LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My Cold Air Intake: More Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 12:43 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...seems so odd. I thought I'd improve it....

Did you do any "ducting" of extra cold air? I didn't want to cut up my fenders so I just left the grill ducting on..

Maybe I'll give it another try. I've done some more maintinence and got a K&N... so who knows.
Old 05-25-08, 02:05 AM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Default Upgraded MAF Adapter

Hope this post helps every one out there who has been thinking of going with a short ram intake mod. All of the adapters or intake kits on the net that I found for the first gen lex were priced at about 130 - 150 bucks! WOW that is a chunk of change, so I decided to go with universal parts and make them work. The universal billet adapter I went with I found at my local auto parts store and was about 12.99 and reusable high flow cone filter was about 21.99. Now these are prices I can work with. However there was a little modification involved. Although the adapter was universal the holes it came with still did not line up so I had to make my own (make sure that the adapter you buy has a big mounting plate so you can make your own holes).

Total price about 35 bucks
Total time for mod about an hour (considered removal of old restrictive air box)

Here is my old adapter before I tossed it. If you notice between the filter and the MAF there is a gray plastic adapter with bolts holding it on. That adapter was a temp fix, it was too small and the holes didn't line up so I notched the outside edges so it would fit onto the MAF and the nuts tighten down on it to hold it in place. "No Bueno" but a quick fix until I found a better adapter.

As you can see the quality upgrade with the billet aluminum universal adapter over the plastic crappy one I was using. Even though they come with some pre-drilled holes and some pre-tapped holes closer to the center that you can drill if needed none of the holes lined Up!!! URRR frustrating.

so here I am pressing a piece of cardboard to the studs on the MAF so I can make a template

marked the imprints with a sharpy so I could see the holes.

I then drilled the temple with my drill to make the holes through the cardboard, then placed the template over the mounting plate of the adapter then marked through the template with the sharpy and transfered the holes to the adapter. Then I drilled the new holes on the adapter. It slid nicely right onto the MAF after that!

I then bolted it right on! The black hole you see on the adapter is an optional breather to insert a mas air flow sensor wire which the 1st gen doesn't have or any LS I think but it doesn't matter cause I just slid the filter over it and clamped it down so it doesn't effect anything. The seal is air tight.

Here is the air filter mounted on the new billet adapter. Nice fit, nice look, nice performance and a good upgrade from that temp piece of plastic I once had on there! Now for the rest of the piping behind the MAF! I will post pics of that as well.

Last edited by L_Sport; 05-25-08 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-25-08, 10:02 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This really does not qualify as a cold air intake . Even the BFI for the SC has more space for outside injection and it is not considered a cold air intake.
The opening is so small that it is in no way similar to the opening of the intake piping it is feeding. So where is the engine going to vacuum up the rest of air from since the straw sized opening is at max ? You go tit , nice and hot engine air the killer of all performance and mileage and the onset of pre detonation.
Nice thought , but put the oem one back in .
Old 05-26-08, 11:52 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Why post this then make a totally new post with it??

and once again, that hot air is killin' ya smalls!
Old 05-26-08, 02:51 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcrome04
Why post this then make a totally new post with it??

and once again, that hot air is killin' ya smalls!
because this was not originally my post plus I wanted to make it more specific to the short ram intake with heatshield. I shouldnt have posted in this one my bad.