LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help. Coilover install - Megan EZ

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 05:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

remove the wheel, loosen the bottom collar ring. remove the bottom strut bolt and turn.
Old 07-21-11, 06:09 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
remove the wheel, loosen the bottom collar ring. remove the bottom strut bolt and turn.
Thanks was hoping it could be done without taking out that bottom bolt. Was just a pain to get the strut out from there guess i just need more practice.
Old 07-21-11, 06:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there's another way.
loosen the lower lock ring, then turn the WHOLE SHEBANG (shock assy, spring mounts, collars) into/out of the lower bracket. use the lower spring perch to thread out of the bracket and the upper perch to thread into the bracket.
Old 07-21-11, 07:21 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
there's another way.
loosen the lower lock ring, then turn the WHOLE SHEBANG (shock assy, spring mounts, collars) into/out of the lower bracket. use the lower spring perch to thread out of the bracket and the upper perch to thread into the bracket.
Okay i got you. raise the car prob take off wheel. loosen the lower perch use the upper perch to raise the height and use the second perch to lower the height.

Rotate upper clockwise and second counter clockwise.

than tighten bottom ring when done.

Thanks
Old 07-21-11, 11:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

yeah, the spring perch itself shouldnt move at all, because you're going against the locking on each one, you should move the whole shock body.

you can use a strap wrench (rubber) on the threaded body of the shock if you dont wanna use the perches.
Old 07-27-11, 02:55 PM
jdog0411
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noticed this thread...don't mean to jack it, but rather than start a new thread I'll post here since it's related. I'm about to begin my install of Megan EZ's on my 90 LS with factory air suspension. Is there anything I need to remove from the factory air struts and install onto the Megans? Or do they come ready to install? I've torn my whole suspension apart and replaced the control arm bushings so I'm familiar with all of that, but I have never installed coilover's before this. Advice much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-11-11, 10:45 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Just to get some pics in here...

Megan EZ's installed, didn't touch the rears but raised the driver's front about 1/2" - 3/4" before calling it a night. Definitely wish I would have adjusted the front about 1.5" or so before installing... Oh well, tomorrow!

Old 10-12-11, 04:43 AM
tenchu
Driver

Lookin' good Stock
Old 10-12-11, 05:30 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Tell us how you feel the ride is. mine seems a bit bouncy to me. I tried different settings and i think i my height adjustment is a little higher than yours on the front. I may go back to regular ones and get kyb.
Old 10-12-11, 07:46 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tenchu
Lookin' good Stock
Looks like trash in the front, waaay too low.

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Tell us how you feel the ride is. mine seems a bit bouncy to me. I tried different settings and i think i my height adjustment is a little higher than yours on the front. I may go back to regular ones and get kyb.
For sure, hopefully I'll be able to raise it after work.
Old 10-12-11, 04:58 PM
tenchu
Driver

Originally Posted by I'mStock
Looks like trash in the front, waaay too low.
Needs bigger wheels, then it won't be so low :P
Old 10-13-11, 09:05 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Fixed.

Old 10-22-11, 04:59 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to add my exp. for you people thinking of getting these for your car.

If you want stock or close to stock ride height, forget it, the highest I can get on this set is still fairly low, I got about 1.5in fender gap, which is still low as can be.

I replaced air suspension, my car is right hand drive so its a little different.

If you drive in winter like me, and want a reasonable ride height in the front, crank the coilovers all the way up, Past the site hole, measure out 30mm (1.2in) - the total threaded amount, then thread on the bottem just enough to cover that 1.2, you can get an ok winter height, or good lowered height from this.

My rears fully down were just flush, thats as low as it wants to go, but it can go much much higher.
When taking out rear seats, there was no tab on my lower seat cushion, pull up hard and they snap out. Seat back is the same. Also rear deck piece, pull up hard, they snap out.

remember to replace your air suspension line grommets back into the fender with a little bolt or something to cover the hole in the grommets, or grime will come in through the fenders.

Rears took me 3 tries to get height right, I suggest putting lower bolt in the other way (away from tie rod end) to allow fast removal to get height right.

Also when you put rear upper seat back in place, make sure the 4 metal hooks that are on the body are nice and straight (mine 1 got bent to the side) it took me a little while to get the rear seat aligned right, you can tell by running fingers along back of seat top and the back shelf piece, if there is too much gap you did it wrong, try again!

Overall I have the ride setting on 11/15, its a bit choppy on rougher roads, but is vastly improved sway control on corners, you can tell it has very short stroke in the suspension, definatly lost some of the compliance. I would seriously consider more aggresive springs and aftermarket shocks over the coilovers to keep your stroke length and still lower it a bit, the coilover rebound seems a bit too fast, I wanted BMW, not Skyline, but all in all they work well enough.

*update* just got back from first highway trip, its jumpy in town but its a completly different car handling wise now, I can actually feel the road, cornering is a trilion times flatter, no more driving a ship, feels like my mk3 supra did, fantastic!

Last edited by Kingsoup; 10-22-11 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-22-11, 07:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you'll find the car rides much better when you have the front damping set firmer than the rear.
Old 05-22-13, 01:25 PM
Ls400RR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lol

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
okay, i got mine in the other day. installed first one on the front and its a good inch and half lower than the stock on the other side. Took me way to long to do the first one because when i unbolted the strut and it dropped down in the bracket and the end link nut was in the way. Finally got it out had to really push down on the lower arm to pull the strut up and over the nut. Hope the others go smoother.
wow this same thing happened to me but my asshat friend caused it. I was taking the lower bolt out and he started loosening the tower bolts then bam. It fell behing that damn nut. The first one took like 15mins. Gonna do the rears Friday.

Been searching for how to on the rear but really have found much. Anyone have some pointers for smooth sailing?

Quick Reply: Help. Coilover install - Megan EZ