LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My Cold Air Intake: More Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 02:58 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jbrady

Eric, do you mean that you cleaned all the tubing up to an including the throttle or that you modified the parts?

Post some pics
cleaned the tubing and the throttle itself and modified the parts as well.

I will try to post pics if I run into a digi cam.
Old 04-21-03, 12:37 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JTJerryls400 : I was wondering have you taken the car for smog yet? Because I heard this kind of an adjustment maynot pass the visual inspection of smog... and what kind of air filter are you running? I was thinking of trying to find a TRD filter or sometin

Also, have you used a heat shield yet? Cuz I'm about to do the same exact thing as you, but everyone keeps posting about heat from the radiator and engine around the ABS.. .any sugestions?
Old 04-23-03, 09:39 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by persian451
JTJerryls400 : I was wondering have you taken the car for smog yet? Because I heard this kind of an adjustment maynot pass the visual inspection of smog... and what kind of air filter are you running? I was thinking of trying to find a TRD filter or sometin

Also, have you used a heat shield yet? Cuz I'm about to do the same exact thing as you, but everyone keeps posting about heat from the radiator and engine around the ABS.. .any sugestions?
This type of air box mod should not create a problem, everything is still stock. A drop in filter from TRD will not effect smog either.
Old 04-23-03, 10:17 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

you know if they even make a TRD filter for my car?
Old 04-23-03, 10:25 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by persian451
you know if they even make a TRD filter for my car?
No, I dont think they do. The SARD EX Power Filter is one type though, but they are in Japan.
Old 04-24-03, 12:25 AM
LS4zerozeO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently tried the intake mod and the improved low-end torque and sound is amazing! I havent built my heat shield yet and my filter is left exposed. About which filter will have an improvement, I have used a drop in filter by K&N before the intake mod and there was a noticable improvement ( That was without the mod, just to remind you). I tried the mod with the stock filter and the K&N filter. The K&N does have an improvement over stock but nothing that dramatic. I do not have access to a dyno so I wouldnt know the technical data. K&N filters can be found at Kragen or Autozone but you have to order them @ about 80 bucks. I think it is worth it even without the intake mod, all my other cars have them. They have a one million mile warrantee as well. Good Luck.
Old 04-24-03, 08:10 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

You're right but I stil cant fathom an oil filter actually doing anything with the kind of mod jbrady described... I think oem might be better and "safer".. but then again.. no one will find out until the long run
Old 04-25-03, 10:02 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Retro,

I dont think the Injen will work as far as increase HP. Its a nice piece, but i would not spend that amount of money and not getting any additional HP gain (if any). I guess if I have a N/A engine, i would cut the passenger side fender (where you see a square hole in the picture above) and run a tube into the fender and get fresh air from there.
Old 05-22-08, 07:16 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Default My SHORT RAM intake

I personally have a short ram intake. I modified the MAF mounting block to fit the mounting holes on the 1st GEN LS and have a nice big universal cone filter. It is a tight fit but worked out well! I left the air baffles over the radiator becuase it directs cold air from the vents in the front grill over towards the intake cone, however I did toss all of the other black molded baffling. I have also picked up a new MAF adapter made of billet aluminum that bolts right on! No modification needed, after a long search I found it and picked it up. I also picked up a 90% bend and 65% bend that I am going to use in order to take piping all the way back to the throttle body replacing the ugly stock black piping with chrome also lose the second baffle right behind the MAF sensor. The only chalenging thing will be adding nipples for the 2 breathers that hook into the stock piping, eh shouldn't be that hard, wish me luck! I will post pics. I really enjoy the short ram mod and the whole piping will only be better. I like the sound and performance gains already, I recommend this mod to everyone who hasn't done anything to their intakes yet.

Last edited by L_Sport; 05-22-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-22-08, 07:32 PM
phobs
Rookie

That short ram looks nifty . I did the jbrady mod for the 2nd gen LS and made my own heat shield to reduce the hot temperature heat (summer is soon to come) in the engine bay blowing into my intake from the radiator fan. So far so good, I am still calculating if this mod is actually MPG friendly or not comparing to the stock set up so I'll let you guys know.

Old 05-22-08, 07:39 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Looks good bro! You might wanna get a more durable filter though like a K&N drop in or something that is re-usable. My mod with new billet adapter and intake cone ran about 65 bucks and was worth it for a clean look, it will look nice with strut tower bar that I have on order as well. I am considering dropped the whole black air shroud or baffle that directs air to the filter. I don't know it it's better or worse to have it.
Old 05-22-08, 08:05 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

how much dust did you have to look under to find this thread?

Jbrady intake rocks.
Old 05-22-08, 11:21 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
how much dust did you have to look under to find this thread?

Jbrady intake rocks.
I bit, I like to research before I just go asking questions you know?
Old 05-23-08, 10:05 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

I did the Lexkost so I didn't have to cut anything. Put some door trim around the filter and clipped it in, left the grill ducting.

Lost 2mpg

And there is little to no advantage to a K&N filter with the JBrady or Lexkost set-up.
Old 05-23-08, 10:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrome04
I did the Lexkost so I didn't have to cut anything. Put some door trim around the filter and clipped it in, left the grill ducting.

Lost 2mpg

And there is little to no advantage to a K&N filter with the JBrady or Lexkost set-up.
meh, you're one of the very few who have seen mpg drops.

ive run the lexkost mod on both my current and past LS' and have seen equal or increased mpg.

Quick Reply: My Cold Air Intake: More Pictures