LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400: Low in Montreal; a tale of scraping, knocking and breaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 11:57 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS400: Low in Montreal; a tale of scraping, knocking and breaking

Hello CLers,

Coming off the highway ramp today, I hit a BIG dip in the road (concrete motorway links) and was surprised at what I had heard. My exhaust is about 3/4in off the ground, I was asking for trouble I guess. Anyway, after the impact, the car immediately began to sound like an angry hotrod lol. I guess I must have smacked my exhaust on the ground and it cracked It doesnt sound that bad but it's so FRIGGIN LOUDDDD! I'm going to have to get it repaired along with my EGR pipe as soon as possible. I was hoping to get some spacers and do some bodywork but that'll have to wait. I hate Montreal roads.. they're probably amongst the worst in North America, in fact I'm pretty certain they are. Just thought I'd share that little annecdote with my fellow CLers

Have a good one!

Renato.
Old 04-12-11, 03:18 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

if your that low, you probably have a problem with the UCA hitting too huh.. haha
Old 04-12-11, 03:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

just jack it up and put those fiberglass exhaust sealer tape on lol.
Old 04-12-11, 03:23 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been there with california speed bumps lmao. I ended up wrecking all my piping :x. In the case i got a new exhaust fabbed up
Old 04-12-11, 03:25 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

preaching to the choir renato, perfect excuse to go aftermarket =)
Old 04-12-11, 04:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

its just a sign that you're almost low enough
Old 04-12-11, 04:50 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
That fiberglass tape works pretty good. At least it did for me. I just used it on my kids Corolla with a broken pipe. (2 pieces) Sealed it right up, had to wrap it 4 times. But it's still good after a week. Even though it's sealed I need to wrap a soup can around it with a couple clamps just so the 2 pipes don't jiggle apart. It beats paying $140 for the new pipe.
Old 04-12-11, 06:26 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Do.Man
if your that low, you probably have a problem with the UCA hitting too huh.. haha
euhhh yes! they fkn smack so hard sometimes i bet the indentation in the wheel well is huge... itll just be easier to cut the clearence hole (will be done soon) can't stand the knocking ughhhh!

i dont think ive ever seen fibergalss sealer tape.. here @ canadian tire we just that crappy aluminum tape the reduces itself to a mist after 1 day of usage :S

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
I've been there with california speed bumps lmao. I ended up wrecking all my piping :x. In the case i got a new exhaust fabbed up
Originally Posted by Brandicus
preaching to the choir renato, perfect excuse to go aftermarket =)
yeah, im thinking of fixing it for good and getting a full stainless 2.25in system with magnaflows and sexy tips

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
its just a sign that you're almost low enough

^^that's my post-cat piping and clearence, still not low enough lol? im amongst the lowest static daily drivers in montreal lol.. dont forget im a much longer wheelbase than civics and golfs which makes driving low that much harder :P

Last edited by renato902; 04-12-11 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 06:45 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Im sad.. my car needs love Rust in rear quarters needs to be adressed, egr pipe needs to be fixed, exhaust needs to be redone, timing belt coming up soon (in 30'000kms), new air filter, spark plugs, synthetic oil change, new front rotors and pads, brake fluid flush, tranny flush, fix minor p/s leak and only then can i restart the modding process.. I'm sad lol
Old 04-12-11, 06:48 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by renato902
Im sad.. my car needs love Rust in rear quarters needs to be adressed, egr pipe needs to be fixed, exhaust needs to be redone, timing belt coming up soon (in 30'000kms), new air filter, spark plugs, synthetic oil change, new front rotors and pads, brake fluid flush, tranny flush, fix minor p/s leak and only then can i restart the modding process.. I'm sad lol
its okay you will be fine I choose to do all my service before modding also!!!! You can look classy, but you ant gona look classy when your car is stuck on the side of the road
Old 04-12-11, 06:53 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

u guys dont have a autozone up there? they sell it there, the brand is like "Tiger XXXX" something.
Old 04-12-11, 07:47 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
its okay you will be fine I choose to do all my service before modding also!!!! You can look classy, but you ant gona look classy when your car is stuck on the side of the road
hehe i like that.. Renato approved

u guys dont have a autozone up there? they sell it there, the brand is like "Tiger XXXX" something.
Nah Li, we have no autozone up here.. we have to deal with measly canadian tire or other various (filled with clerks who know next to nothing about cars) autopart stores. How's your LS coming along? She running right?
Old 04-12-11, 08:37 PM
NjRican
Driver

join the club I cant wait to put a hole in my exhaust so i have a reason to get one made that tucks good. just cant sell the wife on why i need it done till i put a hole in it lol
Old 04-12-11, 08:50 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NjRican
join the club I cant wait to put a hole in my exhaust so i have a reason to get one made that tucks good. just cant sell the wife on why i need it done till i put a hole in it lol
just go lower, solves everything
Old 04-13-11, 09:10 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hated how low the stock exhaust hangs, so I went custom piping and tucked it all the way up above the frame. Hit frame now before hitting my exhaust

Quick Reply: 95 LS400: Low in Montreal; a tale of scraping, knocking and breaking