLS400_2000-Manual.pdf (57.2 KB, 336 views)

Last edited by waseem3000; 03-29-11 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pic
Old 03-29-11, 05:44 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by waseem3000
Changing the differential mounts is a pain as they do not cost much and I bought them here in UAE for $15 each and 2 are required and I assume they are the same for all years and mine is a 99 but takes a lot of time for changing!

My differential had to come down to be able to remove the mounts and then new mounts inserted with a device which helps to do so, since my stupid mechanic did not have he used light taps from a hammer which is wrong but more than an year they are still great. And yes I had the thump before and if your differential mounts are broken, then your car will make a loud noise from your rear when going over potholes as if something is broken in the back and is very noticeable noise.

For removing the differential the whole rear lower suspension had to be opened and driveshaft needed to be disconnected which easily took about 1 hour or so as a group of people were working on it with me complaining but they were just arrogant and annoyed me and I objected the hammer thing too, but if one person is working then it will take longer. And plus they had power tools and my car was a high height. Plus the differential is very heavy as I think more than 50 kg and near the vicinity of 80 kg or so as they were moaning when they had to hold it.... it was just priceless to what they did!

Well there are 2 differential mount cushions and two upper mount stopper which are also in the same price range so I would recommend changing them all while you are there just to be safe. I just replaced the mount cushions the two big black in the rear in the pic and not the others and should have done it but have purchased them but since they are still ok at 150k but slightly loose, I just didnt do the job again and pay more money for it.

With the cushions changed the differential became tighter as my car was slipping too much when broken and it brought it back under control

Best of luck and hope your problem is resolved.
hmm, well i dont think they are broken but at 200 000 miles im sure they need to be replaced (in my case). Where did you get the mounts from? im unfamiliar with the term "UAE". The "inserting device" is called a bushing press, haha.
Old 03-29-11, 05:46 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

United Arab Emirates and from the dealership for Toyota/Lexus and yes that was the word I was looking for... lol
Old 03-29-11, 05:47 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Oh you must know Dubai located in the United Arab Emirates
Old 03-29-11, 05:57 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

The place with the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa. Most expensive hotel in Mid East (probably world) Burj Al Arab, Palm Islands and many other things... I bet you must have heard about them at least about Dubai...
Old 03-29-11, 06:01 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by kuziwk
hmm, well i dont think they are broken but at 200 000 miles im sure they need to be replaced (in my case). Where did you get the mounts from? im unfamiliar with the term "UAE". The "inserting device" is called a bushing press, haha.
UAE (United Arab Emirates)
Bushing press? Never heard of it. Hammer and large socket.
Old 03-29-11, 06:04 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Well they do that but ideally as "Lexus" says bushing press but they just use hammer and large socket as you said... lol!
Old 03-29-11, 09:34 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Im not so sure about the hammer and large socket, i legitly think there is a press that is used although i wont know for sure. Any decent shop "should" have one. I dont believe i've ever heard a loud noise going over potholes minus the front driver strut rod due to the worn cushion.., we had a BAD winter this year, now there are tons of potholes. I must have had my cars belly elevated and lofted on snow a few times aswell.